mtbr member

Clyde Friendly All Mountain Frame

Hello fellow Big Boys,

I am 250lbs and I am currently in the market for an "All Mountain" frame. I am not looking to spend over $2000. Are there any suggestions?

Thanks-

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Clyde frame

It all depends on what youre looking for. I rode a Turner RFX for a few years and absolutely loved it. I basically ran it with components the smaller folk would consider "downhill", but I considered aggressive XC. It was the best FS frame Ive been on, but Ive recently moved to a Transition TransAm and, in all honesty, its a bit harsher just as much fun for a big guy. If you want to put your cash into your components, go with a steel hardtail, but, you also cant go wrong if you find a good price on a used RFX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use a Turner 5 Spot and it's just the best... Never put a foot wrong, it's bullet proof and I give it some serious abuse!!

mtbr member
    Ventana x5 has worked well for me, (you can go 6 inch or 5.5 of rear travel) and if you want them to customize it for you Sherwood can do it at a decent price...

Former Bike Wrench
    Lenz Sport Behemoth

Underskilled
    Most AM frames by design will be Clyde friendly.

You need to pay attention to wheels and axles more,
    Make sure it comes with a 20mm axle, and bolt through rear, this is more important than the frame!

A good set of wheels will help a LOT.

My AM bike is a Niner WFO with a Dorado / ISX6. Amazing at everything.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just bought a fuel ex 9, I am tipping the scales at 225 these days. In the past I was as heavy as you and I rode with a liquid 25 for 5 years till the stock wheels gave out. The frame was bomb proof. The fuel feels all around better, it's newer and a higher trim level. trek claims that it will handle up to 300lb, so the warranty is good. I think going with something more on the XC side of all mountain will be a better unless your planing on huck-off big stuff. To be honest I have found that at 220+ you need all the help you can get and a slightly more aggressive bike helps you move your weight around. I don't miss the 10mm travel at all. The liquid felt like it could roll over anything but it sucked on the climbs, I have to admit I am still not were I was with the liquid on the down hills, But in time I believe the fuel will be much better. I am only 2 rides in on the fuel, and already I can climb things I could not before(I have yet to engage propetal). I have a co worker on an old blur with less travel and about the same wieght and he can kick my ass due to his experience not his bike. don't get to hung up on travel. that is my .02

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMammothRider View Post
    I use a Turner 5 Spot and it's just the best... Never put a foot wrong, it's bullet proof and I give it some serious abuse!!
    Turner's are nice, but not bullet proof. Here is my buddies Sultan (29er version of the 5 Spot) and he's only about 205lbs

mtbr member
    How tall are you?

The all mountain segment has made several burly, well pedalling bikes that work for heavier guys. Kona makes 22" versions of several of their bikes if you're tall and heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm quite happy with my K2 lithium, wicked strong, a touch heavy, but so am I. 255lbs

I've never had a problem with standard axels, though I bet they would be very nice.

make sure to have a stiff fork,

Dirt Deviant
    I had good luck on my BMC Superstroke and my On One Inbred. Currently on a Chumba XCL. About to move to a Santa Cruz Nomad.
    Soon will be parting with the BMC and Inbred......lightening up the XCL for XC duties and beefing up the Nomad for more aggressive stuff.
    I tip the scales around 300.
    How tall are you?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Gettin my Clyde on
    Im 5'10-11" and go somewhere around 220 and I ride a large Heckler with a Fox DHX with a 450# coil and it rides amazing for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    Most AM frames by design will be Clyde friendly.

You need to pay attention to wheels and axles more,
    Make sure it comes with a 20mm axle, and bolt through rear, this is more important than the frame!

A good set of wheels will help a LOT.
    I agree with this as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    +1 on the Heckler

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It would be nice if people would put the approximate retail price of the bikes you all are talking about. I have to Google search every one of them and I am extremely disappointed when I see that they are $3000+.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I have 3 Turners.
    I am close to 250# with gear.
    No problems or issues. Usually ride XC/Freeride.
    One thing about Turner they are great to deal with if there is a problem even on 2nd hand frames. They will take care of you not like some other companies.

Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just bought a Giant Reign 2 for about 2000. I'm 240ish and am loving it. I took it in the Bike park at the local ski hill and it performed great. I'm not into to drops and huge jumps ..... just riding through thank you! I've also ridden it xc and nice mellow down hill single track and its the tits! love love love this bike. Time will try on the wear and tear.... Frame is lifetime warranty though.... can't go wrong.