Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clyde Destruction

2K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  rinseflow 
#1 ·
Sort of funny.

First, let me set the scene. I live in AZ, home of the infamous Cholla Cacti. If you have ever encountered one, I'm sorry. Death could be an easier option.

I was out riding out local system that is only 1.5 miles from my house (http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoenix/fantasy-island-north-singletrack-aka-fins/) and decided I felt strong enough to climb one of the tougher climbs that I've never done.

Get half way up and there is a little ridge of rocks (about 10 inch step up) that I easily manualed over, then went to throw down a bit on the pedals to pull the back wheel over and continue climbing and all I hear is *SNAP*!

Guesses what it is?

My rear hub. Yep.

Well, falling to the right trying to get out of my pedals was a sight to see. My wife, who was only about 2 bike lengths behind me said she's never seen me move so fast. Popped out of my pedals (Thank god for how Crank Brothers release), landed on my feet, with my arm just barley scraping against a huge cholla cactus. Had I not got out of my pedals, I would have been going to the emergency room.

So, my question. Hub I won't break that is decently affordable? I was reading the wheel build thread and saw the Shimano Deore XT hubs were mentioned. Are they strong enough? (6'3, 320lbs)

See less See more
#5 ·
DKeeney said:
So, my question. Hub I won't break that is decently affordable? I was reading the wheel build thread and saw the Shimano Deore XT hubs were mentioned. Are they strong enough? (6'3, 320lbs)
That hub doesn't exist. I weigh 100lbs. less than you do and XT won't cut it. I've had good luck with Chris King, Hugi and Ringle. I still get off and push for the steep and/or technical climbs.

#7 ·
Nice work crushing the hub!! The rest of your bike must be bomb proof since your hub broke first. I'm not as big as you but 270 ish will still put a stress on gear. I dished out the extra $$ for some CK hubs and hope they will serve me well. In the long run, what's an extra few hundred bucks you're going to spend on gear if it keeps you out of the ER. :thumbsup:
It'll pay for itself.

Good luck bro!

#9 ·
?
What I meant was, a hub that you aren't going to crush. I know the Deore XT hub exists. I've broken a few. :(

"I try not to do this as much as I can. I may be a clyde, but I have strong legs and lungs, I can make most climbs."
I'm not saying you can't make the climb. What I meant was the equipment can't stand the punishment of us big guys. I got tired of replacing hubs so I have figured out where I need to jump off and push. My wallet can't stand the punishment of my ego or my pride.

#10 ·
what kind of hub did you kill?... you have your LBS look at it?... may have been a freak occurrence... maybe not...

i'm not far off your weight... don't have a problem with my hope XC hub + you get a pretty sweet sound from it :)... plan to try an XT next time around though... the price makes it worth a try...

#12 ·
I am not sure why some clydes have issue with shimano hubs. Personally the XT hubs are bullet proof. Of course if I clear 240lb I resolve myself to light beer and climbing is usually under duress. Only issue I have with them is the engagement is pretty slow. In the sub $100 rear hub market there is nothing that compares IME.

#21 ·
Dang. All this talk of XT hubs being bad for a clyde is really going to blow my meager budget. The Hopes and White Industries are even too spendy - Hadleys and Kings are definitely out (for me). The Halo is a possibility.

Hmmm..... what's a poor (literally) boy to do? Any other options for the, uh, thrifty clyde?

#23 ·
Just ride the XT's for now and hope they don't give out. Replacing them a few times is still cheaper then buying an expensive hub. So if you are on a really tight budget just save up and try and get trough. Also just remembered that I have had my SS for over a year and the hub on that is still fine it a Pivit Sealed 4 bearing. Not sure if you can by just the hub or what though and if they only make SS.

#24 ·
how long ago did you get those xt wheels?... the newer ones have changed a few things... including going from 17 to 32 engagment points... not sure what else...

for the price they are still hard to beat... for the price i'll be willing to risk it... stepping up to hope or something else is a bit to high for me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.