Prodigy321
    Jul 2009

Clipless for a money conscious semi-clyde newbie

Alright, I need some input here as I have no experience with clipless (just platforms). I ride XC and am expecting to do more endurance in the future (ride about 15miles a day now). I weigh about 210 (normal feet; not wide or narrow) and want to purchase a complete clipess setup. I am however on a budget and would like to keep the price as low as possible without going cheap. Any thoughts on what will hold up for me, and what to stay away from?

Budget would be under 100 (under 50 would be killer) for pedals

Also I have heard about platform/clipless (all-in-one) pedals that appear to be both, but I want to make sure they truly function like both and don't have any sole protrusions.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=11563

those are the pedals I'd get. Pricepoint also has bundles with shoes, might be just the ticket if they have one with a shoe you like.

I've used CB mallets, and... They worked ok when riding with flat shoes. I could feel the clip mechanism, but it didn't bother me. They were absolutely useless for riding unclipped with a bike shoe with a cleat mounted however. The last ride I did on mine, the 'eggbeater' part failed, got stuck open, so I couldn't clip in. I had to finish on the platform part; I don't think I could say the grip was any better than if I were just riding on eggbeaters (with no platform at all). Pretty much turned me off the whole idea of platform/clipless.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=11563

those are the pedals I'd get. Pricepoint also has bundles with shoes, might be just the ticket if they have one with a shoe you like.
    +1

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i've used SPD's for ever a decade and am still happy with em... but if I where to move to a muddier place i'd prob jump for the TIME pedals... as a clyd I'll skip crank bro's pedals... seen 1st hand a fairly new one with a guy who might JUST be a clyd snap one comming out of a corner (honestly not hammering to hard)...

on a side note... i've been using the SPD nashbars (older ones that are ritchey/wellgo and are SPD cleat compatable (the newer ones use slightly different cleats)... and have been impressed with them

biggest thing in your price range is good shoes... shoes make a huge difference...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with some Shimano M520's.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...520+Pedal.aspx

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    +1
    +2. You can go wrong with Time Aliums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I second the M520's. I'm 315 lbs and have been riding with them for about a year. I also agree with the shoes. If you're going to buy some spend a little money. As a clyde, you really need a stiff sole to support the weight. I've got a pair of Sidi Dominators and love them. You can usually find them on sale for around $200. They are a little pricey, but well worth it.

29 some of the time...
    I am a big fan of the Shimano M540 pedals. They are bulletproof, a better bearing retention system than the M520 as well as lighter. I have used 3-4 sets of them in the last 5 years on different bikes. Currently my oldest is about 3 years on them and still spin butter smooth despite my poor treatment/care of them. Retail is around $80.

For cheap, I picked up some Welgo M-3 pedals. They were cheap at $25, but are not comparison to the shimano pedals in terms of quality, feel of engagement, and ease of unclipping. For the price there isn't much to complain about, but with clipless you do get what you pay for in general
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been using shimano m520 ($50) all season on my primary bike. Have a slight bend in one of the spindles from jumping and hard landings. The pedals have been great for me and clip in like butter. Running some shimano shoes in the $100 range also. I come in around 210# with all my gear on and have a pretty high power output being as thin as I am. They see high stress ever ride I go on and have been bashed into rocks pretty hard also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    PD-M520's.....good way to go and they should be fifty bucks at any bike shop....very bulletproof...The Time pedals are cool too...I have seen more of those break though!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by wisex811
    PD-M520's.....good way to go and they should be fifty bucks at any bike shop....very bulletproof...The Time pedals are cool too...I have seen more of those break though!!
    Never ever saw or seen a Time Alium broken in 8 years in shops and since, never even heard of anyone breaking them...seen some of their carbon bodied pedals cracked from pedal strikes, but I've also personally broken a Shimano M535 on a pedal strike (totally my fault) so no pedal is immune to that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Never ever saw or seen a Time Alium broken in 8 years in shops and since, never even heard of anyone breaking them...seen some of their carbon bodied pedals cracked from pedal strikes, but I've also personally broken a Shimano M535 on a pedal strike (totally my fault) so no pedal is immune to that.

I guess by more I mean 1 or 2 in like six years....I have not seen one set of PDM-520's in the same time....and if I remember right, the time pedal breakage was BMX related.

mtbr member
    Shimano PD-520 are know to be good beginner pedals and are pretty well priced at $45 (Nashbar or Performance Bike). Quick search on google shows that you can get them for about $32 at other places. Can probably have Performance price match.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...S&currency=USD

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just purchased a set of the Time ATAC Aliums, and a set of Scott Pro MTB shoes. Total cost was $150 (usd). I rode 20 miles on the paved bike path yesterday, MUCH easier to pedal than any tennis shoe/pedal combo I had before. Also did 15 miles today in the dirt.

Needless to say, I highly recommend the Time pedals.

Sep 2008
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=99.98

This is the combo set I bought last year and still run now. Sette shoes with Time pedals $99

When I bought them I was 280 now I am 214 and even competed in 4 XC races with them and plan to do 3 more this year. I don't now if I will "upgrade" shoes over the winter or as they fall apart. I think they are a great intro into clipless pedals without the high costs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Belkin34
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=99.98

This is the combo set I bought last year and still run now. Sette shoes with Time pedals $99

When I bought them I was 280 now I am 214 and even competed in 4 XC races with them and plan to do 3 more this year. I don't now if I will "upgrade" shoes over the winter or as they fall apart. I think they are a great intro into clipless pedals without the high costs
    Are those shoes true to fit?

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat
    Are those shoes true to fit?
    They were to me. They are slightly big now but that may be due to the weight loss and stretch but still very comfortable

mtbr member
    I would go with the Shimano SPD. Not sure if this goes for everybody but pedals last me forever so I would pay a bit more and move up to the 540. I have a pair of old shimano 747s that I have been riding for over 10 years. I finally replaced them because one of them had a loose clip-in but then I found that it was only a loose hex screw. They are now on my commuter bike and as good as new.

back on the horse
    520s. I have never seen a real reason for me to change.

mtbr member
    I'm in Australia so i can't comment on price, but i have the M520's and a pair of Shimano M075 shoes which have been great for me to learn/get used to clipless. I also weigh 94KG's (a bit over 200 pounds i think?) and they've held up to a years riding through mixed conditions very well.

If you get the shoes, i'd suggest getting the next size up as my LBS said from their experience that the Shimano shoes are too tight at what you would consider 'your size'. I'm meant to be a 45 but the 46's fit much better.

Not sure if that is standard across all shimano shoes but it's worth noting