mtbr member

Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels strong enough?

So, I read the reviews and the few that are there look GREAT for this wheelset, even for some big guys. I run 6'3" 211 lbs (without gear) and ride a 4" FS bike through rough and rocky XC with no drops bigger than about 18". These appear to be more rugged than the Mavic CrossRides or other similar straight-pull disc wheels. I like the idea of the straight pull spoke and the assymetrical rim for more even spoke tension on both sides of the wheel. Plus, these are 28 spoke vs. 24 spoke on the Mavics.

http://www.canecreek.com/terros_disc.html

The owner of my LBS is offering to sell me his own personal lightly used set of these Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels with a set of Maxxis Larsen TT's and a Stan's conversion thown in for about 1/2 of what the entire set-up would be new. I just want to know if they will hold up to my weight and abuse as I've had spoke breakage issues in the past. Whatcha think???

Thanks folks.

Ian

mtbr member
    Too late, guys. I picked them up on the way home from work tonight. First ride happens tomorrow. I'll give my report sometime this weekend. It's been a few months since I've got through a full weekend without breaking at least one spoke in my rear wheel so I have my fingers crossed.

Ian

mtbr member

Update

Well, folks, after the long 3-day weekend, I am proud to say that this is the first time in months that I haven't broken at least one spoke before Monday morning. I got in one ride per day ranging from 1 to 2.5 hours or so with NO problems.

After a few months of riding on these I'll put my formal review up on the MTBR Reviews page.

locked - time out
    Congrats on your CC wheels. Ive been on my CC Aeroheat GS for over 2yrs and only had
    to true the rear once. So I wish you the best of luck.

Jake Pay, CC Here.