Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

clipless or not to clipless

trying to decide if i am wanting clipless or not, what are most of you big guys doing, i ride on the road and singletrack XC right now, i would like to try it before i buy it, but i don't think its really an option, and the pedals and shoes i am looking at is going to cost me 170 bucks, not money i want to compltely waste

what do you guys think or do?

me: 6'3" 300lbs

Making fat cool since '71
    FWIW...
    There are arguments (valid arguments) that being clipped in is more efficient (which it is) if you have anything close to a circular pedal stroke.

I ride clipped in for one simple reason: I feel more confident and in control of my bikes. I use them for everything but dirt jumping.

Avoid Crank Brothers pedals, period. I just came back to Shimano pedals after a few years of frustration on Crank Bros.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    why avoid crank brothers, haha, i was looking at these pedals and was pretty sold on them....

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400009_400264

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree with Imaclyde--more efficient pedalling, more confident since feat don't wander off pedals. I too use Shimano, though I've never tried crank bros. Being clipped in and pedaling in circles allows you to put down a steady stream of power that can help you go up technical climbs that you might spin out on when you're unclipped.

Bike shoes have stiff soles that protect your feat from being battered and also improve your pedaling efficiency.

Overall, I'd say go for it.

One way to cost contain would be to buy the shoes first and find a local buddy willing to loan you cleats and pedals. Heck, borrow the shoes too if you can find someone who wears the same size or a little larger.

Making fat cool since '71
    My reason for avoiding Crank Bros: I broke four spindles, two springs and one wing in two years (plus three bearings falling apart on a ride). Their customer service used to rock, now it's mediocre. The performance of the pedal rocks regarding mud clearing and "float" but I'm done...I would have gone back to Shimano way earlier, but I had Crank Bros on four bikes and had to save up to get new pedals for two and then traded stuff to get the others covered. I run about 255-265 with gear and ride nearly everything out there.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Underskilled
    oh just search the forum, this question gets asked daily.
    No wonder you are a clyde, so dam lazy =-)

Underskilled
    Oh that was just mean.

Use 5.10 shoes and Kona Wah Wah pedals.

you have most of the efficiency of clipless but without the added danger.

It is also generally accepted that it is more fun to ride flats, as you don't have the fear of random head injuries.

It has to be 5.10 and it has to be wah wah (or clone like superstar, they are very thin)

A lot of people compare trainers on $10 flats to $50 clip pedals and $100 clip shoes, it's not a fair comparison.

search the forum, clipless = more fear and more head injuries, however they are better for racing where speed is more important than fun.

AZ
    banned
    Go clipless, as soon as you get tired of falling over youll get the hang of unclipping .

Disgruntled Peccary
    To be honest the only time I've had a problem with clipless I unclipped the left foot.. and promptly leaned to the right.
    mike

slow uphill
    go clipless - check out Time ATAC - very user friendly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    oh just search the forum, this question gets asked daily.
    No wonder you are a clyde, so dam lazy =-)
    that was crappy, and i eat really poorly and honestly i am well under 20 percent body fat i do work out a lot, anyway, well to tell you the truth i am lazy, but that was not a very nice assumption

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    so i went clipless and fell a handful of times haha, it was more funny then anything, then my damn chain broke. i will get used to it, if i don't the pedals are got are platforms too anyway

local trails rider
    Better practice clipping in and out a bit before you hit any interesting trails.

