mtbr member

Choice help: Trek Fuel vs Salsa Spearfish VS Specialized Stumpy

I am thinking of getting a full suspension bike next year and being a Clyde at 6 ft 295 I'm trying to figure out the best bang for the buck between these 3. I mostly ride single track and trail and very little downhill or big drop stuff. Any suggestions from my Clyde brothers?
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I didn't try the Spearfish, but I did try the Fuel (with DRCV) and the SJ-FSR. Both bikes were FAR too squishy with my weight (310) and the shocks were maxed out to the mfg's max pressure. That said, the Fuel without a DRCV did just fine, but I liked the Specialized Camber quite a bit more.... and that is what I bought and ride, a 2013 Spec Camber Comp.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    All three are great. I own the stumpy evo comp 29er and have experience with the spearfish. I run about 90psi in the fork for about 30% sag. The less air pressure it has, the better the bike gets. I've never maxed out the fork and I ride fairly hard. I use the autosag on the rear. The evo has wider rims and wider tires. I think the spearfish is also a great bike. The stumpy just seems a little better to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Choice help: Trek Fuel vs Salsa Spearfish VS Specialized Stumpy

Watching this thread. Looking at fuel or stumpy too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Whatever you do, buy a new bike with a warranty. At 295 there is a good chance you may have problems. Also, you can run the shock at higher than recomended pressures. I've run a fox RP23 at 305-310 psi for at least 6 months with no issues. You may have to replace air can seals more often though.

mtbr member

Choice help: Trek Fuel vs Salsa Spearfish VS Specialized Stumpy

Thanks for the replies! I've been doing some research and I think that maybe an Enduro might be better built to take the weight. So I'm thinking maybe a 14 enduro 29 comp SE . I won't be buying until the end of next year and I should be able to find a good deal on one
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?