mtbr member
    May 2013

Carbon fork flex..

Wondering how much is too much. I've been using a Specialized Tricross I picked up for my daily fitness rides. Today while going downhill on gravel I happen to notice the front fork really flexing while hitting some washboard at 20+ mph. I checked for cracks and didn't see any. Wondering if I should maybe stay off this bike until I get my weight down further, is failure imminent with 300+lbs on it? I have other bikes to ride Ive just really enjoyed this cross bike for gravel/dirt roads. I'd like to hear ithers experiences with a carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Depends on the fork I'd say. Check to see if there's a weight limit. Some have low limits, some like the Niner RDO fork have a no rider limit and some like my Whiskey No. 9 have a 350 pound limit. I haven't ridden my fork yet so I can't comment on the flex. My road bike has a carbon fork and I've not noticed any flex but I'm riding smooth roads and avoiding bumps as much as possible.

***Just looked...the Tricross has a 240 pound weight limit on the S-Works and 275 on the others***

On another note, how do you like the bike? I was thinking about selling my Allez and getting a Tricross so I can do some trails as well.