mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Carbon Stem & Bar?

Been on my new 29er Stumpy FSR Expert for almost two months now & loving the heck out of it. Yesterday I bought an S-Works carbon flat bar for it but probably won't install it until I upgrade the stem. I'm a 240 lb xc rider and have run carbon bars before w/o any problems

My question: I've been a big fan of Thomson stems & posts forever but I'm thinking about a carbon stem for this bike. Anyone have input on a good, strong carbon XC stem? Not sure if I'd be saving much weight in going carbon vs. a Thomson stem.

And of course, the whole idea of saving a few grams on this upgrade may heap scorn upon me, but hey, I got the cash & likes me some carbon!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Suburban Redneck
    I'm curious to see what the "others" have to say about this. At 225 (down from nearly 250) I was hesitant to use any carbon on my recent xc hardtail build. I just can't get used to the idea of something that feels plastic-y supporting my weight. On the roadie I may be a bit more willing to try it.

As far as criticism for saving a few grams while being a bigger guy I say "f it". It's your ride and your coin. Just make sure to post pics when done.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I used an Easton EC70 bar on my hardtail for two years. I'm fairly convinced that carbon bars, stems & seat posts are strong enough for us clydes when we're just riding xc trails.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I looked at carbon stems briefly and concluded that they are way more expensive and really dont save much weight. Stick with a quality alloy stem and go carbon bars. X4 with an Easton carbon bar is money.

mtbr member
    Carbon bars are great for any weight (carbon is stronger than aluminum, not saying every carbon bar is stronger than every al bar, but for the same weight I have more faith in the carbon), carbon stems... I don't see a benefit. You know the old saw: light, strong, cheap; comparing every carbon stem I've seen vs a Thomson x4, it's pretty much pick none (none are as strong, none significantly lighter, all are significantly more expensive). I'm wondering what you are looking to get from a carbon stem that you aren't getting from the old standard?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    Carbon bars are great for any weight (carbon is stronger than aluminum, not saying every carbon bar is stronger than every al bar, but for the same weight I have more faith in the carbon), carbon stems... I don't see a benefit. You know the old saw: light, strong, cheap; comparing every carbon stem I've seen vs a Thomson x4, it's pretty much pick none (none are as strong, none significantly lighter, all are significantly more expensive). I'm wondering what you are looking to get from a carbon stem that you aren't getting from the old standard?
    Good point. Honestly, the only thing is the "bling" of carbon.

I have seen the light & will go with my old standby Thomson. It's not like a Thomson product is some kind of downer, right?

Big Boy
    what did you end up getting? pics?

im having the same debate right now. Looking at the ritchey wcs axis 44 stem, and its not carbon, but its quite a bit lighter than alot of stems. This isnt something that you want to break!!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Members who have read this thread: 0