mtbr member

Chain Suck (SUCKS)

When i first started riding I used the small gear up front for just about everywhere i road. Now i am forcing myself to use the middle gear up front all the time to build my legs up. yesterday i was riding and came up on a steep long hill and was forced to go to 1-1 or walk. But when i did the chain would ride up the sprocket causing some terrible noise and kayos down there. I would have to pedal backwards to undo it. looking at it today, there's a couple of teeth worn down and some are chipped off . Whats going on?? did i do this or is this just cheep parts and i need to upgrade the gears?? My bike is a 2008 Specialized Am. I bought it new in Dec 2008, Is this warranty? or just normal wear and tare parts. What gears and chain would you replace them with?? Im 6'4'' and 370 lbs. thanks Bobby

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hmmm... Lots of possible causes... Did any of the teeth on your cogs get bent? A bent tooth can hold the chain on the cog.

How often do you clean and lube your chain?

If teeth are worn and chipped, they need replacement.

Probably best to take this to a good bike shop or have and experienced mechanic look at it somehow.

mtbr member
    At your size you could wear out some aluminum chainrings pretty fast. What crankset is on your bike?

ballbuster

Usually,...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbykeller
    When i first started riding I used the small gear up front for just about everywhere i road. Now i am forcing myself to use the middle gear up front all the time to build my legs up. yesterday i was riding and came up on a steep long hill and was forced to go to 1-1 or walk. But when i did the chain would ride up the sprocket causing some terrible noise and kayos down there. I would have to pedal backwards to undo it. looking at it today, there's a couple of teeth worn down and some are chipped off . Whats going on?? did i do this or is this just cheep parts and i need to upgrade the gears?? My bike is a 2008 Specialized Am. I bought it new in Dec 2008, Is this warranty? or just normal wear and tare parts. What gears and chain would you replace them with?? Im 6'4'' and 370 lbs. thanks Bobby
    Chainsuck is caused by:

Not enough lube on the chian

worn chian

Bad chainline (not likely, but it happens)

worn chainrings (like, you rode too much with a worn chain) Look for teeth that look out of place, (but keep in mind, that some teeth are shorter and differently shaped than others to help with shifting) or teeth that are worn like shark fins, or hooks.

bent/missing/deformed teeth on chainrings (I once sucked a rock into my chain that bent a tooth.. it happens)

shifting from middle to granny under load

Sometimes, not matter what you do, no matter how good your chain and chainrings and chain are, your bike will chainsuck when shifting from middle to granny if you do so under load. Make sure you gentle spin when dumping your chain, and don't apply load until the shift is complete.

I suggest getting yourself a chian wear checking tool (cost you about $10) and inspect everything. If you suspect your granny gear is worn, you can sometimes flip it over and use the other side of the teeth. I check my chains once a month at least, and at the slightest hint of wear, I change out the chian. Chains are way cheaper than cassettes and chainrings. Performance Bike always has XTR chains on sale for like $23. I use them exclusively with a SRAM Powerlink.. that is THE setup. A chain on my geared bike tends to last about 9-12 months.... about 18 months on my singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I clean the chain every two rides and oil it this special oil my LBS sold me. I also clean the chain with this oil like instructed. The granny ring runs true when i spin the the crank so none is bent that i can tell. After reading everyone's post i think what has happened is i down shifted to many times under a load and chipped the teeth.

Im going to take it to the shop and let them fix it with new chain and granny sprocket and see how it goes. All the other gears are working like new so ill leave them alone. Thanks for all the help and pointing out what ive done wrong. Ill be sure to take it easy while shifting from now on. Bobby

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like you've wrapped it up nicely.

+1 on getting the chain tool. Keep in mind that you will have to replace chain and cogs periodically. These are items that will wear and need replacement.

When approaching a steep section of trail, try to downshift into the granny gear before you get on the steeps while you aren't putting power down.

mtbr member
    I took the bike to the shop. They installed a new granny gear and chain along with a new rear cosset. I was also having problems with the chain popping and skipping in the rear. i thought it was trying to change gears on me because my RD was out of adj. No the chain and cosset was just worn out causing the noise. Man i hope these new parts last longer than the factory parts. I guess they will with correct shifting and proper maintenance. 117 bucks every 8 months would hurt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Being more careful with shifting may help some, but chains and cassettes are normal wear items on an mtb.

If you keep track of the stretch in your chain using a chain measuring tool, you should be able to keep your cassette longer. Maybe 2-3 chains per cassette. Once the chain get's stretched, it will wear out the cassette quicker. Check this out:
    http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html

If you want contain costs on mountain biking replacing your chain before there are problems is one way to do it.

mtbr member
    Yep my chain was stretched bad. And my mech said that is what wore my rear cosset. Ill get one of them tools and keep an eye on it. I appreciate all the help .