Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Can a Clyde ride a full suspension??

I have recently started mounting biking and couple of years ago and have been riding a 26" Felt hard tail. I am looking to upgrade this year and am wondering if I could go full suspension at 260 lbs or should I stick with hard tail? I was also wondering if anybody has had trouble riding 29" wheels or should I pick something smaller like 27.5"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm in at 240lbs w/ gear, and I've ridden some full suspension without problem. 260 might be pushing the limits though. This might be best addressed by e-mailing the shock manufacturer's directly to make sure their warranty will cover it.
    The air-shock on the giant felt a litle bouncy, but I don't think they set the pressure right. the specialized felt fine though. I currently ride a coil-sprung FS, and it handles my weight much better, at a slight weight penalty for the shock. Finding coil shocks is getting more difficult though except on downhill bikes, and thoose always have huge travel.

I'm also on a 29er w/ WTB rims. No problems so far, but I don't do big air, just rocks, roots, and litle air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Really depends on your riding style, if you're a hucker type rider, maybe not. I'm 250ish (for now) and I just picked up my first 29er FS (coming from 26 hardtail for years) and I couldn't be happier, but I'm not doing 6ft drops either at least with wheels off the ground 2 ft of air is plenty to get my adrenaline rushing. The FS makes a huge difference in all around comfort level, and I'm loving the monster truck like qualities of the 29 inch wheels. Mine came with a fox ctd and I was able to easily set up proper sag for my weight and was well within the pressure specifications. I say go for it you won't regret it. There are some deals to be had out there right now too.

mtbr member
    Sure, no problems, particularly at your weight. I've fluctuated between 215# and 260# over the last 10 years of riding FS bikes, and haven't had any issues. That includes probably 20 days riding lifts riding downhill and flow tracks, several more days at bike parks hitting up to about 6 ft drops, tables, all that. Never had a suspension issue. I don't intend to ever ride anything else. I guess I should keep in mind that I have only had beefier "All mountain" style FS bikes, such as the Enduro in my signature, and love having a 36 mm stanchion fork, 20 mm thru-axles, 8" rotors, and other equipment that is about as heavy duty as it comes -- I've not owned a 'light xc' bike since my HT Stumpjumper -- but I don't think that at 260# you're going to stress out any bike beyond its capabilities. Of course, if it has coil suspension, you'll probably have to upgrade or change the coils to support the weight, as they come sprung for about 175 lbs as I understand, but the fact that they make heavier coils for heavier riders kinda answers the question, too!

Can't help you re: 29 vs. 27.5, since I've only had 26" bikes, but I don't think you'll have an issue either way.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the help! I pretty much keep it not he ground but ride some pretty rough terrain so thought FS would be nice.

mtbr member
    Not an issue at all at your weight IMHO....I'm between 215 and 220 lbs. My full suspension bike is a 2008 Giant Trance X2 (26") I am at just under 6,000 miles on it, beat the snot out of it and have had zero problems.

Giant's Maestro suspension is amazing by the way, I am still using the original pivot bearings. My Fox shock and fork are at PUSH right now getting a re build, can't wait to get it back on the trails!

With the varied terrain here in Nor Cal, I also ride a rigid 29er singlespeed and a 29er hardtail......It's nice to be able to "switch it up"

turtles make me hot
    I've weighed as much as 288 (Don't ask) and I've been riding a full suspension Stumpjumper for a few years. I did crack the 2008 frame. Specialized said it was a heat treating issue and replaced the frame. I've been on the 09 frame ever since.
    I weigh about 255 right now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    310 and larger at times, been riding a FS since my 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler until it finally cracked 14 years later. Guess what I bought to replace it? You know it, Santa Cruz Heckler, and it's been rock solid since the day I built it up!

This new Heckler I have setup with 27.5's... I am really pleased with the overall handling.

