mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Carbon for Clyde?

Do any Clydes ride with carbon handlebars? Has anyone had any problems with carbon bars?

I've avoided carbon for some time now, but am considering getting some carbon bars. I'm 6'6" and about 259lbs.

Should I continue avoiding, or give them a shot?

J

thread killer
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

not for me thank you.

I'm sure some people will say go for it.
    but not me.
    aluminum will bend before it breaks. will carbon? I'm not going to find out.
    let me know if you find out.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

Low speed, High Drag
    I've used carbon bars on everything from a 6" bike, to a single speed rigid, and never had a problem with 'em.

I'm a "smaller" Clyde at 5'11" and 217 lbs. but I beat the crap out of my bikes.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll soon find out, I just ordered one of the Easton Monkeylite DH bars from Pricepoint. (278lbs) According to reviews, clydes do us it. If it can take a 20 foot drop I think It can take florida riding (20 feet drop in florida? nope )

Underskilled
    That would be the only carbon bar I would trust.
    I would never under any circumstances EVER use a carbon stem.
    Once you have seen one fail it puts you off for life.
    steerer punched through the guys teeth one of those nice HELP WE NEED AN AMBULANCE moments.

Plus size jersey model
    I have some eastons as well on my Yeti. I am weighing in at 260 and have had zero problems with them. Oh and I ride and crash here in rocky Tucson so they can take some abuse.

Optimum Value
    Not running Carbon Bars, but I am using a Carbon Seatpost. So far it has held up very well to my weight. I ride out of saddle for the rougher stuff anyway, so I never put much force on it.

mtbr member
    I used a Ritchey Carbon WCS Riser handle bar and a Ritchey Pro Carbon seatpost. No problems at all. I used it for XC to AM purposes. The only reason I changed bars was for a white one that matched my bike(bling). I am 250lbs in my birthday suit and 275lbs geared up.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...like all products you can find carbon that's on the weak side or the strong end... the REAL problem with carbon is that you can't tell if a nick is integral to the part or not... and when it fails it's not going to be pretty... think sharp plastic shards resembling little knives...

remember to use a proper torque wrench when installing (over torquing will cause the bar to fail) and read the instructions assuming the bars come with em...

that being said... I ran a Ti bar for a good while on my rigid... which is typical a clyd no-no... but I liked it... and as I understand ti will bend before it snaps... so i'd get some warrning of failure... it'll go back on my bike when it goes back to rigid... my sprung fork has to short of a steerer tube
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Underskilled
    I would be nervous about getting a carbon seatpost, if it snapps you have sharp blades rammed into your inner thigh with tremendous force. All you need is one in your femoral artery and you day is getting worse by the second.

Singletrack groupie
    I've always ridden with carbon bars (easton monkeylight xc). Never a problem. I weigh 285lbs. I've got carbon bars on my new bike (08' Yeti 575), as well as a partial carbon rear triangle, we'll see how it holds up, I'm not too worried though.

People, learn to trust the carbon!

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've been running TruVativ carbon bars for 2 seasons now (on my 3rd) and have had no issues. I'm 250lbs and ride in the XC/AM style of things.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i even ride a carbon frame! its my xc bike and i weight 260 lbs and ride fairly aggressively

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride XC with an easton EC70 flat bar, I was nervous for a while but I doubt I'll actually break it. Im 290 dripping wet and over 300 geared up.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The Easton and Ritchey bars are the best carbon bars for the buck. As long as your wheels don't leave the ground much...you should be fine.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    225# 6'-7"
    Salsa Pro Moto Carbon bar. Works just fine for me, though I don't do big drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just put new grips and a MonkeyLite DH bar on my Trek 8000. Switched to the carbon bar to try it and so far so good. The numbness and pain has been alleviated but not completely gone. I'm sure the grips and rise/sweep of the bar helped a lot but I'm just wondering if going to wider bar also contributed. This bar was about 3" longer than the flat bar that came with the bike. Any thoughts?

By the way, I'm about 320lbs with gear too. Now I know that carbon and clydes don't mix but I'll continue to give this a shot. I'll keep you guys posted...

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been riding carbon since 2000, not one single failure. Both my road and mountain bike currently have carbon seatposts. I've use numorous carbon bars over the years (currently running Bontrager Race Lite Big Sweep bars, but I'll be getting Salsa Pro Moto Carbon bars when I can afford it).

Carbon products are no different than Aluminum and Titanium products...as a Clyde you have to look at the construction and weight. We all know we can't ride feather light alloy or ti...so the same applies to carbon. As long as you stay away from 99 gram handlebars and 160 gram seatposts, the carbon stuff will work fine. Fact is, the only handlebar that has ever failed me was a 220 gram alloy bar!

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    TruVativ 640mm carbon bar on my '08 Haro Escape Sport.. I'm 315# .. no issues coming up on 200 miles, but no huge drops either...