mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Calories Burned for Clydes?

So I started tracking my weight and physical activity on thedailyplate.com. Great free website, by the way.

I typically go for a 1 or 2 hour ride that has approximately 200ft and 500ft climbs (mild) on my hardtail.

For my weight (270lbs), the website lists my biking activities with the following calorie burn rates:
    Moderate biking (12-13.9mph) at 962 cals/hour.
    Mountain biking at 1022 cals/hour.

Do these numbers sound reasonable? I swear my 1 hour bike ride is not 962 cals, and my 2 hour ride (75 min road, 45 min mtn) does not burn 1969 calories. I'm thinking more like 450 and 600 cals respectively.

I know the bike, your weight, your pace, and the terrain obviously make a difference, but I just want to know a general ballpark figure. If anyone has any idea on how many calories they burn, I'd love to hear them!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    well those numbers are based on assumptions that you are riding at that pace the whole time.

those numbers same reasonable to me if not a little on the low side. i know in a one hour spin class a person can burn over 1300 calories.

also one other thing to remember that at that point you are still not really burning any fat because of the other energies that the bode stores up. at the 2 hour mark most people have just started to actually burn straight fat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just started using a heart rate monitor about 6 months ago. On my heart rate monitor you plug in all this data about yourself, weight, age, MHR VO2, etc......and then it will monitor calories burned during your workout.
    After I started using the heart rate monitor;
    1. I was amazed at how high my heart rate is while mt biking, even when I try to keep it below 80%, I cannot. I am always between 80 and 90% when mt biking and I live in the flatlands, just fast rolling up and downs, no big climbs.
    2. Even on the road or in the gym it is very difficult for me to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone and I have to constantly focus on it.
    3. Since focusing on my heart rate, I have not lost much weight, but I have lost inches, which is good, that means I am burning fat.
    If you don't already have one, I recommend getting a heart rate monitor, you will be amazed how hard it is to stay in the aerobic zone.

Back to your question;
    I weight 245lbs
    Last sunday's mt bike ride was 3 hrs long and I burnt 2457 calories. No big climbs and I averaged about 8 MPH and did about 25 mph. My avg heart rate was 82%.

This morning I did a 1 hr spin class and went pretty easy to try to keep my heart rate between 65% and 75% and I burnt 770 calories, 50% from Fat.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good post on the HRM... i'm working on getting one... just a matter of $$$... want it mostly for road riding/trainer but also to try and keep myself from going out to hard while i'm MTBing (training for time trial our club has occasional)

as for calories... us big guys burn a lot more calories doing the same thing a smaller guy would do (requires more work to move our carcasses around then if we weighed 1/2 the weight)

THIS thing says cycling at 12-14mph (road) for 1hr... burns...
    1188 for a 300# guy
    594 for a 150# guy
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    good post on the HRM... i'm working on getting one... just a matter of $$$... want it mostly for road riding/trainer but also to try and keep myself from going out to hard while i'm MTBing (training for time trial our club has occasional)

as for calories... us big guys burn a lot more calories doing the same thing a smaller guy would do (requires more work to move our carcasses around then if we weighed 1/2 the weight)

THIS thing says cycling at 12-14mph (road) for 1hr... burns...
    1188 for a 300# guy
    594 for a 150# guy
    Looks to all calculate to be about the same. I don't know why I thought 1 hour of biking was closer to 400 calories for me...

I'm not sure what you mean by 80%? 80% of your target heart rate? Maximum aerobic training heart rate? I generally have my heart rate around 140 when I ride. I have no monitor, but pretty accurate guestimate. My brother bought me a heart rate monitor, so I will be using that starting this Sunday. Woohoo! Not sure where I'm supposed to be, but I'm sure google will help me out with that.

Thanks for your replies! I can now eat more to fill up the calorie void in my day. Sucks when I can't ride; I have to eat like half as much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When I say 80%, I mean 80% of my max heart rate. 80% for me is a heart rate of 148 bpm.

Are you gonna eat that?
    A pound of fat has around 3500 calories, I find that the calorie counts aren't far off in terms of weight lost if I maintain hydration so I'm not just counting water weight.

My 20 mile lunch ride usually burns around 1800 calories and I generally find it loses half a pound or so after I've rehydrated.

I'd say they were pretty close.

Remember that at 280 or so, you supposedly burn 3000 calories just sitting around on your ass all day (and spending a third of that asleep), I don't find anything strange in burning nearly 2000 by working your ass off for an hour and a half.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Man, looks like I really do burn that many calories. I have a hard time controlling my eating (~3000 cals/day), so I guess the answer is to bike for 2 hours daily.

Thanks!

