mtbr member

Chris King Headsets

With me being 6'1 260 , (him being a stokey dude too) my buddy was telling me bout his search for good headsets, seeing that he was thinking bout switching his after a year and a half, i was looking online at some interesting reviews on headsets. even though i just got my HKEK in December, noticed how expensive the King Ti ones are. Are there any differences in strength between the steel and the Ti? When should one switch'em out, and when i do, where can i find a steel one? looked on ebay and no one had any.
    [SIZE=2]No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time.
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Titanium Eggbeaters are specifically bad for Clydes. Lighter, but can't handle the same weight.

Don't know if that's a 1:1, but from what I can tell, after a certain point, the 'better' racing-focused components are lighter at the expense of strength.

mtbr member
    The Chris King "Steelset" is designed for DH or Free ride bikes with at least 1" of
    of insertion space in the head tube. It's designed for folks who go big not necessarily are big. I've seen a lot of frames which have had the steelset installed and can't be removed because they extend past the material in the head tube. The aluminum work fine for most folks and the Ti version is for those who want a limited edition headset. Bearings and seals are the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As a 265lb clyde, I was impressed with the Steelset, too. Decided against it when everybody said it was overkill unless you drop off the roof. And, you may not get it back out.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

Slow, but thoughtful

livin' large
    275 lbs and the aluminum standard issue Chris King headset is holding up peach, 2 yrs no adjustment or anything. And with a 10 yr warranty your golden if any thing goes awry.

Much better than the ritchey headset that only lasted 6 months.

As far as the ti headset, why bother saving a few grams and spending more, you're a cyldesdale right?
    it tied the room together man!