mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Choices, choices... opinions?

I'm looking at:

Cannondale Prophet 800 or 1000: nice bike, I have a Cannondale roadbike, so they'd be good stablemates.

Kona Dawg Deluxe or Primo: reputation of heavy-duty bikes for big guys.

Gary Fisher Fat Possum LX or XT: sold by a great bike store with fantastic service.

I'm 6'3" and 270lbs... so I'll likely go for heavier-duty wheels and uprated springs in the fork. I won't be doing crazy stuff, I just like a no-hassle bike. Glad to hear some opinions.

Thanks, Dan

mtbr member
    I have dirty thoughts about the Prophet 800
    :wq

Fat, but working on it...
    I haven't heard many good things about the Fat Possum. A couple local guys here got them when they first came out. Both are now riding something else. And they are both under 200 pounds.

I would recommend a Santa Cruz Heckler personally. It's what I'm saving up for. I rode one for a day a few weeks ago, and now I HAVE to have one...

Double-metric mtb man
    I'd have to agree...the Fat Possum is a new design and needs a bit of tweaking. The reviews and opinions I have heard have generally said that it needs some work. I looked at one when I was in the market for a new bike, but went for a Cake 2 DLX instead.

The Prophets and Konas made my short list, but I personally prefer the Genesis geometry so I stuck with a Fisher. Any of the bikes you mention would be great rides...but if I weren't a Fisher fan, I'd have likely gone for the Prophet.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another Heckler vote. If you want no hassle and you are looking at FS rides, you should probably try and stick with a single pivot design like the Heckler or Prophet.

And for a fork, I went with a Marzocchi AM3 at the recommendation of 2 local shops for a low maintenance fork on a budget. I know many folks with Fox forks that are having to get them re-built almost yearly.

Cereal Killer
    I'll have to throw my vote in for the Prophet. I got an 800 last year, and it's the best bike I've riden in a long time. It has a longer than average top tube (large size), and find it's pretty close to the genesis geometry. It's tough, and you can get the heavier Lefty springs for the weight. The recommended weight settings for the heavyest spring that you can put in the lefty only go up to about 210 lbs with no pre-load, but I've found for my weight (235, with no gear) that a little pre-load works perfect. I absolutely love it. The only thing I did that made a big difference was replaced the crank with an XT hollowtech II. I was actually able to flex the cranks that came on it (truvativ stylo i think). After the cranks, everything was great. But I did replace those stupid combination brake lever/shifter things. Hated those things!
    Last edited by chadmeeh; 07-22-2006 at 09:36 AM.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    Heckler!!!