mtbr member
    May 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well clyde cassette help

I bought a new trance 2 a month ago, and yesterday while riding bent one of the rings on the cassette. Not just the touth but the ring. It is the sram 980 cassette. Is this a warrenty issue or my responsablity. It happened o a hard climb, went to shift into a easier grear and it bent. Is there any better cassettes for a clyde.

mtbr member
    if you are bending cassets like that you might want to look into this

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_8408
    I bought a new trance 2 a month ago, and yesterday while riding bent one of the rings on the cassette. Not just the touth but the ring. It is the sram 980 cassette. Is this a warrenty issue or my responsablity. It happened o a hard climb, went to shift into a easier grear and it bent. Is there any better cassettes for a clyde.
    Don't feel bad, even skinny riders bend cassette rings occasionally. What your going to have to do is either pick a gear and stay in it that will work for you on the climb, or learn to ease up on the power when shifting on the climb. Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I bent the carrier (yes really) on on XT cassette at moab. I'm on an XTR now but haven't gone back to slick rock yet to see how well it would hold up. Shimano says the XTR is stronger than the XT, we'll see

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    I bent the carrier (yes really) on on XT cassette at moab. I'm on an XTR now but haven't gone back to slick rock yet to see how well it would hold up. Shimano says the XTR is stronger than the XT, we'll see
    I would go with LX or sram equivalent.
    I bent an XT, have not bent an LX.

change is good
    Sep 2004

The weakest link on my FS

As of now this part is causing me the most trouble. Going back through old posts it seems that anyone can bend a cassette but of course Clydes are more likely to. I thought about the LX cassette however others have bent it also. I have a 29er so I can now torque up stuff I couldn't before and it's wreaking havoc on my cassettes. Speedgoat recommended the new 990 cassette however I bent that too. Not their falult. It sucks because one bad shift/decision and there goes my cassette. I have started bending them back if it's not too bad. No one has endorsed doing it but when a $80 cassette bends on it's fourth ride the costs can add up. Other solutions? Spinning and chain maintenece very important. I have started single speeding and road biking and lost about 25lbs but on the flip side I have greater leg strength.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ended up replacing the cassette, it was to far gone to bend back. My LBS recommended the sram 950. I have been dealing with them for about 8 years now, so I decided to trust them. (they had a 980 and a 970, so they weren't just going for a sale) So far I havent bent it, but I am a little more carefull now as well, but I am now having alot of chain noise. I have to do a little research to see if the chain and cassette are compatable, or if this is just a side effect of the cheaper cassette. If you know about or have experianced this please help.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've bent a few in the past, and I think that the cassettes that do NOT use a "spider" for the bigger cogs are more likely to bend as the cog support is down at the freehub, not near the teeth.

I've been using Shim XT of different flavors happily for the last couple years, but I think my next one is going to be a SRAM 990 since the top-six cogs are on the spider. The 980 also has a spider, for the top-five cogs, so that's possibly useful too. Note that on the 990 I'll NOT be using the alloy lockring as I'd rather have cromed steel there instead of alloy, I could care less about the weight or red anodized look.

The other benefit of the spider is that individual cogs can't bit into the freehub, which makes taking the cassette off an issue sometimes.