Thread: clyde cranks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

clyde cranks

6'4" and 275 lbs. I ride quite a bit of road and bike paths paved and not, and then for the most part smooth single track with occasional drops 2 foot max so far.

Right now on my Giant XTC2 Im running the stock ISOflow crank set. The flexing in it and the bottom bracket are driving me nuts.

Im wanting to upgrade to a stiffer crank set and a BB with the external bearings. But im on a pretty limited budget right now with the construction industry being the way it is around here.

I was kind of looking at the Truvativ FireX, and stylo 3.1 cranks, but if it is a noticeable difference I would spend the money to go right to a Shimano XT set up if need be.

Im open to other options as well.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you don't mind some extra weight... and want STRONG look at the Truvativ Hussefelt it's a BEAST... heavy but you won't have an issue with killing it lol... with the BB it's about $80
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Stay away from Truvativ. I had a Stylo on my Stumpy when I bought it and the non drive side crank arm would never stay tight, dropped the chain, and the chainrings were made of butter. That thing always gave me problems. I installed an XT crank, and every problem I ever had was instantly solved. XT = perfection.

If you want to spend less get a Shimano SLX. I'll never run any Truvativ crank after the experiences I had with mine.

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    Been running a Stylo 1.1 for over a month... and it's a dream. I do a lot of sprinting, and have noticed 0 flex.

mtbr member
    Had the Fire X and replaced it with XT from ChainReaction. Very nice. Am your height and weighed about the same as you during the switch. No problems, no worries. The chainrings are reasonable $-wise when it comes time to replace them.

Good luck & let us know what you go with!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I dont like spending money twice if I dont have to, so I think im gonna get a XT crankset. I see they are running right around 200 on Ebay with a bottom bracket.

Dirt Deviant
    I weigh more than you and run SLX cranks on all of my bikes.
    Great $$ to performance ratio.
    XT is nice too, but SLX works just fine as well.......and they look spiffy too........

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just recently bought a race face ride downhill version from chain reaction for $110. Only thing I have to compare it to is the flexy stock crankset from my 05 giant yukon, but its been very solid, no flex.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the SLX is not much heavier then the XT to boot... the x2 model comes with a very heavy bash from what I understand that if replaced it comes VERY close to the xt's weight... but has pedal inserts for extra strength.

XT is kewl... but SLX is just as good... wish I'd had money for them when the exchange rate at chain reaction had em for right over $100 grr...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm no heavy weight,but i like the feel of strong cranks,shimano saint.