Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Buying baggy shorts makes me feel fat. WTF.

So this season I'm trying to get a decent pair of baggy shorts to ride in and it's not going very well so far. I'm 6'4", 250 lbs, not fat, but definitely not skinny. But trying to find a pair of decent shorts is hard.

I ordered a pair of ZOIC Helldorado in XXL from Hucknroll for $60. And they arrived. While I could definitely run these around town casually, getting on and off the saddle is very limiting. They are kinda tight. Back they go.

So last night ordered ZOIC Ether in 3XL for $75 from Hucknroll, so hopefully they will be all right.

I just can't wrap my head around mtb sizing. Normally I wear a 36 waist in jeans (Diesel Zatinys and Levis 511s, both of the skinny and fitted variety), along with the same size in summer khaki shorts from AE. Based on the 3XL of Zoic, that puts me at a 44+ waist size. WTF.

Edit: And luckily, Hucknroll just pricematched them to $49.98 (Pricepoint.com).
    Last edited by eurospek; 03-23-2011 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Levi, Diesel et al are lying to you about waste sizes...
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Doubt it, all my gym shorts, swim trunks, and old school adidas track pants are XL or even L depending on company and fit. So that translates to a 36-38 waist.
    Baffled by the huge difference in sizing. No standards as it appears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm a comfortable 34 in Levis, and a slightly snug 34 or slightly loose 36 in Fox shorts. A 38 in Fox might suit you well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a 34.5" and have ordered (2) pairs of Zoics in XL. The first pair fit very nice, but the second pair (different color) are kinda tight on the thighs .....and mine are skinny
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/206...rado-Short.htm
    Definitely not baggy shorts, but very good quality and lightweight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93
    I'm a 34.5" and have ordered (2) pairs of Zoics in XL. The first pair fit very nice, but the second pair (different color) are kinda tight on the thighs .....and mine are skinny
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/206...rado-Short.htm
    Definitely not baggy shorts, but very good quality and lightweight
    That's what I had, except in graphite color with green accents. The short itself looks great and looks to be of great quality, and yes they are of the "fitted" type and not baggy per say, but I consider everything but spandex to be "baggy". Either way, if they offered the Helldorado model in a 3XL, I would jump on it.

I Void Waranties
    maybe try some roadie shorts and just wear some board-shorts with a tighter cut around your crotch area.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Funny post for me... I wear XXL in any not fitted short (meaning no waste size like 36, 38, etc)... I ordered a pair of Fox XXL labeled to fit 40-44 (which would be correct) and they wouldn't go past my knees!!! Now as fat as I am, I am not 44" at my KNEES!!!!! 44" jeans are loose on me in fact (can't wear them without a belt!)... I sent those back and ordered a pair of 42-44 spandex to wear under shorts and when they got to me, they were actually loose... WTF?!? I kept them because a little loose is better than cutting circulation off...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you all. I have a 35'' waist, but have tree trunk legs and a fat ol' ghetto booty. Buying shorts and pants is a nightmare. I just bought a pair of Northface Outbound shorts from ***** Sporting Goods, and had to buy a 40''. Bottom line, they are f-ing huge in the waste, but have a belt that will sinch them up. Absolutely only thing I can find that are lightweight and have some give in the material. Just going to have to buy a base layer with a chamois built in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Doubt it, all my gym shorts, swim trunks, and old school adidas track pants are XL or even L depending on company and fit. So that translates to a 36-38 waist.
    Baffled by the huge difference in sizing. No standards as it appears.
    Measure your waist size. That's what it is not what any clothes label tells you. All clothes manufacturers have been inching up the sizing for years. Before I lost weight, I easily wore 38" in jeans and 36-38 in shorts. At that time, I got measured for a tux and my waist was actually 42". That gave me the incentive to get back on the bike.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I gave up on anything from Fox ever fitting correctly. Hoss is on target (XL in their shorts). Endura is also pretty much on target (XXL in theirs). That's the trouble with buying online. One manufacturer's XL is a true 38-40, while another's is barely a 36. The best thing to do is not to cheap it out, but go in and try on some in the store, but a few pairs. Then you'll have an idea how each brand fits, and you'll be able to order online without running into trouble.

