Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Clyde and Flats...

OK, so I keep having flats. 275lbs on a Trek HiFi Pro 29er. Bontrager Tires and Tubes with 45-50 psi with lots of thorn trees in the area. Stans, thorn proof tubes, strips inside the tire, kevlar tires, tubless w/Stans ???? What do you do ?? I am going crazy and broke investing in a tube per ride and either a patch job or long walk back......I have taken the tire off, turned it inside out, broke out the magnifiying glass and can find nothing inside or out in my tire. It's always a small puncture.....all my little friends say go tubeless with Stan's...

mtbr member
    tubeless and Stan's does seem to do pretty well with small punctures. My experience with thick tubes is... basically if something gets through your tire, it's getting through your tube no matter how thick the tube is. Those tire liners, I have seen one cause a flat (by wearing a hole in the tube), no idea how many it prevented. I've had pretty good luck with the Specialized armadillo tires and flats, not so much with the Continental protection line (so kevlar tires can be hit or miss).

you don't say how wide your tires are. 45-50 seems like a lot of pressure, and that can make you more prone to punctures. Were you getting pinch flats at lower pressures? lowering 5-10 psi is the first thing I'd try.

mtbr member
    Tubeless is the way to go. I'm 6'5" and 220 and used to pinch flat, snake bite often here in
    the rocks of Colorado. Went tubeless 6 years ago with Stan's and I've never looked back.
    Very few tire issues now and I've used converted non-ust tires and ust tires with great results. I can't go the low pressures but about 35-38 psi works well without any squirm in the back. Tubeless works for clydes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Another vote for going tubeless. A friend as the Hi Fi Deluxe and I think his wheels came tubeless ready, so all you would need is the stans valve stems, and the stans sealant, no rim strips. I believe, ( But please confirm before you purchase).

Im about 225-230 and have had zero issues running tubeless. I am running at about 25-30lbs of pressure and have no major issues. I have burped a few fronts but I think that was due to me messing with to low of pressure or bead not seated properly. No issues of late.

Give it a try, it easy to do for a first timer, just watch stans videos on his website and you;ll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    285lbs, hifi deluxe and I run tubeless around 35-40 psi and have only had one flat in the past 100 miles and thats because I let the pressure get too low in the tire. I would run tubeless with stans if I was you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Facing the same issue you are on the flats. Heading to the LBS for some of Stan's sealant, I should be tubeless tonight.

Check out this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0

mtbr member
    hmmm...320 pounds at one time and never had a flat at 50psi...that's running through some pretty nasty rocks and roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Hey,

I was in the same boat as you. 280's and running 45-50 psi on DT 470 rims and 2.0 The Captains tires. I would get a flat every other ride. I finally went with Stans and run them at 35psi and haven't looked back.
    If you don't want to get the Stans Flow wheels you can always try and run your current rims ghetto tubeless if they're not tubeless already.

Good luck to ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    if you keep having flats make sure you don't have thorn or glass in the tire run your hand gently inside to see.Also look to make sure your spokes are not sticking trough the tape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I use to have flats all the time, Untill I installed new rim tape. The old tape looked fine and there was no spokes sticking though. Maybe a hole in the rim tape that you can't see.

mtbr member
    I've flatted 6 times in the last 2 weeks. Sounds like I need to look into the Tubeless option as well. I''m so frustrated right now I walked 6 miles to get back. However the coolest thing happened to me while I was walking. A smoking hot girl pulled up next to me to give me a ride. I thought it was like a penthouse forum story! Then my buddy who went back to the car pulled up. Drat!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Try a tire...

Quote Originally Posted by spclays1 View Post
    OK, so I keep having flats. 275lbs on a Trek HiFi Pro 29er. Bontrager Tires and Tubes with 45-50 psi with lots of thorn trees in the area. Stans, thorn proof tubes, strips inside the tire, kevlar tires, tubless w/Stans ???? What do you do ?? I am going crazy and broke investing in a tube per ride and either a patch job or long walk back......I have taken the tire off, turned it inside out, broke out the magnifiying glass and can find nothing inside or out in my tire. It's always a small puncture.....all my little friends say go tubeless with Stan's...
    Try a new tire - a few years back I had a similar problem. I never did figure out why, but once I put a new tire on, everything was better.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I tried the ghetto tubeless yesterday and it just did not work well. So I have Stan's kit for my rims coming, so I should be tubeless by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have fun fixing a tubeless flat out on the trails.

I'd suggest upgrading tires and tubes. Used to get pinch flats all the time, but using a set of 2.3" DH tires has stopped the problem. You can run low PSI without any issue. Specialized Clutch SX is my recommendation.

Plus, the extra rotating weight gets you better exercise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Its not hard to fix a tubeless flat, you carry a tube with you and put it in when you get a flat, really the same thing if you have a tube setup.

Clydesdale 29er
    I'm 275 on a HiFi and I only ever run 35 psi with tubes with no flats. Here in Georgia we
    don't have the thorn problem that the drier regions do but we have plenty of pointy rocks
    and roots. I run WTB Wolverine tires and cheap REI tubes. At our size it does take a little
    finesse to clear things without bashing. Keep us informed on your progress.

PS - my problem is freehub bodies. I've destroyed five of those now.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When I lived in Arizona goats head thorns were a constant annoyance. While not a perfect solution I went to slime in the tires and the problem went away.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haven't done the tubeless thing yet, since I'm old and set in my ways. I will tell you that Mr. Tuffys in your tires will stop most of the thorns, except the really persistent ones that find their way into a sidewall.

Lurker
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tach315 View Post
    if you keep having flats make sure you don't have thorn or glass in the tire run your hand gently inside to see.Also look to make sure your spokes are not sticking trough the tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by GotYaBeat View Post
    I use to have flats all the time, Untill I installed new rim tape. The old tape looked fine and there was no spokes sticking though. Maybe a hole in the rim tape that you can't see.
    These 2 posts make the most amount of sense to me. I had 3 flats in a week once, it turned out that I had a spoke sticking through the rim tape.

Since then, I really check my wheel every time I fix a flat or swap a tire. I've found a few small burrs that I polished, found another spoke issue that I had repaired and found a piece of wire inside the tire once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Try a new tire - a few years back I had a similar problem. I never did figure out why, but once I put a new tire on, everything was better.
    Same experience here.

mtbr member
    I will be Tubeless with Stans this Thursday...hope this works...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I used Stan's setup on my bike last week and it saved my butt this weekend. My wife's bike is going to be done this week. So far I am a happy customer.

mtbr member
    I have had several 15 mile rides with the Stan's/Tubeless setup..so far it's great..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You guys are running tubeless at 280 lbs. You are brave souls. At your weight , all it takes is for the tire to hit something edgy just right, and the tire will separate from the rim. I'm 275, and run the rear tubeless, but the consequences are not the same. I wouldn't trust the front without a tube. Just MO.

mtbr member
    Gettting stronger tires is the best solution for pinch flats, if you also go tubeless, even better. Since I use GEAX Saguaro TNT I havenīt had a pinch flat, and that is 6 months ago!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast