Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain for a Clyde?

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Klurejr 
#1 ·
Looking for recommendations on a good and durable chain for a clyde. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
I have had the best success with KMC (whom also make Shimano chains) X series chains. They use center punch pins that have 1.5x higher pin pull strength than stepped pins such as those use on the standard SRAM chains.

I have only broken two chains in the last ten years, two SRAM PC69 (current equivalent being the PC-971) back in 2004. Those happen to be the last two SRAM chains I've used.

#6 ·
use sram purely because of the quicklinks... yes I could buy whatever with a quicklink but I've only ever had 1 issue with a chain (which was ironicly because of a quicklink... but I carried a spare so a few min on the side of the trail fixed that.

#7 ·
I'm 330 and can break a shimano freehub by looking at it. I mainly only use SRAM 970 chains. Yes I have broken a few but they have been my fault due to bad shifting, etc. I've also broken a shimano chain with a bad shift. SRAM's power links are awesome, but you can also use them with shimano.

#9 ·
I started with the XT 756 rear hub, broke3 or 4 freehubs, each lasted about a month. Then adopted a 529 freehub on my 756 body (screwed right on, no problems). The 529 is the 18 point, 629 is 36 point. 529 freehub broke in two months and thats when I upgraded to a DT Swiss 440 with start ratchet which has help up amazingly so far. haven't tried the 629.

I did just buy a bikesdirect single speed bike (Gravity G29), and if that freehub dies I might see if a 629 will work.

#11 ·
Guess I'll try and hop in here, rather than starting a new thread. So I'm switching to 10spd. With all the Shimano lingo, I get a bit confused. Haven't read the best reviews of the HG94 chain. I could go $50 on an XTR or a DuraAce chain, but I'm not even sure what dura ace means...I'll go check Shimano's site. Are there any other recommended big dude chains that will work with the XT 780 stuff (I've got the 780 rear der. and the XT 771 cassette). I read about directional dynasis/hyperglyde/sgs tech lingo stuff from Shimano, and I get lost as what is compatible to what. Any KMC chains work with the XT 780?

#20 ·
I can vouch for the SRAM PC50. The bike I'm riding right now I've had since I was 14, and it's had that PC50 as long as I can remember. I don't clean it, I don't lube it, and I don't shift properly but it has never snapped on me or given me problems. Right now, I'm 245 and it got me through 20 miles today without issue. I mostly chew up cassettes, but I'm pretty sure that is my lack of shifting technique. I have no idea what the current rendition of the 50 would be though...hopefully someone else does. I doubt it's made any more.

And yes, I'm knocking on wood as I type this.

#21 ·
"Chewing up cassettes" is more likely a result of you not cleaning, lubing, or replacing your chain. An old, worn out chain will trash a new cassette in no time even with proper shifting technique due to the increased spacing of the links from roller wear.

I recommend you replace your chain next time you destroy a cassette, and a little cleaning/lubing goes a long way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.