mtbr member
    Jan 2012

chronic spoke problem

I have Trek 6500 from 2009. Ever since I got it have had major spoke problems with the rear wheel. In the first season I had to have spokes replaced and trued 3 times. I got a replacement when the rim itself had a crack. Once I got the entire new wheel, with 2-3 weeks, more broken spokes. I said, what do you have for an upgrade. (fyi at the time I was 270 plus hydration pack). I am 250 now.
    Last season was pretty good. I only had one broken spoke all season.
    I swapped wheels, kept riding, and took the broken wheel in.
    Yes I know I skipped from 2009 to 2012 and now were at 2013.
    This year, I just got back to riding in late May due to work. Since then I have had 4 incidents of broken spokes.
    Both the rims are bontrager, which I'm pretty sure, that's most of my problem. The second problem is my budget. I couldn't spend a cent over $150 dollars on a new rim. If I can hold out until I can afford it, I will be looking at Stan's ZTR Flow
    Oh FYI I have worked with two different local shops on these rims.
    Anyways, recomendations on the current rims or a new rear rim/hub would be great.
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Re: chronic spoke problem

A friend of mine laced flows to his stock bonty hubs. Not a bad choice on a budget - i think some of the bonty hubs are made with DT star ratchet internals which are terrific.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    The key to fixing this is going to be finding a better wheel builder. The hub doesn't matter one bit, the rim only slightly. Uneven or too-low spoke tension causes spokes to break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    The key to fixing this is going to be finding a better wheel builder. The hub doesn't matter one bit, the rim only slightly. Uneven or too-low spoke tension causes spokes to break.
    This, and other spokes get weaker as some break due to extra stress they are receiving.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A Trek 6500 wheelset is not likely to come with DT Swiss internals. But, as mentioned above, I believe your issues are with the quality of the build itself. Get a new set of butted spokes, and some brass nipples, and have a good wheelbuilder assemble them properly. If the rim hasn't been taco's, and is not otherwise damaged (flat spots, dents, cracks), use it again, along with the hub, and then start saving for a nice wheelset. if you're a good size clyde, I would forego the Stans hubs (their rims are fine for you), and start with a minimum of a Hope Pro II rear hub when you get about $600 or more burning a hole in your pocket. Clydes need robust rear freehubs. Then you will have a wheelset that will go the distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you for all your responses. I have found a bike shop about 30 minutes away and seems to specialize in wheel building. Are there any questions I should ask to ensure they know what their doing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Bingo...

Wheels are more about who build them than the components (as long as they are decent)