mtbr member
    Jan 2006

choosing a new ride

OK.. I recently purchsed an Origin 8 for my nephew and he will build it over the winter as a project...I have lurked for a long time and have enjoyed countess hours of reading....

I want a new ride now. I currently Use an older Iron Horse G out. I am 6'0" 240(its not Hockey season yet). So I am used to a FS bike.

I am looking for a nicer bike to increase my riding and get out there much more than 1 - 3x every two weeks.

I am mainly a XC person, with very little off the ground stuff... but lots of trails for sure. certainly nothing radical.

I like the Jekyll...

My LBS sells specialized and Trek, another Gary fisher, GT...

I have no problem buying online and getting the right sizing, buying used, assembling a bike, or even building a bike from a frame.

I have a budget of $1000

Any recommendations? Jamis, Kona...?Others?

Thanks

local trails rider
    IMO, $1000 is not much for getting a nice FS bike. All the brands you mention make good bikes. Sizing is much more important than brand.

A previous year's model or used bike would probably give you best bang for the buck, if you can find one that fits. Used bikes are difficult, though, because you need to know enough to look out for signs of abuse and/or damage.

2 minutes turkish
    I tend to recommend the big three when looking at bikes under $2500 (Giant, Specialized., Trek). At that price point, the smaller builders can't compete with the components that they can.

I really like the trance and trance x from Giant. The maestro system seems to be one of the best.

for what it's worth some of the other companies are parented by one of the big three.