mtbr member

Cannondale Rush 400 OK for 6'1" 250lb'er

Hey all, glad to see us bigguns have our own section. Anyway, I didn't do a whole lot of research before purchasing my bike, now that I'm starting to read some of the threads I see weight should be taken into account when choosing the right bike. So I'm concerned I may have made a mistake with my purchase. I weigh in at 250lbs, 6'1", and I went with the large frame. Mainly I intend to use the bike for riding local trails. Won't be doing any downhilling (I live in flat Florida). Also I don't plan on taking my bike off any sweet jumps. The trails I ride have a lot of exposed roots and the occasional pothole (not paved of course). There are some sections that have brief dropoffs heading into a creek, but nothing dramatic. All things considered, I plan to be down to 220-230 in 6months, and hopefully shed more weight down the road. So was the Rush 400 an OK decision? I purchased it from an LBS so I would hope they would have qualified me better if there was an issue. But I'd like the opinion of a bike community rather than someone taking my cash.
    Tampa, FL
    '06 Cannondale Rush 400

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Rush seems like a reasonable choice for a Clyde. Not sure about the particular components on a 400. Be prepared to get new wheels. You are likely to break/taco the OEM ones. If you end up needing new wheels, get handbuilt even though its more expensive. I went through 3 machine built rears before I went to handbuilt.

mtbr member
    you will be fine, go after it. You probably did not get the best fork for you, but if it works, go for it. I dont know if it is spring or air, but if its spring, make sure you have the heavy springs. If its air, make sure it is inflated for your weight, as most bikes come set up for 175lb riders. Other than wheels and possible fork, there is nothing wrong with the bike. Good components, etc. You may have to have parts serviced more often do to the stress that you put on em, but rest assured the bike will work fine for you.

Matt

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. So far I'm very happy with the bike, and I've already started tracking my weight loss. I can't even compare it to the old Mongoose. The rear shock and fork are both air. I think I have the rear shock about right, still experimenting with the fork.

I took 2 spills when i was out the other night, both times while taking a tight corner and the rear tire slid out on an exposed root. Could this be corrected by adjusting the suspension or is this a riding technique issue? Started wondering if my weight should be shifted forward when going around corners?

Also, the toe cages are a bit of a hassle to get in/out of. When I fall and get up in a hurry and start down the trail, I can never spin the pedal around and get my toe in the cage without slowing down and looking down at my feet for a few seconds. Is this process any easier with the clips? Also I've heard mentioned of a clipless, design, I don't understand the differences between the two.
    Tampa, FL
    '06 Cannondale Rush 400

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was thinking about getting a rush and I e-mailed cannondale if I was to big for a rush at 225lbs. they e-mailed me back say absolutley not, theis not a weight limit and the bike would be fine even for a bigger rider. and as for the pedals I think you are thinking of clipless pedals as clip pedals. clipless pedals are the ones tha tyour shoe will have a cleat that will lock into the pedal. GET THEM! it will suck for a little while ,but once you get used to them you will clip in and out with out thinking. You will not slide off your pedals in the muddy fl condititions, and won't have seach for the cage (actually it is a toe clip) before you start pedaling.