Also, I'm gonna start using my heart rate monitor. I'll post what my heart does.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    biggest reason I want the HRM is to try to keep under my lactate threshold while I ride off road... it's so easy to hammer in one section... then suddenly i have NOTHING to give for the next section... if i can know when i'm hitting the limit i'll know to back off a tad... consistency is good

also will let me push myself harder on the road (HIIT rides) which make for quick but very effective rides.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Good post guys.
    @ Donalson,
    Check out the Garmin 305 Forerunner when you get a chance. I run it on all my rides and runs and you can record a track you laid down. It's also a great trainer for "time trials" as you mentioned you're looking for. I use it for running to pace myself for a certain time or distance. You can also program a virtual partner to let you know if you're falling behind or riding too fast.
    The included software is great. You can track how many miles you've done in a year, etc.
    I would also add that those numbers look to be pretty accurate. The other day I had a good ride at (Fountainhead Park VA) 2 hrs of rough climbs and I burnt up 2,800 cal.
    I'm 6'6" 280 lbs.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    almost got the garmin 305 for christmas... ended up getting a few different toys that I needed more (helmet, hydro discs, better shoes, new cycle computer... yes my mother-in-law spoils me like her own child)

the 305 is still on the list... for about $150 it's a DANG nice tool... little more and you get the cycle cadance/speed sensor (more accurate then the GPS only)... for now i'm eye balling pricepoints $30 HRM... looks like it'll do everything i need for now.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Are you gonna eat that?
    I have the Edge 305 and it's great, but a couple year's in, the battery is starting to play silly buggers.

I did just get a nice chunk of change from the IRS though, maybe a 705 is in order?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    kyoseki... whats it doing? and how old is it? number of guys in the club ride with the higher end garmin units and like em.... i'm just not prepared to drop that kind of coin
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Are you gonna eat that?
    Well it was doing great up until this last week or so.

I took it mountain biking at it kept turning off after 90 seconds or so, like the battery was dead, but when it was plugged in, it said "battery charging complete".

It's odd, I've used it road biking since then and it's been fine, but I make sure to keep it charged, so I don't know if the battery itself is screwed or if it's just the display that says it's charged when it isn't.

One other thing though is that the reset and start/stop buttons (the big ones at the bottom) are kind of stuck, they still work, but they don't really click any more (and as I say, it's a good 2 years old).

I'd happily buy another one, but I have a lot of change burning a hole in my pocket, of course, I did just order a VERY silly gruppo for my new roadbike, so....

mtbr member
    Kyoseki_

Have you tried the hard restart on you Edge 305? I had a problem where my Edge just crashed on me, and after trouble shooting the problem on the Garmin sight I came to find that a 'hard restart' fixed my problem. Maybe that is what your Edge needs as well. This restart button is on the back side of the Edge 305, and will require the end of a pen of paper clip in order to depress the button. I think it needs to be held down for 5-10 seconds before the restart occurs. Consult the Garmin website and see if there is a trouble shooting situation that better fits your specific problem. Don't be affraid to email Garmin about your issue as well. They have a great reputation for customer service.

Cheers,
    Jason

PS. To the OP.....finding proper zones to train in is critical in determining which type of energy you are burning while pedaling. Check out "Joe Freil's Moutain Biker's Training Bible" for more information. If you are really into finding proper zones you can perform a VO2max test and receive more scientific data and information on training from a qualified exercise physiologist. Best of luck with your training, and what ever you do.....keep riding!!

Are you gonna eat that?
    I tried a soft reset a couple of times, but it didn't help, I'll try the hard reset, thanks

Aside from a couple of glitches the thing has been superb, I'm still really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan
    The included software is great. You can track how many miles you've done in a year, etc.
    I would also add that those numbers look to be pretty accurate. The other day I had a good ride at (Fountainhead Park VA) 2 hrs of rough climbs and I burnt up 2,800 cal.
    I'm 6'6" 280 lbs.
    Those numbers reported by the Garmin software are usually way high. I have a powertap on my road bike, and it shows that I'm burning ~600-700 calories for an hour, while the Garmin reports 1000-1100 calories. It's easily 50+% high sometimes.

It's also hard to say how many calories are burned in a ride just by the weight of a person. All things being equal, a 300 pound person going the SAME speed on the SAME terrain will burn significantly more calories (probably not double though), but a really fit 150 pound person riding hard for two hours could easily burn more calories than an unfit 300 pound person riding hard for two hours.

I'd take these on-line numbers w/ a grain of salt and assume that they read high.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    It's also hard to say how many calories are burned in a ride just by the weight of a person. All things being equal, a 300 pound person going the SAME speed on the SAME terrain will burn significantly more calories (probably not double though)
    Power = Force x Distance Moved

Force = Mass x Acceleration

All else being equal, double the Mass = double the Power = double the Calories.

That said, aerodynamic resistance is a huge factor, running double the speed requires 4 times the amount of power, so a guy half our size would have to run literally twice as hard to burn the same amount of Calories and that means if we were riding at 15 mph he'd have to average 21 mph to burn the same amount of calories.

Certainly doable, but easier for us I think

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a HRM/Cyclometer so I can use it riding or in the gym. Mine performs a fitness test, after you enter height, weight, age, and gender. The fitness test determines your max heart rate, and the different zones, based on the resting heart rate.

Wen I ride my mountain bike, on trails (mostly single track) I average about 1000 calories per hour, including the downhill. My average is usually 150-155 which includes rest stops/food breaks. When riding my HR is generally between 160 and 175. When I hit the more difficult sections for me, I can get up to 185. I'm 6'5", 230 lbs and 42 yrs old. I live in Colorado so my rides are at altitude and include a decent amount of elevation gain.

I average the same amount of calorie burn playing racquetball, depending on my opponent.

So, to me, the approximation of 1000 calories per hour sounds about right.