mtbr member
    Jan 2006

cassette and chain question...

Bike is a K2 Apache 6.0
    I had the same equipment on my Chumba EVO but not this problem...

OK..long story short,... quick ride today came to some huge mud pit/ruts, shifted too late as I thought I could find a route around and couldnt... started to power thru, and snap goes the chain. And my regular bike kit was on the workbench so no chian or breaker... so walked back after .25 miles..

AS I inspected closer I notice a missing tooth on the casssette.. I am 235 dressed and wondering should I replace the cassete with the same PG-980. Or is something more heavy duty for a clyde....

I will keep using a SRAM Gold Powerlink chain.

A search found no good results.

need to buy ASAP!!!

mtbr member
    Hi onabike,

I'm about the same size as you. I've had no problems at all running an XT cassette, HG93 chain & Powerlink. My $.02... Good luck!

Dirt Deviant
    I have a 980 on one bike and 990 on my other 3 bikes. Great cassettes. I run PC991 chains on all bikes. I wouldn't run any less of a chain. The cross step version is even stronger due to the process of how the pins are stamped in. So I have heard.
    Oh Yea, I weigh 300lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bent cogs on the XT cassette with in a couple hundred miles. I went to the PG980 on both of my bikes and they have been holding strong. I have been running an XT chain with this. I am a light weight clyde coming in at 210. How many miles do you have on the drive train. Maybe it was time to change them and that is why you saw the failure. Also, I used to shift with heavy loads on the cassette and I was tearing them up. Once I learned to let up a little when I shifted the cassettes have lasted much longer. Small break in the tension makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thx Molly... good stuff...

-Lee
    Apr 2009

8 vs 9 speed

Hey is there some reason why I could not put a 9 speed cassette where I now have an 8 speed cassette on my bike? I have a Shimano M-475 Disc rim on now if that helps. Thanks for the feedback. Also I see there are some gentlemen on this forum that are a little larger such as myself. If you wouldn't mind are there any tips that I could use to keep from flying through equipment such as rims other than just get the beefy stuff? Thanks guys. Ride on!

Dirt Deviant
    If you have an 8spd setup, you can't add just a 9spd cassette, without changing the rear shifter and chain as well.
    As far as rims go, I run heavy duty wheels. If you want something that is strong and light, it won't be very cheap.
    But a nice handbuilt wheelset with the right components will be the best way to go. But plan on spending some $.
    If $$ are a concern, you'll have to go with something geared more towards FR/DH like I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    im really new into these forums so be aware with me ahaha .... ok i have bought a bike yakuza aniki and im having a really ugly problem ... i think...ok while im pedaling my chain its snaping.... i dunno from where or how but its really weird.... this always happends to me when im going uphill or when im pushing the pedals with my weight to go faster.....
    why is that???...

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by asoto120
    im really new into these forums so be aware with me ahaha .... ok i have bought a bike yakuza aniki and im having a really ugly problem ... i think...ok while im pedaling my chain its snaping.... i dunno from where or how but its really weird.... this always happends to me when im going uphill or when im pushing the pedals with my weight to go faster.....
    why is that???...
    Snapping as in breaking and falling off the bike? Or as in skipping?
    If it is skipping only when you put alot of pressure on the cranks, I'd say it is most likely time for a new chain and or cassette. Prolly both.
    But it could be other things too. I'd take it to a shop if you are unsure.

Underskilled
    Cant be bothered to read your post as this comes up SO often.

if breaking chains go for a KMC X9, this IS the definative clyde chain.

Cassettes is harder, I have had issues with Sram 970, fine with shimano deore, much better with XT.

The chain is the best by a mile, I have broken tons of chains and have tried most chains from most providers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

thankyou!

ahaha the bike is new man ... is like 6 weeks old the most ... umm and yeah the bikes is kind of like skipping when im like in a high gear or something ...... yeah i think im going to take it to a shop they know for shure ehehe thanks man!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just a thought, but if your running in your smallest chainring up front, 1st gear and your are then running in your smallest cog in the back, 8th or 9th, you might be hearing the rear derailler banging on itself because it can't take up all of the chain slack. Just a thought. Your rear derailler might also be out of adjustment and it is not lined up properly causing it catch on the upper cog slightly pulling the chain up as if it was trying to shift. Back our the rear derailler adjustment knob half a turn or so and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mollystocks
    Just a thought, but if your running in your smallest chainring up front, 1st gear and your are then running in your smallest cog in the back, 8th or 9th, you might be hearing the rear derailler banging on itself because it can't take up all of the chain slack. .
    Yeah, and it is generally not adviseable to use the smaller cogs in back when using the small chain ring up front, because the chain may get too slack. Nor to use the Large cogs in back when using the large chainring up front, because the chain may get too tight. Both of these scenarios also give you wierd chain lines that can be bad.

One thing I had to learn to stop breaking wheels was to lighten up when hitting objects. Basically this consists of standing, unweighting my feat as I hit the object, and letting the bike rise up towards my chest.
    Another thing I learned was that I had to slow down when I was going to hit square edges like stair steps.