Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain upgrade

961 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tenbsmith 
#1 ·
Well, I am a new rider and have been enjoying my bike for a few weeks now, but tonight, I am in the market for a new chain. I am still new to the scene so I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in terms of specs for a chain to make sure that I don't snap another one. My bike is a Schwinn Homegrown with Shimano Deore XT derailleurs. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

#2 · (Edited)
Since a homegrown could be 8 or 9 speed, here is some basic info:

Most chains from a manufacturer are the same design, the more expensive versions have better finish (like nickel plating) for corrosion resistance. SRAM and KMC come with reuseable masterlinks to allow removal without tools. Shimano chains come with a special pin to connect the chain. It is critical to follow the directions on these, but the 9 speed chains work fine with SRAM or KMC replaceable masterlinks.

With 9 speed chains, Shimano and KMC (whom makes Shimano chains) X9.x chains have 1.5x more pin pull strength than SRAM 9 speed. Though a properly maintained chain that is not cross chained or subjected to forced shifts under power is unlikely to break regardless of what chain you pick.

Personally I like Shimano and KMC best

#8 ·
It is an 8 speed. It popped after a car pulled out in front of me, and I had to avoid it and lost speed. I did downshift, but I didn't give it a lot of power at all and it just gave out. I never had any issues in the past with chains, but then again, I am a lot bigger and stronger than I was when I rode before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.