mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Clyde considering going back to HT, 26". What do you think about this bike?

I've been away for a while and I just started riding regularly again. (just finished 2 years of school) I've been riding a 01 Jamis Dakar Expert for the past 8 years and now I'm looking to upgrade. The bike is fine and in great shape but I'm starting to feel that it's a little too small. And I've never been able to keep up the speed I used to have with my old HT. Suspension seems to soak up all my power. I miss the speed and preciseness of my old HT.
    I wasn't looking for a HT at the time, but I went into Performance and found this XXL Focus (that fits me perfectly) that I fell in love with:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400308

I was looking at a Giant Anthem X3 29er or a Trance X3 (the 26" Trance X3 actually rode better) but since I built my Jamis in 02, these bike prices have gone through the roof! That and the old school performance of the HT have me looking at this Focus. I think it's on sale for $1299.
    I know aluminum HT's can be fatiguing on real bumpy stuff, but I'm thinking fat tires and medium air pressue should help take the bite out. What do you guys think? Look for a better FS bike or try out this Focus?

BTW, I'm 250 suited up, 6'2" with a 32in inseam.
    Looking for a perfect fit and better ride overal this time.
    Trying to lose 20lbs this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nevermind. I've been cured of my insanity. Took the Focus for a long test ride today and realized that I could NEVER go back to a hard tail. I'm just too old. In the meantime, I bought some new handle bars and grips and changed positions/angles on my seat, stem and bars. Back to enjoying my current ride. I think I'll just save up for the Trance X3. That was the best FS bike I've ridden in a while, and nicely spec'd.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Take a ride on a 29er HT. It's not the same as a 26" HT. It's a much nicer ride IMHO. I'm not going to say it's like having FS because I like my 29er HT better than FS. Not guaranteeing that you will like it, but sounds like you might.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Update

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Take a ride on a 29er HT. It's not the same as a 26" HT. It's a much nicer ride IMHO. I'm not going to say it's like having FS because I like my 29er HT better than FS. Not guaranteeing that you will like it, but sounds like you might.
    I did test a really nice Access frame at Performance (LX/SLX Deore drive train) and I thought the front end was just way too high. Prob should have had them lower the stem and bars. It was nice and rolled really well over stuff but I couldn't help but feel that I would be destroying wheels all the time on this thig. I test rode a 29er Anthem X3 with high expectations and I did not find the ride to be as good as the Anthem X3 26" bike. In fact, I loved the regular X3!
    I went into my lbs to get a new chain ring for my Dakar and saw the X3 again this past Sat. Test rode it and my wife pulled the trigger and bought it for me as graduation gift. I'm such a happy camper now! This is the best FS bike I've ever ridden.
    I was never into a lot of travel anyway and I always hated how the frame bobbed when trying to sprint. This is like riding a front suspension only when sprinting. I love this thing!
    I wanted to like the 29ers, but I just didn't like the ride that much.
    Just wanted to share. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh
    but I couldn't help but feel that I would be destroying wheels all the time on this thig.
    Not at all! I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs, and I've yet to taco my 29er wheels. My first set that came with my Jamis Dakota 29er are WTB Dual Duty rims with 32h hubs and spokes. I rode them for a season (fairly aggressively too) with no issues. Then I had a set of hand built wheels made for me with 36h rims and hubs (Salsa Semi 29er coupled to Shimano XT hubs with DT Swiss comp spokes) I've ridden those wheels for two seasons now and they are still as true as when I first got them.

I continued to use the WTB wheels, with street tires on them so it was really easy to swap between street and dirt.

The difference with any wheel is in the assembly. Having a properly built wheel would make even middle of the road hubs and rims much stronger otherwise compared to machine built wheels.

gravity fighter
    Did you get the Trance or the Anthem
    They are both fantastic bikes, so congrats!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito
    Did you get the Trance or the Anthem
    They are both fantastic bikes, so congrats!
    2010 Antem X3. The ride just seduced me. Thanx.
    Here's a pic

http://****************/wp-content/up...ntain-bike.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clyde considering going back to HT, 26". What do you think about this bike?-giant-anthem-x3-2010-mountain-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    Not at all! I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs, and I've yet to taco my 29er wheels. My first set that came with my Jamis Dakota 29er are WTB Dual Duty rims with 32h hubs and spokes. I rode them for a season (fairly aggressively too) with no issues. Then I had a set of hand built wheels made for me with 36h rims and hubs (Salsa Semi 29er coupled to Shimano XT hubs with DT Swiss comp spokes) I've ridden those wheels for two seasons now and they are still as true as when I first got them.

I continued to use the WTB wheels, with street tires on them so it was really easy to swap between street and dirt.

The difference with any wheel is in the assembly. Having a properly built wheel would make even middle of the road hubs and rims much stronger otherwise compared to machine built wheels.
    Sounds like you got a nice setup. 36 spoke 29" wheels. Nice! I may experiment with them in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey shwndh,
    How does the Anthem feel rigidity wise? I was torn between the Anthem and Trance and seen allot of clydes were going by way of Trance for the slightly burlier frame and what not. I just don't want to get on a FS and have any noticeable amount of flex under me. I'm close to your size (6'3" and 255lbs).

Unless I get people I get people telling me the Trance climbs as well as the Anthem, im still unsure about my purchase.

- Pete