Back in the saddle

Chain goes "Pop"

...and I start rolling backwards off the super-cool rock feature last weekend. Scraping, blood ensue. Chain tool comes out, quick link and I'm back on the road. I have SRAM 9 speed. Wish the chain was stronger. Third broken chain in a year, second cassette.

Clydesdale curse: get good enough to ride competently, you end up being strong enough to snap a chain at the drop of a hat. Talk about watts, we got 'em. I wonder what to do to strengthen the system.

mtbr member
    KMC X9 chain and Shimano HG61 9-Speed steel cassette...end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Three broken chains in a year, but no broken freehubs? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . .

If you're riding Shimano (or other cheap) freehubs, and your massive quad output hasn't popped one, but you've broken three chains, then I would suspect your shifting technique. Specifically shifting under power.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There's a good thread on this forum somewhere explaining why SRAM chains are weaker than Shimano or KMC. Probably is worth moving to beefier components.

OTOH, there's a good chance your riding technique plays a role. Shifting under power is a good first suspect. I know that as I got better at riding i went through a period of taco'd wheels, followed by a period of broken chains--mostly SRAM. I think I've gotten smoother, cause I'm still ridin' an SRAM chain I've put a bunch of mile on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I only use SRAM 970 chains and they work great. They always wear out before I break them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think the SRAM chain breaking is like XT freehubs. Some Clydes break these components frequently and can solve the problem by moving to other, beefier components. Other Clydes are fine with these components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    XT Hub and Sram 971 chain here.... no issues for a 300lb rocket

mtbr member
    I have had very good luck with XTR chains. If you search around you should be able to find them for under $30.00.
    If you can't ride the trail's with the BIG DOG'S, stay on the ROAD with the poodles!!!!!

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.