I do have a 29 rigid, but i've yet to try out a 29 FS. So I can't really speak on the difference between the two.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Been on a Giant Anthem X 29er for the past three years and have had no problems. My weight has fluctuated between 255 and 290 during that time. IMHO, you can ride a 29er FS as long as you don't go all weight-weenie with the components, but the same goes for any bike really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the help everybody, I did email Fox to see what they suggest we'll see if I here something back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    260# 2012 giant anthem x 29er, and will never go back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Of course! I ride Trek Fuel (26ER) and i'm 240....I Also have 29er HT Superfly...happy trails
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Kick Start My Heart
    260# on a 2004 Trek Fuel 70, now 230# on a 2013 EX 8. You will be fine. If anything, be smooth, it's easier on the gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    OP... Yes you can ride a FS bike that is for sure. I have done all types of riding throughout the years ranging from XC to DH to Trials to even Road. I have always been able to find a bike that fit the bill that I was looking for but it did take more time to find the right bike and will most likely cost a bit more to build up for a heavier guy (you and i are the same weight)

I am currently on a Santacruz Tallboy AL (its a 29er if you dont know) and I have been ripping the trails on it. this bike replaced a Santacruz nomad carbon that I still have hanging in a garage. thus far the Tallboy has proven to be faster on ALL the trails that I rode the Nomad on but it probably isn't as tough but I'm no longer interested in doing big drops and have found the tallboy to be much more playful. it being a 29er has made no difference in the durability of the bike thusfar and I have close to 700 miles on it, but I did build a pretty strong wheel set for it.
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The best thing I ever did was go to a full suspension. It is so forgiving for us 300 plus guys and helps the wheels. I am six six and I am looking for a 29r full.... I have gts broke a couple of frames that have been replaced courtesy of Performance.... Love my fox shocks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 250 and riding a Turner Sultan that can take anything you can throw at it.

mtbr member
    Full Suspension is Da Bomb. I miss it. Had for years then stopped biking for a bit. I'll skip the details... The bike I'm on now is a used hardtail. I demo'd a few Salsa bikes this fall at a local event. I was testing FS 29'ers and ride a 26". I asked a pile of questions of the reps because I push 230 and "remember" how to ride hard. I'm 50 and don't like going uphill but it's the only way to get to downhills for free (around here). Frankly, I just don't like working as hard at riiding so I was curious if an FS 29 would be forgiving and NOT break the bank ordering a ton of wheel and suspesion mods. The air suspension(s) from Fox have to, by necessity, be designed for some pretty insane forces. That wouldn't be an issue. Wheels and frame... The new All-Moutian/Enduro wheels are actually less expensive then their super-lightweight cousins for undersized people to XC on - much less, like half the price. Someone jokingly said "if you're going to be cliff jumping... DH frames are just way easier to use for that..." Makes sense. So.... FS a big YES. Any modern bike (Shimano SLX and above) can work. If you get to the point where you are getting competitive, that'll change a few things but you can buy solutions very easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I weight 200, 215 with gear and ride a FS 29er (Trek Fuel EX). I mainly ride XC - no issues as yet, and super comfortable compared to my HT 29er.
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ride a Heckler with a DHX rear and a Recon fork. I am about 265lbs before my pack. Once I got the suspension dialed in for my weight it has been great, zero problems.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just to pile on... I was 324 without my hydration pack when I bought and started riding my 2013 Spec Camber Comp. Now I am 299 and still riding the Camber along with my newly added Trek Domane.

Summary: 260 is a lightweight for a lot of suspension designs.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that, Knight 511. I'm just getting back into this and it is good to hear that FS may work for me as well. I may have to go 29er full suspension on my next bike, although I'm pretty happy with 26" right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    240lbs pre-gear here and run 180psi on my rear shock on an XC bike. Max is 300psi. You're fine, especially on an AM bike.

JHH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Thanks for that, Knight 511. I'm just getting back into this and it is good to hear that FS may work for me as well. I may have to go 29er full suspension on my next bike, although I'm pretty happy with 26" right now.
    Puma you maybe
    And your 26 wheels spin you fast I see
    However as a clyde the 29s will glide
    much more effortlessly
    I say this from perspective at 245 pounds
    spinning my SC TallBoyC up big dirt mounds
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    he's a poet
    and didn't know it

mtbr member
    JHH
    Your Ode
    to 29er is as good as gold
    But gold it takes
    to get good disc brakes
    and suspension travel
    to take out bumps and shakes.
    But 29ers beckon
    and for good reason I reckon
    They have their attributes
    on rocky bluffs and mountain buttes
    But here on the plains
    with forest trails and meadow lanes
    26 handles these without too many pains.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast