Notso proud Schwinn Rider
    Jan 2011

Chain issue? Or Rider Aggresiveness?

Im 6'3'' and 245 lbs and I got a Schwinn Protocol 1.0 that I affectionately call my Acadamy Special for Christmas.

When I was riding the other day, I decided to really crank down on the pedals to catch up with my kids in a race. I gave them a considerable head start and then I took off after them. As I was pedaling hard, my chain kept slipping off the back sprocket into a different gear with a very loud screech.

Is that a major problem that can be avoided, or should I have the whole drivetrain replaced?
    Hey! Whatsa matta You? Gotta no respect! Whata think you do? Why you looka so sad? Itsa nicea place! Hey! Shaddap you face!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ideas from best case to worst below:

Easiest fix would be a shifter/cable adjustment issue - I'd check this first if you've been riding since X-mas.
    Another possible explination is: stretched chain (replace: google how to check chain length).

Other ideas worn out driveline (replace, and consider a stouter bike since putting money into this bike is a questionable call), or the rear of the bike is flexing under stress (no way to fix other than a different bike, or never pedal hard).
    Last edited by debaucherous; 01-21-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    I would bet the derailleurs are a bit out of adjustment. There are many walkthroughs available on the web to learn how, or a bike shop should be able to tweak them for a decent price.

If you find the name of the derailleur, just google that plus adjustment. You will probably get the manual or even a youtube video of how to do it in your results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you just got the bike at Christmas, Bet its just cable stretch, Have the dealer show you how to adjust, Real easy fix

Notso proud Schwinn Rider
    Jan 2011
    Thanks everyone.
    I just got back from visiting my LBS. I described the situation and he suggested that it is cable stretch being that it is new and quite possibly not put together as well as it should.
    He wants me to bring it in in a couple of weeks and he'll do a tune up for me.
    Truing the wheels and making any corrections in the cables.

Looking forward to riding tomorrow. Trails will be clear and dry after a week of rain that ended tuesday.
    Hey! Whatsa matta You? Gotta no respect! Whata think you do? Why you looka so sad? Itsa nicea place! Hey! Shaddap you face!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ive been having the same problem with my bike, (just like your bike.) i actually put an older, more stretched out chain on the bike, tuned the shifting, and bam it worked. but that doesnt solve the problem completely. the "old" chain i was talkin bout... came from my tart trail hardtail trek.... that i still wanna ride. i have small question, what exact chain goes on the shwinn protocol 1.0? btw, im new here.

Underskilled
    For me the two most likely are missalignment, or power shifting.
    (clydes are ridiculously powerful, the chain pull can bend the rear triangle across enough that the gear shifts. Irritating. I got so used to my old bike having it I would sometimes use it as a fast way of shifting gear).

Alignment is the easiest to fix, so get the shop to look at that first.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Members who have read this thread: 0