mtbr member
    May 2005

cbig guy light bike?

hey, Im 230 pounds, I have a 03 kona scrap, really good xc bike for my weight, but Im goinf to change the deometry to more xc (scrap stock is more a dirt jumping bike).
    The thing is I dont want to spend a lot of money, otherwise I would buy a brand new xc bike, but this kona frame worth it. Besides some csrbon components, wich else I sould change to make 4 pounds lighter bike, without sacrified streght???

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ain't gonna happen, here's why.....

You want to lighten the bike without spending allot of money or sacrificing strength. Sorry it' can't be done. To get light strong components you HAVE to spend MONEY and a lot of it! The problem is light and strong are NOT cheap. Cheap isn't going to be light, or it isn't going to be strong. That and you are talking trying to drop 4lbs!!!! That's gonna cost you ALLOT!!!

But here's what I would do based on your weight and never or rarely jumping or dropping the bike.

First the wheels and tires, I'd say go with a set of Hope Pro II hubs, Mavic 719 rims, DT Comp spokes, with a Stans kit, then find some tires in 2.1 in the 580 to 650 gram range. That should drop pretty close to a solid 2 pounds right there.

Next would be the fork. DJ's are boat anchors at best. I'd say a RS Reba SL or Race would save you close to a pound.

From there the weight savings become a matter of a few grams here and a few grams there, and would be more performace upgrades rather than weight savings.

A couple of other areas that will save a few grams are, Thomson Stem and Seat post, carbon bar, LX crank set, XT deraileurs and shifters. I'd bet those would get you close to another pound. But at the same time you'd be looking as spending some serious CASH!
    If you bought new I'd guess you'd be pushing hard on the $1200 mark, if not more!

Now I've taken into consideration that you are a Clyde and need strength as well as light weight. But as you can see the cost is going to be consderable. I know that this saying is as worn out as your first pair of riding shoes, but it is still applicable. A wise man once said "Light, cheap, strong, PICK TWO!" It just isn't possible to have all three.

So the bottom line, for the cost of components to lighten your Scrap, you could easily buy a whole new bike! It is more fun to upgrade and sort of build it yourself. But it will cost you as much or more in the long run than just saving the bucks and getting a new bike. Saving a couple of pounds wouldn't be bad, but your trying to shave 4lbs! That's almost as much as the frame itself weighs!

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks a lot

I got it!!!

mtbr member
    Or look at it the way I do, is it cheaper for you or your bike to lose 4 pounds?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    Or look at it the way I do, is it cheaper for you or your bike to lose 4 pounds?
    1 pound on the bike = 8 pounds on the rider. Ergo, you'd need to lose 36 pounds to equal the loss of 4 on the bike.

If you believe that sort of thing.

My contribution is that you should start with the tires. You can lose between 1 and 3 pounds just by switching the tires, but to do so you must do your research!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep, Im 30 something pounds overweight, so first I need to lose some fat. Im doing that, thats why I want to light my bike down, to make more enjoyable those climbs that I love and also suffer.
    But well I just sold the scrap and I just got an almost brand new 05 kona caldera xc bike, much better geometry for xc, 3 pounds lighter, so what Im going to do is for every 8 pounds that i lose from my body fat I will buy me a "present", like 200 gram lighter carbon handlebar, 200 gr lighter saddle, so on.

I never though I will be a weight weenie because my freride background and my overweight. Now my Bullit is waiting for the new moster fork, meanwhile Im enjoying my xc rider that I have inside of me.

Maybe I getting nuts now, what do you thing about tubeless?

Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    Yep, Im 30 something pounds overweight, so first I need to lose some fat. Im doing that, thats why I want to light my bike down, to make more enjoyable those climbs that I love and also suffer.
    But well I just sold the scrap and I just got an almost brand new 05 kona caldera xc bike, much better geometry for xc, 3 pounds lighter, so what Im going to do is for every 8 pounds that i lose from my body fat I will buy me a "present", like 200 gram lighter carbon handlebar, 200 gr lighter saddle, so on.

I never though I will be a weight weenie because my freride background and my overweight. Now my Bullit is waiting for the new moster fork, meanwhile Im enjoying my xc rider that I have inside of me.

Maybe I getting nuts now, what do you thing about tubeless?
    Dude! You have an awesome XC bike just waiting to be built up! Don't put big forks on the Bullit. Just get some Fox 36s and make it into an all mountain ride. Half the people out here in my neck of the woods ride Bullits as their main bike, and let's just say that the stuff out here is much steeper and rockier than anywhere else I've ridden. Plus, these guys are not clydes. In fact, I saw a group ride once on a very technical trail. It consisted of about ten people. Who was in front? Average Joe on a Bullit. So my final advice is to get some lighter wheels (Mavic Crossmax XLs, for instance) and a light 6" travel fork and make that thing into an allrounder.

mtbr member
    May 2005

you are right guyechtka...

...I have now the Bullit by almost 2 years as my all mountain bike, it pedals great indeed, not be fastest but it climbs very good. I live in southamerica (Ecuador) and there's a lot of steep hills because the high Andes mountains, and all my biker friends got amazed to see me (230 pounds chuby boy) climb in the Bullit machine (37 pounds) so well.

The thing is I just broke my semilight "strong"rims a year ago so now I have the strongest (and heviest) Mavic rims...now I dont worry about this. 2 months ago I just broke my Marzocchi Z1 QR20, in the stantions and the uper crown. Im not the heaviest rider in the world, but I do some jumps, drops and Im not the easiest and softest in my bike so my components suffers alot. I didnt got a monster fork I just bought the Marz 66 Light ETA that it is not so light but the ETA feature helped me so much. The Bullit frame is like new, with some scrathes but it will never going to break!! Just waiting to get the F$%# Hayes 74 mm post mounts that is almost imposible to get.

Im really missing my SC Bullit, now in my Kona Caldera I have to choose the smothest line , no more than 1 or 1/5 foot jumps or drops, but it is a good ticket to start loosing some weight, keep and improve my fitness, waiting to be as strong or more once my Bullit is complete.

Thats why I want to light my xc bike down, for training, and my Bullit ready to enjoy the mountains. Also in the Caldera xc bike Im enjoying way more all those 2400 fts climbs.
    I love to ride mtbikes, maybe in the future a road bike ??

[QUOTE=PAMATRAIL
    Im really missing my SC Bullit, now in my Kona Caldera I have to choose the smothest line , no more than 1 or 1/5 foot jumps or drops, but it is a good ticket to start loosing some weight, keep and improve my fitness, waiting to be as strong or more once my Bullit is complete.

Thats why I want to light my xc bike down, for training, and my Bullit ready to enjoy the mountains. Also in the Caldera xc bike Im enjoying way more all those 2400 fts climbs.
    I love to ride mtbikes, maybe in the future a road bike ??[/QUOTE]

So you should ride that hard tail for a few months to get used to picking a smooth line and landing jumps smoothly. Then you can go back to the Bullit!

But really, I don't know if going to Monster Ts is going to solve the problem. I mean you will add a couple pounds to the bike and slacken the geometry. It won't pedal uphill as well.

Hey, I have a full suspension pig (34 pounds) and a couple of hard tails. I definitely agree that cruising around on the hard tails is fun. But, if I were asked to choose just one all around bike, it would have to be the full suspension one. That's why I put all my money into it and skimped on the hard tail builds. So far, I haven't had any trouble with my hard tail. It just keeps on rolling without anything breaking. If something does break, I look around for the cheapest components available (usually ones that are three years old and on final closeout).