mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Clyde 29er Rims: salsa gordo, salsa semi, stans flow, kris holm

I weigh 300lbs, and I've had very good luck with a set of 29er wheels with Hope Pro 2 hub and Kris Holm unicycle rims. They are a bit heavy, especially when shod with tubes and 2.2" Nevegals.

I'd like to hear what other clydes have to say about their 29er rims.

1.) What rims have you tried, and would specifically NOT recommend to other clydes?

2.) What rims have you changed your mind about?

3.) What rims do you have nothing but praise for?

Underskilled
    I have been very impressed with halo freedom wheel, very very stiff.
    I made the make of swapping the spindoctor hub for nukeproof to get faster engagment. I have broken two nukeproofs since then.

Underskilled
    just re-read your post, tubes WHY!!!!! get rid of those horrible things.

Fat guy on a bike
    I run WTB Dual Duty FR on my rigid 29er. So far no problems. They need narrow rim tape is all heh.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been quite impressed with my WTB SpeedDisc 29AM rims...very durable and they work awesome "Ghetto Tubeless". But I'm a lightweight (220lbs)

The LaserDisc Trail 29er rims seem like they would be even more durable with the I-Beam

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    1.) What rims have you tried, and would specifically NOT recommend to other clydes?
    Original Salsa Delgados (rim brake model), not the rim's fault, but still a bit flexxxy under my arse
    2.) What rims have you changed your mind about?
    I always ran Sun Rhyno Lites on every bike I had (DH monster to rigid XC) and I never thought that I'd find a better rim...
    3.) What rims do you have nothing but praise for?
    But then I found the Halo Freedom... Stiffer than the Rhyno Lite, builds an amazing wheel.

Stiff and strong, I'm going to try to Ghetto tubeless them this weekend.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would love to try tubeless. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I have to keep all of our nice bikes in the living room. She's a racer, so I know she wants to convert all of her bikes to tubeless as well.

I had to make a "no tubeless" rule for the apartment, because I don't want to hear a "SCHPLOOT" from the other room and come in to find sealant all over the hardwood floor.... and the ceiling.... and my computer.... and the couch... and my girlfriend.

Someday, we will have a garage or a basement for the tubeless.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    300lbs = heavy wheels. My Flow/champion/440 hub wheelset is about 2200gm and the rear is already out of true.

Except......Edge Composites AM rims laced to 240s hubs with Aerolite spokes - about 1600gm. Stiffer than above. Long term durability-?