Back in the saddle
    This whole thread is why I am still wearing spandex. My fat butt in spandex is nothing nice to behold, but I'm comfortable and I have never been able to find a pair of baggies that fit. I have decided to just find some good, sturdy cargo-type shorts and wear my lycra under. Bummer. I can find spandex in 3 sizes larger than what I need, but not modest, baggy shorts. Seems backwards to me.

Underskilled
    I like Fox shorts, my baggies semi stretchy and snug under the crotch.

Could be a brand to look out for.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I wear lycra with chamois underneath a pair of hiking shorts from REI.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i can uncomfortably fit in 38s. got some titec dh shorts in 38, cant even get em on. oh well. lycra under basketball shorts for me.

Si vales, valeo.
    I haven't had that much of a problem with fitting shorts myself, as I typically wear a size 34 jean and 36 Fox shorts.
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Wow I thought i was the only one. I normally wear an XL in a majority of shorts, and bought a pair of Oakley MTB shorts and cant even button the m'fers lol. Anyone that finds a decent fitting pair of shorts let us know!

mtbr member
    Just bought a pair of these:
    Hoss Ponderosa Shorts

These are going for 39.99 at PricePoint Got a pair of XXL which are 39-42. I would say my waist is a 42" and they are a tiny bit to tight in the waist. These are however perfect if you are smaller because it has a plastic snap for a belt, and also has elastic waist band. It even has the rubber coated leg to keep them down. Liked them so much I bought another pair. Has padded crotch and the whole nine yards. If anyone wants some specific pictures let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm ~ your size. I'm 6-5, between 230-250 with real big thighs. I'd suggest XL Trek Trail Riders. Pretty well priced. Besides riding, I spin in them then hit the hot tub 2x a week. They're 2 years old and holding up super

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyvroom
    Hoss Ponderosa Shorts

These are going for 39.99 at PricePoint Got a pair of XXL which are 39-42. I would say my waist is a 42" and they are a tiny bit to tight in the waist. These are however perfect if you are smaller because it has a plastic snap for a belt, and also has elastic waist band. It even has the rubber coated leg to keep them down. Liked them so much I bought another pair. Has padded crotch and the whole nine yards. If anyone wants some specific pictures let me know.
    Dude those are sick Shorts, I bought a pair of Performance baggies @ Performance bikes
    and they are pretty comfortable, im a 42-44 in nonelastic shorts ie dickies or red cap.
    Do they have the strechie in the waist line?. If so im buying a pair of the grey Camo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alien4fish
    Dude those are sick Shorts, I bought a pair of Performance baggies @ Performance bikes
    and they are pretty comfortable, im a 42-44 in nonelastic shorts ie dickies or red cap.
    Do they have the strechie in the waist line?. If so im buying a pair of the grey Camo
    Yeah they have elastic in the waist line, but like I said, I wear a 42 normally and they are a bit tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyvroom
    Hoss Ponderosa Shorts

I'll give those a try if the ZOICs won't fit. I'll know Wednesday lol.

mtbr member
    Shorts came in. Tried them on, l like them, but don't love them. Definitely black > graphite in terms of color. Fit is decent, waist size is good too, almost too loose without adjusting the side velcro straps. Removable chamois is a plus. Definitely worth the $50 bucks I'd say.

So anyway, I ordered some 2011 model Fox Ranger shorts (black and graphite colors in 38, 40, and 42 sizes) just to compare the fit and style. They were $20 more too from Hucknroll.com.

I'm definitely going to keep either the ZOIC or Fox shorts. I've given up on trying to find the perfect baggy short for this season.

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Shorts came in. Tried them on, l like them, but don't love them. Definitely black > graphite in terms of color. Fit is decent, waist size is good too, almost too loose without adjusting the side velcro straps. Removable chamois is a plus. Definitely worth the $50 bucks I'd say.

So anyway, I ordered some 2011 model Fox Ranger shorts (black and graphite colors in 38, 40, and 42 sizes) just to compare the fit and style. They were $20 more too from Hucknroll.com.

I'm definitely going to keep either the ZOIC or Fox shorts. I've given up on trying to find the perfect baggy short for this season.
    ill take the 38' fox if they dont work for ya and the price is right...what model are they?
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkeyboozter
    ill take the 38' fox if they dont work for ya and the price is right...what model are they?

They will be going right back to Hucknroll.com for a full refund if they don't fit. And they are Fox Ranger shorts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast