Thread: Chain upgrade

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Chain upgrade

Well, I am a new rider and have been enjoying my bike for a few weeks now, but tonight, I am in the market for a new chain. I am still new to the scene so I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in terms of specs for a chain to make sure that I don't snap another one. My bike is a Schwinn Homegrown with Shimano Deore XT derailleurs. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Former Bike Wrench
    Since a homegrown could be 8 or 9 speed, here is some basic info:

Most chains from a manufacturer are the same design, the more expensive versions have better finish (like nickel plating) for corrosion resistance. SRAM and KMC come with reuseable masterlinks to allow removal without tools. Shimano chains come with a special pin to connect the chain. It is critical to follow the directions on these, but the 9 speed chains work fine with SRAM or KMC replaceable masterlinks.

With 9 speed chains, Shimano and KMC (whom makes Shimano chains) X9.x chains have 1.5x more pin pull strength than SRAM 9 speed. Though a properly maintained chain that is not cross chained or subjected to forced shifts under power is unlikely to break regardless of what chain you pick.

Personally I like Shimano and KMC best
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 02-22-2011 at 11:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    New rider and a snapped chain is probably something other than a weak chain. How did you break it? What were you doing while riding?

Fueled by Tigerblood
    a mis shift at the wrong time can do just the thing.

Personally, I have had great luck with the xtr chain.

I also liked the kmc x9 sl.

I now switched over to sram, but that was just for the xx.

getting back into it
    Sep 2008
    I've gone to Wippermann Connex chains. I'm a big guy and hard on stuff. Be careful when starting out. Don't shift while starting to pedal (shift before you stop). Don't pedal hard while shifting (let up a little).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would check w/ your LBS and maybe they can give your bike a "once over"

Tá mé ar meisce.
    For 9 speed I have had the best luck with DuraAce/XTR (7701) or the KMC x9 series chains. I use the wipperman connex master link on all of them with no issues.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It is an 8 speed. It popped after a car pulled out in front of me, and I had to avoid it and lost speed. I did downshift, but I didn't give it a lot of power at all and it just gave out. I never had any issues in the past with chains, but then again, I am a lot bigger and stronger than I was when I rode before.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So even the KMC X9.93, which I can find for well under $20 is a good choice?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    So even the KMC X9.93, which I can find for well under $20 is a good choice?
    Very good chain for the money

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'll be ordering that soon. Upgrading my drive train from lx/x7 to xt/x9--based on lightly used parts. Think I'll go with X9.93 since there doesn't seem a lot of benefit to more expensive chains.