mtbr member

Can't decide which tire to get.

I'm putting my new ride together (SC NOMAD) and I can't decide which tires to go with. We do a lot of climbing here in Hawaii cause theres no shuttling and I like to come down the mountain fast. I'm around 250 +/- 5lbs. I want to get the maxxis high rollers or the kenda nevegals in size 2.35, but don't know if I should go with the folding or wire beads and single or dual ply. Never tried these tires before. Need some input.

Get out and ride
    Sep 2003
    I love the Conit Vertical Pros. Tread last a VERY long time, smooth rolling and is great in dry and wet conditions. Great all around tire... usually can be found on sale for about 34-39 bucks. Only on my FS, I use 2.5 weirwolf on front and Conti 2.3 on rear. for SS, 2.3 front and rear.
    Jeff

Plus size jersey model
    I was running the High Rollers for quit awhile on my 575 and really like them. The wire bead version was def sturdy enough for my weight 255ish. I am running the GEAX Sturdy which I am really digging and you can never really go wrong with the Nevs but I did have wear issues on them especially when I would ride to the trail head on some pavement. I am also running the Panaracer Rampages on my 29er and they are a nice all mt tire.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Single ply (better climbing); wire bead (stronger foundation for mounting).
    Nevegals have a sterling rep. I personally like Maxxis, between the two brands.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Former Bike Wrench
    I would only consider dual ply if your doing some pretty burly descents on rocky trails...and you pinch flat a lot. Otherwise go single ply.

Having owned both tires but the High Rollers in dual ply (on a Stinky) and the Nevegals single ply (on a 29er)...its a tough comparisson. I like the cornering of the Nevegals better but at least some of that can be attributed to the 29er wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    im 240 lbs...ran nevegals the last few years and swore by em...however, my last two rear nevs started to tear at the bead/seam and began to bubble...switched to maxxis to try something different....am now running high roller single ply rear and ardent in the front....love them even better....you sacrfice a little weight w/ the maxxis...but definitely made me feel more confident especially in rocky terrain

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I take a different view from most, and run multi-ply DH tires all the time. This is on a SS too, but to me it's well worth the elimination of pinch flats AND the ability to run nice low pressures. I'm 230lbs, and 20-23psi at the low end is pretty sweet when you don't pinch.

Yes, they are heavy, and kicked my butt when I got back on the trails in March. But I've since adjusted to them and climb fine - not to mention how much stronger I am when I jump on my geared XC bike!

I'd say go dual ply.

Tom P.

mtbr member
    I just wanted to thank all you fellow Clydes out there for your input. I now which direction to go now with the tires.