Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon wheels

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  JHH 
#1 ·
Any carbon wheels that are clyde approved? I'm about 240 + gear. The light bicycle all mountain rims look promising if built with some heavier spokes than the dt revolutions. Also the new $1200 rovals look nice. It'd be nice to get a wheelset around 1600 grams. That'd be 3/4 of a pound lighter than a set of flows.

#2 ·
You can get non-carbon wheels that will assuredly be cheaper in the 1600g range.

Dunno what type of terrain you ride but I weigh over 240 with gear on Bontrager Race Lite wheels, which are about 1600g, and have had no issue. I was 270 when I started on them too. I am SOLD on carbon frames, not sure about carbon wheels... that's another topic though.

#8 ·
That's good to know, because I've been talking to my buddy at Easton about a set of Havens and I was a little leery of going with a 24H... We talked carbon as well, but they aren't as stiff as people think. And I'm not paying as much for a set of wheels as I did for my bike to save 150grams over a top level AL wheelset.

#11 ·
Also, if you ask, Light Bikes will add extra carbon layers to their rims for a small fee. Nancy told me at one time she'd make me a 450 gram rim for $10 extra. I think their AM rims are usually around 400 grams. I almost bought a used set of rims off someone local to build up but didn't really need them.

#13 ·
IMO, I just don't feel the difference between the LB carbons on my Jet9rdo and stock aluminum wheels on my Superfly Trek. I'm 215 lbs and have been using Strava for more than a year to compare/document my segment times and compete favorably against other "average-size" riders. My best times really come when the trail soil conditions and I am able to give best effort.
That said, if you go LB, don't buy complete wheel sets from them. My spokes and front hub have all failed in less than a year….partly due to aluminum nipple issue.

#16 ·
Can anyone give me advice on whether or not I can run a carbon hoop (EVNE) on the front of my Ripley, with the aluminum Stan's Arch on the rear? Why, you ask?! I had a warranty issue on the SpeedTuned hub that came on my Ripley. After multiple repairs and replacing it once, the dealer agreed to replace the hub, at their cost, with the DT Swiss 240 (my choice). So now I'm running a Stan's Arch/DT240 on the rear, and I want to get rid of the POS SpeedTuned hub on the front. So, I'm thinking why not do it right and get a carbon wheel build on the front. I'm a bit concerned the from and rear may feel way too different (no flex/flex). Thoughts? Thanks!

#18 ·
As an experienced Clyde (6-3 275) I have broken frames,cranks,pedal axles, wheels,freehubs, seatrails,shocks. I consider myself a walking destructive tester.

Wheels- I think carbon if done properly has some real advantages for us. The issue with rim mfg today is they have abandoned the market that demands 36H and 40H rims.
As MTB went to 26" wheels it was perceived as overkill(36H) by the industry, except at the very fringes of users (Clydes and Tandems). Bottom line they don't really care to stock a small percentage of 36H drilled product waiting for us to buy them.
With larger rim diameters you could see the need for 36H creeping back (I hope).

I have not destroyed any rims lately as I run DH Mavic (very heavy) and FlowEX.
What I break frequently are spokes on climbs.
My next wheel build will be a Wide Carbon 26" rim with 32H and triple butted spokes(2.3mm at the bend) and the spokes always break at the bend.
I only run Chris King or DT Swiss hubs as they are the only freehubs that I have never seen or heard of failing. IMO CK is far and away the premier rear hub maker for us.
Stay away from silly light cranks and racy light pedals.
I always shorten a longer fork for trail (36mm min), run 20mm axles and 203F/180R rotors.
Shimano Icetech rotors (RT86) significantly reduce heat issues on the brakes. They are the only ones to use in my opinion.
All suspension tuners will tell you to go coil for optimum performance, but it is ridiculously heavy and nobody wants to make coils at a high enough rate for those over 220-240.You can get air to work OK (not great) but would be advised to have it tuned as the RB and compression circuits are not designed to handle our mass. You will also need to pay more attention to seal maintenance.

#20 ·
A little flex is not a bad thing......but just a little. There is a noticeable difference between a 36H and 32H rim build. Wider rims also make a huge difference.
I am pushing Derby to make some 26x 40mm wide carbon rims that will weigh 440g or less. These will be the ultimate if it happens.

#21 ·
Its gonna take a long time for me to get comfortable with the idea of carbon wheels for us big guys. And I may never get there with carbon wheels on a 29er for big guys. The pysics/cost/risk equation, I just can't get to work. Do you guys think there is enough of a performance improvement with carbon wheels to risk it? The weight savings generally shouldnt' be an issue for us big guys, so performance improvement is the only benefit. Or maybe I"m wrong. Feel free to flame me.

#22 ·
I don;t see an issue with CF wheels. Depends on the structure.
The latest DH/AM CF stuff is at least as strong if not significantly stronger than aluminum and up to 150g lighter. All that weight is on the outer rotating edge. I don't see a downside as long as you stay on the HD side of CF rims.
I don't see any reason why a Clyde would be on a 29er anyway. Shitty gearing would rule it out for me unless I was riding nothing but flat, rolling terrain. Not to mention the heavy rolling weight and flimsy nature of 29er wheels.

#23 ·
I built up a set of LB wide 29er wheels. I used BHS hubs and DT comp spokes 32/32. 1585g for the set. I'm 245 naked and they are doing fine. I ride XC but go down pretty fast. Do the occasional 12" drop and rock gardens. So far the strongest wheels I've ridden.

#24 ·
Regarding CF wheels, like aluminum they can be made strong and are generally stronger than similar weight aluminum wheels. But, due to the layup, compression and epoxy matrix along with being very hands on to make, we've introduced many opportunities for defects.

Personally, recently placed an order with LB for their carbon rims. I like their transparency, their history of process improvements is right on their website and their cost makes it a low financial risk option. I'll build 'em up with DT comp' and XT hubs and expect to have a direct replacement for my Flows for my hardtail. I never had strength problems with the Flows but a stick got in the works and pulled spokes through.

See the test data I posted up the thread a few days ago. Check out the 29er 35W-25D which is an AM rim it is 14% heavier than their XC rim, but 58% stronger. I'd like to see the Flows hold that weight, I broke my already damaged one by sitting and bouncing on it, I'd guess this carbon rim is significantly stronger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.