Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clipless pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Clipless pedals

What clipless pedals do you fellow clydes use. I was thinking about getting the crank brothers Acid's. Would these be a good pedal for me? im 245lbs and a size 15 shoe. Also, is it nice to have a little platform with a bigger foot? First time Clipless for me.

local trails rider
    I am using Time ATAC XS pedals and they are good: easy and durable. Time Z is pretty similar but with a platform.

I got a bit wary about CB after I saw a plastic tray full of broken Eggbeater bearings at the LBS, but I think all CB pedals are not created equal, and many are using their pedals without problems.

old part timer
    My son is on Mallets for the past year and a half. He can keep a foot out when it gets to technincal for him and pedal just fine. He loves them for the downhills. I have had various SPDs for the past twenty years and have not had a problem.

banned
    Time Atac XS and XE's. Work flawlessly. No problems

Flaccid Member
    Shimano 545's here, very happy with them.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I use Crupi pro pedals for platforms and inexpensive wellgo pedals for clipless. I weigh around 230 so I don't really expect any clipless pedal to last through aggressive all-mountain riding. I use the Crupis mostly, but would like a solid, light clipless set to use at times. So far the wellgos have held up though I don't have many miles on them. I would consider Crank Bros, though I hear they have a max weight limit of 180 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Another vote for Time atac z's

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Only the VERY highest end crank brothers pedal, the eggbeater 4Ti has a max weightlimit. All others are unrestricted because they all use steel or chromoly spindles.

mtbr member
    Shimano 647's.

The Notorious S.L.O
    I have been on riding CB eggbeaters since 03, first the Candy's and the stainless eggbeaters since 05, no problems that I did not introduce myself, I broke two "wings" by striking a rock with the pedal.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run Shimano SPDs (cheap 520 model, 10 grams heavier and 1/3 the price of the top 959). Time ATACs are also good. I HATE Crank Bros pedals - they like to put BUSHINGS in their pedals instead of bearings - really stupid but cheap and light - tried them when they first came out and wore out the bushings in 3 months. By contrast, Shimano and Time bearings last several years.

Platforms are a personal preference. I rode with the Shimano 545s for a season, but found the noticeable additional weight wasn't worth the marginal increase in stability. It is easier for someone learning, though, as the larger surface helps you find the cleat instead of rolling under your foot.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Time Atac

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    200# size 12 shoe, Shimano 520's

President, CEO of Earth
    250 lbs, size 14 (49 eur)

I currently have old VP pedals with clipless and a resin platform around the outside. I do find the platform helps me feel more stable, especially if I am not wearing super stiff shoes.

Sidi Dominator (which is one of your few choices for shoes in your size) are very stiff and you will probably not notice much a difference between platform/non-platform.

The other advantage of platform is an allowable margin of error when trying to clip in in a hurry - if you miss the mechanism on the first try you still have a bit of pedal to crank on until you have a chance to try again to clip in.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I found Sidi Dominators VERY flexy, especially after 6 months of use. Plus, on long rides, 4 hours plus...I developed so much pain, I couldn't pedal while clipped in. Last April, I had to ride the last 10 miles of the Cohutta 100 with my arch on my pedal because I had so much pain under the ball of my foot.

I've since discovered that Specialized makes their Comp mtn shoe in size 49, which fits similar to Sidi's 50...they are much much stiffer and I no longer have foot pain. The Body Geometry kicks butt too for the knees etc.

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I found Sidi Dominators VERY flexy, especially after 6 months of use. Plus, on long rides, 4 hours plus...I developed so much pain, I couldn't pedal while clipped in. Last April, I had to ride the last 10 miles of the Cohutta 100 with my arch on my pedal because I had so much pain under the ball of my foot.

I've since discovered that Specialized makes their Comp mtn shoe in size 49, which fits similar to Sidi's 50...they are much much stiffer and I no longer have foot pain. The Body Geometry kicks butt too for the knees etc.
    My mistake - I don't have the dominators, but I have the Genius (road) shoe and assumed they were similar. I guess I was wrong.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice! I might reconsider the 3 ti Crank Bros egg beaters for my full squish. I weigh 230, but possibly the cro-mo spindles can take it?

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm 235-ish these days but started riding clipless when I was in the 250 range, size 13 shoe. Ran 520's to start with and they did okay except for the mud and snow I need to deal with.

Currently running eggbeater C's (base model until they introduced the MXR this year). No issues to date (3000+ km / 2000+ miles) but, as a caveat, I do regular maintenance on them at regular intervals (when I rotate between chains) to keep them in top shape.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

CEO Product Failure
    I broke 5 CB Eggbeater/Candies in 6 months last summer. Switched to Time ATAC's and managed to mangle one in 18mo's. Shitmano last about 2 months by comparison. I'm 250lbs, 6'1" and love to ride. Size 12 shoe and Dominators are over rated.

mtbr member
    I have been riding crankbrothers for a long time I have, I only broke one pair last year after 3 years of use and no maintance whatsoever. The SLs have always been good to me, have them now on my 26 racer and my 29 single rigid

the train keeps rollin
    I've ran just about all makes and models. Time Atac is where it's at..

I would stay away from crank brothers, unless you like busted pedals.
    beaver hunt

Proud lame eBiker
    I ran CB for a few years with no problems, then in a matter of months I went thru three pairs!
    I jumped away after the third one and got a set of ATAC's. Now all my bikes run Time pedals. No problems what-so-ever.

Time ATAC, you can't go wrong.

235, 6'2"
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    I have the "original" release of the Crankbrothers stainless steel peds, They have been through 5 , 24 hour races, (Clydesdale team), countless trail rides, training sessions, 10 sets of shoe clips , mud, snow, deep creeks, and intimate contact with sneaky rocks. I Know these are the ONLY peds I will use, ever. My weight is 220 lbs, and I have no mercy on my bikes.

mtbr member
    NOTE: I would only recomend the full stainless versions of CB's, I've seen others fall short on longeveity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am about 230 lbs. size 12 shoe and have had Time ATACs for about 3 years with no problems... I bang 'em on everything and put a lot of weight on them. They are great. I'll probably need new cleats soon but that's no big deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast