mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cantilever brake question

Any clydes using or used canti's on your XC rides? I'm toying with the idea of swapping out my Avid SD7's for Avid Shorty 6 canti's. No real reason for doing this other than I think it would look good on my full rigid XC ride. Strong enough for a 6'-4" 240 pound guy?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At your size, if your rides include any lengthy downhill sections, I would avoid cantilever brakes. JMHO.

local trails rider
    V's brake better than cantis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm a Clyde, and after struggling with my cantis on my old fully-rigid for years (a bike shop put me off the conversion years ago by telling me I'd have to change the levers & integrated shifters if I changed to Vs) I finally got fed up with them and bought Shimano LX Vs.
    The increase in stopping power is amazing, if a little too strong! (It's easy to lock-up either wheel if you're not careful).
    I kept the old levers & shifters as they were, without issues - I found that although the old long-travel levers give you more pull than you really need, being long travel helps you to modulate.
    I now don't get aching fingers after downhill sections!

Even in comparison to discs - you've got to get the biggest rotors to match the stopping power of the Vs (in dry weather, anyway).

Dump the cantis - get Vs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, canti's out. Any thoughts on Magura HS33s? I've got an older frame with no disc mount.

local trails rider
    I hear HS33 has more power than V's.
    What is wrong with your V's? Need more bling? Money burning in your pockets?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    An unexplainable urge to buy stuff for my bike when there is really no reason to.

local trails rider
    You can always find a reason if you put your mind to it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by punk77
    Ok, canti's out. Any thoughts on Magura HS33s? I've got an older frame with no disc mount.
    best rim brakes ever made. the only ones I'd ever consider. Seat stay flex will actually limit their power - you'll be able to see the brake studs move when you brake hard in the rear. Modulation rivals discs.

cantilevers... you'd have to shove them into my cold dead hands, and even then there might be some reflex to throw them back. I used those for years before seeing the light of magies.

mtbr member
    How are the HS33's for XC riding for a super clyde? People seem to think that they are too much for anything besides trials, but I'm thinking that any extra stopping power would be beneficial when trying to stop my fat butt from going over the side of cliff.

I have LX V-brakes on my Rockhopper and would like to get some more stopping power with less hand strain for longer DH sections. They're much cheaper than good discs and I don't ride in mud.

Any recommendations on using them for just the back or for both front and back? I'd rather not fly over my handlebars more often than absolutely necessary.

mtbr member
    I've never been really a superclyde - 250 was the highest I've ever been. IMO the belief that they are too much for anything but trials is stupid, but... They modulate better than Vbrakes. a lot better; if I was in a dry area I'd think about them over discs.

I used a rear only for a while on my first dualie, which predated Vbrakes (cable approach of cantis was a problem). Having your rear brake a lot more powerful than your front is bad business; if I where only getting one HS33 I'd put it in the front. Accidental brake endos are because of bad technique, not too powerful brakes. magies modulate so much better than Vs that I've been able to brake much harder in front and back off when I needed to - really it's not like you are going to flip if you feather the brake at the wrong time.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a pair along with some new superclyde worthy wheels. Thanks for the info.