mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Clyde Ankle Injury

Hey there clyde's, I've just bought a bike, and have been riding quite a bit in the past couple of weeks. Couple of long rides, 22, and 28 miles, as well as a bunch of smaller 7-14 mile rides. After every ride, I notice my left Achilles tendon hurts more and more. While I'm riding, I don't really do anything that would seem to hurt it. Just got back from a hike, and I can barley walk... the pain is fairly intense.

My question: what the heck is going on... I've got a 26 mile ride scheduled for tomorrow morning, and am afraid I'm not going to be able to do it. How can I heal this up?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    It's time to go see a doctor. You won't find specific answers you are looking for here.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, time for a doctor and 4 weeks of rest (he will tell you; I assume it is this bad in the following). Get an inlay in your daily shoes, so that your Achilles also gets rest during the day. After that 4 weeks start biking at low intensity, easy terrain and slowly increase duration and frequency of your rides. Get used to a higher pedal frequency, some exageration initially won't do any harm, so try to get to 100rpm. Also check the position of your cleats, if you run clipless pedals.
    When getting back to riding you will probably still feel something, but keep it bearable and it should get less with every ride although a temporary fallback could happen. Then adjust the intensity and frequency a bit and it should get better again. In this phase a lot of people panic and abandon biking, but it simply takes a bit of time before biking is again painfree. Tendinitis simply takes months to heal as there is not a lot of blood circulation. The recovery proces is helped by the exercise after this 4 weeks rest. After some time you can also remove the inlay from your daily shoes, but I would not do that too quickly as during walking your whole weight is on your feet, whilst most of your weight is on the sadlle when riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks guys. You're not giving me good news. 4 weeks off, can't happen. I just started riding after spending close to 4 years motionless. This feels TOO good.

Did that ride this morning with the help of pain killers, but the pain is coming through... am icing. Is this a tendonitis?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are banging out that sort of distance from nothing, then you need to clm down bit anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Why man? No ***** footing, right?

I upped my tire pressure today and had no trouble banging out 27.4.

Honestly, thought I was taking it easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are a clyde and you have spent 'close to 4 years motionless', you need to take things slower and this could well be your body telling you that. Going from nothing to 20+ miles a ride is not taking it easy. No matter what your mind says, your body needs to adjust to this new active you. You should not need painkillers to go for a ride.
    See a doctor and seek advice for the injury and returning to exercise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Possibly it is not as bad as I described, but ignoring your body is the worst thing you can do. Go see a doctor to get the correct diagnosis. Postponing that could make it a chronic injury. You should not take chances with your Achilles. It isn't for nothing that Achilles is in so many sayings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Is there something correctable with my pedaling technique?

I mean, my understanding of bike riding I learned at age 5.

Sit on the bike and pedal... I haven't really biked in 20 years or so... no technical knowledge. I'm using platforms, btw.

Also, why is this mostly happening on left side? I've just started to feel a twinge on the right, kind of how the left started a few weeks ago, but still mostly on the left. I am right handed.

I totally agree re chronic injuries. I really can't afford any more of those.

Thanks again for your input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Why left you ask, well always one will be weaker. Possibly the placement of your foot on the pedal is a little more backward, maybe at an angle. Maybe your first foot is left (the one you always start with), like most peoples and thus always doing the first stroke that has to get you up to speed. Many things possible and in general when you have a problem at one side the other will follow as you try to do more with the good side. Simply organise some rest (the sooner the better) and get a proper diagnosis instead of all this e-speculation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Honestly, had more medical help from the internet than any white coated pharmaceutical dispenser. But yeah, got an appointment... we'll see. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know every situation is different but I ran into a similar issue with my Achilles. After a workout, run, or ride I would have really bad pain and stiffness in both of my Achilles tendons to the point that I couldnt walk. Talked to an ortho doc and he basically said I was over doing it and to stretch more. My fix was aggressive stretching using a weighted calf raise machine at the gym and the problem was gone in a couple of weeks.
    I would still see a doctor, you could try the same thing I did and rip your tendon completely off of your heel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, I feel you. My father did just that, used to play racquetball, stopped for 10 years, went out and played one day, and snap-a-roo. After everything was said and done, his left calf looked like a toothpick, pencil thin and straight... not a good look.