mtbr member

Clyde Conditioning

Well Im still new to mtbing so i expect some of my current obstacles to be conquered over time. That being said i am still finding climbing extreamly difficult. I have talked to a bunch of people about form and technique so I am ruling those out.

What are some of the best ways you guys condition yourselves for those long uphill battles?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Clyde Conditioning

Just keep riding. Know how far you made it up the hill last time and go farther each time.

Vincit qui patitur
    I always used speed and downshifted as needed.
    Now I have gotten to the point where I upshift at times.
    Climbs to me do suck but keep plugging away at it.
    I does get better.
    Except it's gotten harder for me since I gain back some of what I lost.
    I quit dipping snuff after 37 years.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What technique do you use? Are you a masher or a spinner? Is it a FS bike? How is your saddle set? Tell us what you do then we have a starting point!

mtbr member
    I find that to be better at climbing you need to get out and climb. Hit every hill you can hit. The ones you can't ride, try to get a little further each time. Those you can, climb faster or in a harder gear. Eventually things get easier. I also found that my climbing has dramatically improved after getting a single speed. I'd love to do some climbs on a geared bike now just to see how much difference there is. I'm not much for technique. I stay seated until it gets to hard then I stand. I mash the pedals and pull up on the opposite side grip.

mtbr member
    I found I became a better climber on my mountain bike after I got a road bike. But practice makes perfect (playing with positioning, gearing, etc).

Personally I have become quite the climber when I started weight training. Squats, weighted lunges, sumo dead lifts, sumo kettle squats, etc. Also incorporate some upper back stuff, like seated rows and upright rows. Helps keep you steady while climbing. I personally am climbing things that I wasn't able to do 10 years ago, and my bike is 10 lbs heavier than my bike from back then too!
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    it takes years to get better at it and your never gonna be good at it because it's physics at play, just like a lightweight rider is never gonna hit 50mph going downhill the way I can easily do. I used to spin too much uphills because I have a torn ACL in my left knee. I started trusting myself to push it more and it really doesn't bother my knee so I say try to turn a bigger gear to get up the hill faster and keep traction but there is a time and place for spinning

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    ride more. Ride on the road. Practice spinning up hills instead of mashing.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Super Clyde
    The biggest thing for me has been to get out and ride hills on the road. I started out in the granny gear 2 months ago, and slowly but surely I'm going to a higher gear every few days.

Lord Thunderbottom
    everything everyone has said here is legit from my experience, singlespeed, road biking, heavy squats, and just putting on the miles

I'm on my 3rd year since getting back on the bike and hills still suck but I see them as more of a challenge now and attack them different than before
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Go look up the yoga pose called chair pose. Yoga in general in great for biking. Chair pose really helps condition you to hills.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would also invest in a heart rate monitor. if you maintain a certain practice route, you can see how much you are improving quantitatively by declining %max heart rate taking the hills. Dave's $0.02.