Scottish Rogue

Calling some specialized Clydes

I am just getting back into riding (after a 12 year hiatus) and I dont want to spend a ton of cash. I have looked at the Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers they are just a bit out of my price range (maybe next year).My question is is there anyone here riding a Hardrock who is around 6'2" and 300lbs? Or is there a equal mtb for around $450-$650 range? I will be generally riding hard pack and trails in and around Houston maybe something tougher after I get my stamina back up to par.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated,
    Justin

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    One of my riding buddies got a Fetish Cycles frame on Ebay for $99 and built it up with second-hand parts he got from friends who ride and had upgraded. It got him through the first couple years. Used can be good. A lot of people here in SoCal buy nice bikes and then lose interest before wearing them out.

Scottish Rogue
    I don't know anything about building a bike...like even where to start and I don't have any friends that ride MTB in houston just a friend that races BMX. Is there a web site that could get me pointed in the right direction??

Justin

mtbr member
    If your new I wouldn't recommend building up a bike especially when it comes to proper fitting, Just buy a bike and trim that weight off, You might wanna try out 29ers, I've heard the Diamondback Overdrive starts around $550 +

I don't know much about Hardrock but I heard its strong, Theres also P.1 All Mountain that is suppose to have a stronger frame then Hardrock. Might wanna check that out.

Another option is a Steel frame bike.
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 03-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I'm 6'1" and 300 lbs and just returning to cycling after eight years out. I'm also on a tight budget these days. After much research and visiting far too many local bike shops, I chose to go with a '08 GT Peace 9r Multi from PerformanceBike.com.

I was very seriously considering the Phantom and Cliff29 from BikesDirect, but didn't have the confidence in my mechanical skills to complete the final assembly of either bike. However, many, many riders in this forum have gone that route and done so successfully.

The GT Peace 9r *Multi* is a steel-framed MTB with a *rigid* fork. It also has a longer top tube than many/most 29ers out there. This particular setup works well for me. The frame is heavy relative to aluminum frames and the components are "value-oriented" but solid. At $503 out the door, it was the right bike for my reintroduction to the world of mountainbiking.

Scottish Rogue
    Thanks yall I really appreciate the input.