All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006

Challenge: Looking for a new bike!

Here's a challenge for you! I have just moved to Colorado, and am looking forward to taking advantage of the trails around here. I used to Mountain Bike from 1992 to 1996 and started again in 2007, but due to my job, had little time to pursue it. Now I have some free time with a new job so I'm looking to get back into it.

I am 6'1" and weigh 260 lbs with a 30" inseam. I'll likely get down to around 220 to 225 lbs over the next 6 months.

I'm looking for a bike that can go pretty much anywhere. I don't plan to ride very fast, but I do want to be able to go over rough terrain. I'm more into the challenge of climbing uphill (partly to take off the weight), but also want to have a bike that's good at riding downhill.

Here's the rub. I'm also looking for a bike that I can use for some basic riding on the road (but not as often as offroad), and also want to be able to do some offroad bike touring. So I need a bike that can handle a lot of weight and has the fixtures for front and rear racks.

I'm hoping to spend less then $1,000 but may consider spending more if I'm convinced it's worth it. Here's the other thing: if anybody knows of a dual suspension bike that can do all of the above I'd be willing to spend over $2,000, I just don't think it exists.

I don't want a 38lb bike, but it doesn't have to be very light either. Durability would be more important then weight. I like to head for obstacles and run them over, so I can be rough on my bike.

Please keep the advice coming! Oh yeah, I'll be replacing the pedals with platform pedals, and also want the most comforable seat I can possibly choose. I'll replace both of those items on whatever bike I purchase.

Thanks for your advice!
    My Prophet 1000 is awesome

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    When I came home today I was expecting some suggestions. Nobody has any suggestions??

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Here was one option I was considering, what do you think:

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=unit

mtbr member
    i live in denver, 5'10", 260 at the start of every season, i ride a 2009 giant trance x2. got it in 09 closeout for $2250. LOVE this bike. i havent maxed the rear shock out at all. it is way more bike than i am rider. the other option i had at the time of purchase was a santa cruz heckler.

my advice, is go to a bunch of shops, throw a leg over, and go ride em. go to a demo day if you can, and wait for a close out! if you do go hardtail, id reccomend a 29'r, though i dont have any specific reccomendations.

what part of town are you in? sheridan and dartmouth, there is a shop caled Mojo. talk to Bob. he is a real passionate bike guy. i purchased from westside cycles near colfax and wadsworth.

hope this helps. lemme know if you wanna go ride sometime.
    joe
    seven2o, 879/twenty2oh3

mtbr member
    First off, there is no such thing as a good suspension bike with racks. You'd need the weight you're carrying to be suspended, and there isn't really a good way to do that. Second, it doesn't sound to me like you want a singlespeed - even if you found a gear that works for off road riding, and were ok single speeding on the road, the gearing you'd want for either would almost certainly be different. I can't imagine carrying touring gear on a singlespeed would be pleasant.

First bike that comes to mind for what you say you want to do is a Salsa Fargo (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...category=3707). If I were buying, I'd try to find a 2010 model, they had I think a better component pick.

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider
    i live in denver, 5'10", 260 at the start of every season, i ride a 2009 giant trance x2. got it in 09 closeout for $2250. LOVE this bike. i havent maxed the rear shock out at all. it is way more bike than i am rider. the other option i had at the time of purchase was a santa cruz heckler.

my advice, is go to a bunch of shops, throw a leg over, and go ride em. go to a demo day if you can, and wait for a close out! if you do go hardtail, id reccomend a 29'r, though i dont have any specific reccomendations.

what part of town are you in? sheridan and dartmouth, there is a shop caled Mojo. talk to Bob. he is a real passionate bike guy. i purchased from westside cycles near colfax and wadsworth.

hope this helps. lemme know if you wanna go ride sometime.
    joe
    seven2o, 879/twenty2oh3
    I'll be moving to Pueblo before I purchase my bike so I'll likely check out the shops down there. I agree I'll need to test some bikes out to get a feel for them. But I'm really hoping to narrow down my choices before I go to pick my bike out. Having too many options before I go shopping can cause me to procrastinate on my decision.

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    First off, there is no such thing as a good suspension bike with racks. You'd need the weight you're carrying to be suspended, and there isn't really a good way to do that. Second, it doesn't sound to me like you want a singlespeed - even if you found a gear that works for off road riding, and were ok single speeding on the road, the gearing you'd want for either would almost certainly be different. I can't imagine carrying touring gear on a singlespeed would be pleasant.

First bike that comes to mind for what you say you want to do is a Salsa Fargo (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...category=3707). If I were buying, I'd try to find a 2010 model, they had I think a better component pick.
    Thanks for helping to narrow things down. So basically I shouldn't bother looking at dual suspension bikes, they won't meet my needs. I didn't see any that would work but I figured I'd ask in case there was something I missed.

Great point about carrying a ton of gear with a single speed, and also the fact that I'd really need a different gear ratio for roads vs. off road if I went single speed. That just won't work for me. Let me check out your suggestion. Thanks, you've really helped narrow down my choices which is great!

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Okay....wow....this bike looks awesome! $1650 is higher then I hoped to spend, but not neccesarily out of the question. I don't like the idea of a drop bar though. I like to ride in a relaxed position so I'd probably prefer a riser bar. I wonder if I could get that changed?