mtbr member
    May 2014

Clipless shoe suggestions...

I am in the marketing for some clipless shoes and pedals for my 29er. Here is the issue (i think).... I am a size 10 to 10.5" with a 4E width. I just spent the last hour googling and haven't came up with any solid leads..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Your google must be broken. Here's what I came up with in about 30 seconds...

shoe with wide toe box

Who is making WIDE mountain bike shoe sizes?

wide bike shoes ?

Wide shoes

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Your google must be broken. Here's what I came up with in about 30 seconds...

shoe with wide toe box

Who is making WIDE mountain bike shoe sizes?

wide bike shoes ?

Wide shoes
    Those links really only provide vague results. I've found shoes that are made wide but hardly tell how wide and I'm not bound to just start buying tens of dozens of shoes until I find the right one.

mtbr member
    That's about as good as you'll get answer-wise. Someone might chime in here with their personal experience, but it's pretty much going to mirror what's already been discussed numerous times.
    There are a number of shoe brands that make wide versions. Those are listed in the links throughout. I personally wear Specialized shoes. Not the wide versions though I have wide feet. They fit me well. I also have a pair of Lake's in wide and they are too wide actually. They seem to have a rounder foot box, not as pointy as some of the other shoes. Seems their wide is one of if not the widest. Bonts make a natural shaped foot box too with a moldable carbon footbed. Might be worth checking out.
    Not sure what else to tell you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's like buying normal shoes - it's better to try them on. Unfortunately, there is even less choice in cycling shoes as the market is smaller than normal shoes. Unless you can go try them on (which is highly unlikely), you will just have to suck it up and order those that seem most likely and try them on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I wear the Pearl Izumi Men's X-Alp Seek IV shoe and it fits my 12EE foot perfect. It's not advertised as being for a width but it feels great. It's last years model but they have a Seek V out now so I have no idea if sizing is similar. I got mine at REI so I did try them on which is good because their sizing is not only "Euro-only", it's way off. I got a pair in men's Euro size 48 which converts to something like a US size 14! My shoes are not a size 14 though, they're a perfect 12EE...so take that into consideration if you order online.

Short version: Careful ordering online as the sizing is not really accurate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    definately a case of try them on. Only way to really know.

And please don't windowshop and then buy online. If the LBS performs a good service, pay them for it. However, once you find a shoe that fits well and you like it, buy replacements online.

turtles make me hot
    Can't really help with the extra wide thing but when you do find a shoe you like, I use Crank Brothers Mallets with my Shimano size 50 shoes. Been very happy.
    I like turtles