I don't know how I managed to avoid doing the classic: do the "Timbeeeerr" maneouver at a red light, in front of a crowd of (insert definition of person you find really attractive)

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by jerjon7
    that was crappy, and i eat really poorly and honestly i am well under 20 percent body fat i do work out a lot, anyway, well to tell you the truth i am lazy, but that was not a very nice assumption
    Worry not was just teasing =-)

Flats are more fun,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go clipless, they are worth the investment for all the reasons others have mentioned. Just don't try them in the store, no matter how much the attractive and very petite sales girls insists. When I got my feet into them for the first time, I promptly fell over onto her and elbowed her in the chest...felt such an idiot for almost crushing her. Nothing like the audience of a busy bike store to make an embarassing situation worse. I have never fallen because of them since, and during both major crashes this year, I did eject so the bike didn't land on top of me. Go with the Shimano's so you can adjust the force needed to get straight out of them while you get used to them...the 540's are decent pedals to start with, not too sure about the 520's - they look to flimsy for a clyde.

mtbr member
    I changed from shimano to crank bros mallet 2, wouldn't go back. Haven't had any issues with them, i'm 6'4" and 250 with gear. Down side is that you cannot adjust the release tention but you get used to it.

mtbr member
    I resisted the clipless for years, then once I got them I thought "what the hell was I thinking". That's pretty much my M.O. though. Riding without them is like driving without a seat-belt, only worse. I feel more venerable and less in control without them.

By the way, I don't race, I'm slow and old. It's not more fun with platforms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have Time ATAC and i love them

just remember to clip before you come to a complete stop

especially if there are children watching ... they will laugh and point

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Clipless makes it easier to bunny hop and gives you a more "connected" feeling, although I like to unclip for tricky spots. I use Crank Brothers Mallet C for dirt since the big platform gives good support and plenty of room ununclipped. I also use Crank Borthers Candy Cs for road. One tip is vary which leg you unclip when stopping, on a long road ride (Seattle to Portland) I was getting a lot of pain in my right knee and it finally dawned on me that I was always unclipping my right foot at stoplights.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crank Bros. Mallets SE

Quote Originally Posted by jerjon7
    why avoid crank brothers, haha, i was looking at these pedals and was pretty sold on them....

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400009_400264

Actually, I think those special edition Mallets that Performance have would be a great way to go. I've seen them in person and they are really nice pedals. I have used Crank Bros. and Shimano clipless pedals and they are both nice in different ways. I think the best feature of the Crank Bros. is they have much more float than the Shimano's. The increased float is much easier on the knees. The think I like better about the Shimano's is the pedals engagement seems more precise and secure. It's all personal preference. The Mallets have a nice big platform with pins so if you have to clip out you have a full pedal to step on instead of 1/3 of a pedal platform. I think your first choice is a good one!

mtbr member
    Grippy shoes and grippier pedals, that way if you have to bail you just drop a foot, just watch your shins. You can get a set of DMR V8s and a nice pair of Vans or DCs for less than $80 and it will make a huge difference compared to whatever pedals came on your bike and whatever shoes you normally wear.

Does anybody ride toe-cage clips on mountain bikes? I've thought of putting them on my old GT once it gets rebuilt for cross country duty. I like the cages a lot on my road bike and they're still really easy to get out of in the event of an accident.

mtbr member
    Just started biking again after 15 yrs and realized how much I missed my clipless. Regular singletrack have not one issue, only close to falling in a skills section. Love the control.

mtbr member
    late 80's and early 90's I rode with clips. Once I got on SPDs I never went back. My problem with any shoes is I wear 14 (49 euro). Nobody makes those cleat ready sandals in my size, for casual riding that is.

I've very seldom had failure-to-release issues, and those were very slow speed and my own durn fault. With higher speed bifs I must spaz in just the right way and reliable release. Hit a nasty skinny rut about 30 mph last week and went flying, no problems with the pedals.

Hey, I heard that the SPD gold cleats offer more vertical release, kinda like Marker ski bindings; anyone tried those?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

jerjon

If you like the feeling of being "clipped-in," great. If not, don't worry.

Ever watch trials? Platforms are their pedal of choice.
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

Masters' class Clydesdale
    Crank Brothers Mallet C's here, I also like the large platform for those times I don't feel good clipping in. I can also go on a short ride around the block and not need my bike shoes. I wish I had the newer model though, the ones with the set screws for better unclipped traction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast