Large and In Charge

Cool-blue Rhythm Clyde All Mountain Dream Build - Go!

I've been saving up money from overtime shifts. I'm kicking around the idea of a custom build. I'm 5'11ish 255lbs. Big torso small (29in inseam) legs. What are all of your favorite clyde components? Price and weight are considerations, but performance and clyde durability are most important. For example, do you go Saint brakes, or XT for a big guy?

Let's hear all your favorite bruiser components, especially if you have found something that works better than others for the big boys!

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'5" and 255... MY dream bike is a Lenz Fatmoth. I just wish Rockshox would make a Pike that would clear a Rabbithole/ Knard combo.

Anyway, for you... How about a Niner WFO with Rockshox Pike, Avid Elixr Trail X9 brakes, Hope or Hadley hubs laced to Stan's Flow EX rims with DT Swiss Comps.
    Do you like a 1 x 10 or 2 x 10 drivetrain?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    First off I'm curious to know what size wheels you want to run? At your height you can still do a 26 no problem. Or a 27.5 could be fun. I have a Niner WFO that I've been riding for 2.5 years now that I've gotten bored with because it's such a tank and lately have been riding my 26" Knolly Chilcotin a lot more lately and I'm 6'5". With your short legs (which is have too for my height) I'd say stick to a 26 or 27.5 bike. And at your weight, you can do pretty much brand you want: Santa Cruz, Yeti, Knolly, Banshee, Pivot, Ibis, etc. And do a quality wheel build.

As for Saints vs XT, depends on what you're looking for. I weigh more than you and run Saints and I love them. I used XT's before and they were good, I just had to plan ahead a lot and they faded on me for longer descents (and still do fade on my rigid 29er that they're on now).

Large and In Charge
    I'm thinking about jumping on the 650b bandwagon. I ride a Tallboy now, want something a little more aggressive, I think. I live in Colorado, and am fat, so I don't think I could pull off a 1x drivetrain as I live in the lowest gear of my Tallboy on climbs. I think a 2x XT drivetrain still has the low granny gear, right? I have the x9 trail brakes on my tallboy now, they are pretty powerful compared to the Elixr 1's that came on it. I definitely will never go back to chintzy brakes after switching to those!

So not sure I can get it within my budget, but would love a Mach 6 with a Pike, mostly XT components, maybe some beefier brakes, and a dropper, possibly as a future upgrade. Not sure if I really need a carbon bike, if there was an alloy version, I'd be all about it. Also thought about Yeti SB line, Bronson Alloy, hell, I don't know, something that pedals good and shreds downhill...