Trail Cubist

Can a Clyde "flow" through rock gardens?

So we all hear about "flow" in mountain biking—it's one of the most beaten-to-death terms...but I admit it's a good term to describe what we all strive for.

"Flowing" on smooth, sinuous trails is easy—anyone can do that. But my question is...can Clydesdales "flow" through technical rock gardens?

I'm talking about the WORST kind of rock gardens—the ones with 8-10" high rocks (basketball-sized rocks) scattered uniformly across the trail with completely random, barely-tire-width spaces between them.

I'm 6'0" and 220lbs...and in my first year of mountain biking. I've really flipped out over the sport and ridden a LOT in the past year. I've gotten to where I can ride some pretty technical trails—nothing crazy, but stuff that includes a lot of rocks like what I described above.

I understand riding technique. I haven't had years to practice it, but I do everything right—I get off the saddle, bend low, elbows out, and use my arms, legs, and body to weight and unweight the bike through the rocks. I'm highly coordinated and have excellent balance.

...and yet, when riding through those really rocky sections, no matter how hard I try to be smooth...no matter how much I do the right things with my body...it still always feels like...

OOF!! UMPH!!! AARGH!! OOOF!! OUCH!! UMPH!!! UGH!! OOF!!

What I'm experiencing is every little impact of my tire onto or off of a rock feels like it has the FULL FORCE OF MY 220LBS behind it...and my whole body feels it.

It doesn't even remotely feel like "flowing."

I've discussed in other threads how Clydes are at a disadvantage when climbing (due to the laws of physics, and the energy required to push greater mass up hills).

I've also seen threads about how much harder we Clydes hit the ground when we fall.

I'm starting to wonder if we Clydes are at a similar disadvantage when riding through nasty rock gardens?

I do see other "skinny runt" riders who appear to "flow" through rock gardens...and I'm starting to think it's because they simply don't feel the impacts that we do.

Any thoughts? Are there any 200+ riders who truly feel NO impacts at all and feel like they can flow gracefully through gnarly rock gardens?

Or is it a matter of just getting used to the punishment? LOL (I'm just wondering if rock gardens will ever get any more "flowy?")

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    It is more about learning how to do it. In fact, a huge part of flowing through a rock garden is momentum to take you over the rocks. Your momentum is much greater than a light guy, and so you should feel less slowing from impacts than a lighter guy.
    With that said, even guys who look like they are flowing, are absorbing lots of shock. It's part of the deal.
    Tip: Let your bike float under you working your arms and legs while you keep your body relatively still.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Tip: Let your bike float under you working your arms and legs while you keep your body relatively still.
    Tip #2: Lower your seat (more, if needed) so that your legs can work better to suspend your body as you allow the bike to track over the terrain.

Trail Cubist
    Lowering your seat more is a good tip—I ride a tall XC bike with my seat in full-high "roadie" position. I've been trying to save to get a Gravity Dropper, because I think that would help a LOT in situations like this.

With that said, even guys who look like they are flowing, are absorbing lots of shock. It's part of the deal.
    This is the real kicker...and honestly, why sometimes (not ALL the time, but sometimes) the term "flow" as applied to rock gardens is a load of bull, LOL. You don't "flow" through a rock garden...you "minimize impacts" as much as possible!

I realize line choice is key (as well as momentum)...but we've all seen those rock gardens where line choice doesn't mean squat, because you WILL have to pound up/over/down a lot of rocks no matter what.

Scott

EDIT: On the subject of momentum...I think that's one of those "you'd need a physics degree and a calculator to figure it out" kind of things...because while it's true Clydes have more momentum to carry them through things...it's ALSO true that Clydes will suffer greater impact force when their tires contact rocks...and also require greater force to lift them up and over the rocks...
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    This is the real kicker...and honestly, why sometimes (not ALL the time, but sometimes) the term "flow" as applied to rock gardens is a load of bull, LOL. You don't "flow" through a rock garden...you "minimize impacts" as much as possible!
    Exactly. I don't know if you ski, but it is a similar situation with moguls. Guys that flow through moguls, if you look at them, hit them head on, but their upper bodies stay relatively still while their legs are pumping and bending and extending furiously to absorb all the hits. A main reason people fail to be good at moguls is they just don't have the physical strength, speed and stamina to do what amounts to high speed squats.
    With biking and rock gardens, the good guys are a lot like those mogul skiers, pumping the arms and legs and keeping the body still.

I realize line choice is key (as well as momentum)...but we've all seen those rock gardens where line choice doesn't mean squat, because you WILL have to pound up/over/down a lot of rocks no matter what.

Scott
    Line is key, but a lot of guys lose too much momentum by trying to zig zag through the rocks. A lot of times, the best route is a straighter one, trying to preserve the mo.

Trail Cubist
    ine is key, but a lot of guys lose too much momentum by trying to zig zag through the rocks. A lot of times, the best route is a straighter one, trying to preserve the mo.
    Very true! I learned a while ago that trying to noodle and pick my way through that stuff usually meant grinding to a halt in the middle of it, LOL.

But on the flip side, though I learned that pedaling straight over/through the stuff is often the best approach...it also results in a lot of hard pounding!

Good points about mogul skiers. (I'm a snowboarder myself, but I've seen plenty of skiers.) But again, that underscores my point that using the term "flow" in situations like that is (IMO) a misnomer...because it's more accurate to use the term "hammer" rather than "flow." (As in, "You've just gotta hammer through those moguls man!" or "You've just gotta hammer through those rock gardens man!"

Keeping your upper body still is a good thing...but it doesn't reduce the brutality on your lower body one bit. (Which is why lots of mogul skiers suffer from chronically blown-out knees...)

Scott

EDIT: Actually, what I really mean to say is that the term "flow" is a euphemism in mountain biking!