Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Clyde Destruction

Sort of funny.

First, let me set the scene. I live in AZ, home of the infamous Cholla Cacti. If you have ever encountered one, I'm sorry. Death could be an easier option.

I was out riding out local system that is only 1.5 miles from my house (http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoe...rack-aka-fins/) and decided I felt strong enough to climb one of the tougher climbs that I've never done.

Get half way up and there is a little ridge of rocks (about 10 inch step up) that I easily manualed over, then went to throw down a bit on the pedals to pull the back wheel over and continue climbing and all I hear is *SNAP*!

Guesses what it is?

My rear hub. Yep.

Well, falling to the right trying to get out of my pedals was a sight to see. My wife, who was only about 2 bike lengths behind me said she's never seen me move so fast. Popped out of my pedals (Thank god for how Crank Brothers release), landed on my feet, with my arm just barley scraping against a huge cholla cactus. Had I not got out of my pedals, I would have been going to the emergency room.

So, my question. Hub I won't break that is decently affordable? I was reading the wheel build thread and saw the Shimano Deore XT hubs were mentioned. Are they strong enough? (6'3, 320lbs)

mtbr member
    you clydes should be using DH stuff. What's your bike setup may I ask?

Former Bike Wrench
    pulled out 45...yes 45 Cholla spines out of my elbow back in 1998 riding the Mustang Trails when I was going to UNLV

And that was the better alternative to crashing into a Sword Yucca

Making fat cool since '71
    Hope and White Industries hubs are my favorite "not expensive" hubs. Chris King and Hadley are my favorite hubs when money doesn't matter. I have all of the above...no failures. Kings require more regular maintenance, but are great.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DKeeney

So, my question. Hub I won't break that is decently affordable? I was reading the wheel build thread and saw the Shimano Deore XT hubs were mentioned. Are they strong enough? (6'3, 320lbs)
    That hub doesn't exist. I weigh 100lbs. less than you do and XT won't cut it. I've had good luck with Chris King, Hugi and Ringle. I still get off and push for the steep and/or technical climbs.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    That hub doesn't exist.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    I still get off and push for the steep and/or technical climbs.
    I try not to do this as much as I can. I may be a clyde, but I have strong legs and lungs, I can make most climbs.

mtbr member
    Nice work crushing the hub!! The rest of your bike must be bomb proof since your hub broke first. I'm not as big as you but 270 ish will still put a stress on gear. I dished out the extra $$ for some CK hubs and hope they will serve me well. In the long run, what's an extra few hundred bucks you're going to spend on gear if it keeps you out of the ER.
    It'll pay for itself.

Good luck bro!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just trashed a Chumbaracing m5x rear hub yesterday on a climb. Looking right now into getting a CK hub.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    ?
    What I meant was, a hub that you aren't going to crush. I know the Deore XT hub exists. I've broken a few.

"I try not to do this as much as I can. I may be a clyde, but I have strong legs and lungs, I can make most climbs."
    I'm not saying you can't make the climb. What I meant was the equipment can't stand the punishment of us big guys. I got tired of replacing hubs so I have figured out where I need to jump off and push. My wallet can't stand the punishment of my ego or my pride.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    what kind of hub did you kill?... you have your LBS look at it?... may have been a freak occurrence... maybe not...

i'm not far off your weight... don't have a problem with my hope XC hub + you get a pretty sweet sound from it ... plan to try an XT next time around though... the price makes it worth a try...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Shimanos are nasty hubs, particularly for clydes. I've been disapointed by them for years...both as a consumer and wrench.

Brock...

29 some of the time...
    I am not sure why some clydes have issue with shimano hubs. Personally the XT hubs are bullet proof. Of course if I clear 240lb I resolve myself to light beer and climbing is usually under duress. Only issue I have with them is the engagement is pretty slow. In the sub $100 rear hub market there is nothing that compares IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much exactly your size and have had great luck with Halo Spin Doctor hubs. They can be a little hard to find in the US, but they're out there and can be had for less than $100.

http://www.halorims.com/Halo/product...hp?id=HUHASDR2

Specifically, the pawls are brittle and the springs are substandard leading to slippage and furthering pawl issues.

Brock...

banned
    Apr 2009
    You being a big guy I can image how you could break it easily. Fortunately you managed to have the reflexes to avoid the cactus (I can only imagine).

Plus size jersey model
    Do not get an xt hub I am 250lb and broke 3 last year. One broke m first day in Flaggstaff at the top of supermoto all that climbing and I had to try and coast down one of the best trails in AZ (didn't go so well). When i got home I splurged on a Hadley and have never had another problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Plus size jersey model
    The rim will but no go on that hub. I ran 717's without any problems. Get the 819 rims if you can they are great basically same rim as the crossmax.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sikwoodbiker... what specific model did you keep killing?... I wonder/hope the newer ones are more robust...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Plus size jersey model
    Not sure just thought there was one XT hub. The first one came on my old 717's then just replaced it after that.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Dang. All this talk of XT hubs being bad for a clyde is really going to blow my meager budget. The Hopes and White Industries are even too spendy - Hadleys and Kings are definitely out (for me). The Halo is a possibility.

Hmmm..... what's a poor (literally) boy to do? Any other options for the, uh, thrifty clyde?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    on my bike I have phil wood 36 hole tandem hubs. 14G spokes, sun ryno lite dh rims, wheels built for us shrek sized folks.

Plus size jersey model
    Just ride the XT's for now and hope they don't give out. Replacing them a few times is still cheaper then buying an expensive hub. So if you are on a really tight budget just save up and try and get trough. Also just remembered that I have had my SS for over a year and the hub on that is still fine it a Pivit Sealed 4 bearing. Not sure if you can by just the hub or what though and if they only make SS.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    how long ago did you get those xt wheels?... the newer ones have changed a few things... including going from 17 to 32 engagment points... not sure what else...

for the price they are still hard to beat... for the price i'll be willing to risk it... stepping up to hope or something else is a bit to high for me...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Plus size jersey model
    Yeah mine were 17p so they must have been the older ones. They are very hard to beat for the price plus once you have the 717s you always can upgrade the hub for that wheel at a later date if needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast