Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: big_mountain_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,245

    Butt pain getting worse after every ride.

    My super clyde butt is hurting more and more after every ride. I wear two pairs of padded shorts when riding, one spandex padded bib and a pair of padded baggy shorts on top. I've been riding a few times a week for the past couple months, probably 10 hours or so of riding a week.

    The pain is mainly in the inner "crack" area so I'm thinking my saddle is prolly a little narrow, even when I was a skinny chap my derrière was always relatively wide. I am currently riding the saddle that came with my bike, a WTB Pure V Race.

    After reading all the glowing reviews of the Brooks B-17 I really want to buy one, especially since the only negative feedback I saw regarding the comfort of this saddle was from people with narrower sit bones. Although the 19th century look will probably clash with 5" AM bike, I'm not too concerned.

    Any ideas of something else I should try? I don't know if I should just continue riding with my current saddle even though the pain is getting worse or try out something new.

  2. #2
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Some thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    My super clyde butt is hurting more and more after every ride. I wear two pairs of padded shorts when riding, one spandex padded bib and a pair of padded baggy shorts on top. I've been riding a few times a week for the past couple months, probably 10 hours or so of riding a week.

    The pain is mainly in the inner "crack" area so I'm thinking my saddle is prolly a little narrow, even when I was a skinny chap my derrière was always relatively wide. I am currently riding the saddle that came with my bike, a WTB Pure V Race.

    After reading all the glowing reviews of the Brooks B-17 I really want to buy one, especially since the only negative feedback I saw regarding the comfort of this saddle was from people with narrower sit bones. Although the 19th century look will probably clash with 5" AM bike, I'm not too concerned.

    Any ideas of something else I should try? I don't know if I should just continue riding with my current saddle even though the pain is getting worse or try out something new.
    The B 17 is a really sweet saddle. But it takes a loooong time to break in. A year, maybe longer.

    Why two pads? That may be part of the issue. The other part may just be the seat. Seats are like pedals, tires, shifters and frame: The "best" one is the one that fits you.

    It's hard to say what's "best" because what I swear by may be the worst component you've ever ridden.

    I would try another, cheaper seat (with a quicker break in period) before a Brooks. But if you're set up a Brooks, color me green with envy. They're supposed to be the fat cat's ass.

    Ken

  3. #3
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    First off...too much of a good thing is bad. You have too much padding which will actually cause pain...drop the double padded shorts action immediately.

    Your on the right track as far as width goes though. I would suggest stopping by a Specialized dealer and get fitted using their saddle fitting system. They actually make saddles in three different widths for most models. You may or may not choose to purchase a Specialized saddle (which will probably look more in place on your bike), but at least you'll know for sure how wide your sit bones are.

  4. #4
    Noob
    Reputation: Downhillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    141
    That's still surprising with the WTB Pure V Race... I'd look at the amount of padding your sporting before dropping the cash for a Brooks.
    MTB Blog

    There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: big_mountain_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,245
    I wear two pairs of padded shorts because each one serves a purpose.

    The spandex bib short is used because it covers my back completely and keeps the pads in place so I don't moon people behind me when my other shorts sag down a little. The other padded baggy shorts are used because no one wants to see a super clyde in a spandex bib.

    I can swap the padded baggies for a pair of thin basketball shorts and see if that helps. I had a specialized BG saddle on my last bike and I never really had too much pain with it even when wearing both padded shorts. Although now I'm definitely spending more time on the saddle.

  6. #6
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    The right answer...

    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    I wear two pairs of padded shorts because each one serves a purpose.

    The spandex bib short is used because it covers my back completely and keeps the pads in place so I don't moon people behind me when my other shorts sag down a little. The other padded baggy shorts are used because no one wants to see a super clyde in a spandex bib.

    I can swap the padded baggies for a pair of thin basketball shorts and see if that helps. I had a specialized BG saddle on my last bike and I never really had too much pain with it even when wearing both padded shorts. Although now I'm definitely spending more time on the saddle.

    Wear the bibs and non chamios shorts.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,312
    Terry Liberator saddle........ more cushion for the pushin.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 3034's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    749
    I had a a similar problem, it was solved with a wider seat.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bongo_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    ...The B 17 is a really sweet saddle. But it takes a loooong time to break in. A year, maybe longer....
    WTF?!? you've been talking to the wrong people. mine was great from the start, maybe my favorite saddle ever when it was brand new. broke in pretty good after couple weeks. who in the world told you years and why would anyone do that?

    the whole break in thing is WAY overrated. it's not a big deal.

    I had a koobi before that and it was pretty good, my second favorite.

    bb

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    83
    I am in the same boat, plan on getting a new seat next weekend, I am sure that will help a ton.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Ok welcome to the saddle dilema

    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    My super clyde butt is hurting more and more after every ride. I wear two pairs of padded shorts when riding, one spandex padded bib and a pair of padded baggy shorts on top. I've been riding a few times a week for the past couple months, probably 10 hours or so of riding a week.

    The pain is mainly in the inner "crack" area so I'm thinking my saddle is prolly a little narrow, even when I was a skinny chap my derrière was always relatively wide. I am currently riding the saddle that came with my bike, a WTB Pure V Race.

    After reading all the glowing reviews of the Brooks B-17 I really want to buy one, especially since the only negative feedback I saw regarding the comfort of this saddle was from people with narrower sit bones. Although the 19th century look will probably clash with 5" AM bike, I'm not too concerned.

    Any ideas of something else I should try? I don't know if I should just continue riding with my current saddle even though the pain is getting worse or try out something new.

    Saddles are kind of a funny thing. First, more padding does not equal comfort. That is a myth. After 10 years of riding, the most comfortable saddle for me is the selle italia SLR 135g. Almost no pading and thin like a paper. I can sit on that saddle for 5 hrs without pain. I can also ride it without chamois because my sit bones sit perfectly on it.

    I tried the WTB's saddles and can not find a comfortable position. I am 6'2" 185lbs.

    Here is my saddle journey transformation:
    1997 - Coda saddle that came with my F400 cannondale - ouch!!

    2000 - Serfas vado arc - better

    2002 - Serfas vado kevlar

    2003 - Fizik Pave - Prostate buster!!

    2004 - Back to the serfas thinking this my last option

    2004.5 - Tried Koobi Enduro - this one I recommend for your body type but it was too wide for me. May be this is perfect for you. This is a great saddle.

    2005 - Tried my friends SLR thinking OMG that seat is like paper and surprise surprise, super comfortable

    2006 - tried Selle Italia Flite - Ok but went back to the slr 135g.

    I have SLR's on all my bikes including roadbikes


    So I recommend that you go to bike shops and try different saddles. The best way is to try other people's bikes.

    Another trick is to put vaseline on your sit bones. Ghey, but it works wonders, specially for super long rides....
    Sit and spin my ass...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    A few things that you may have missed inbetween the cracks.
    First, your seat tube height. If it's too high this will cause your hips to rock and will put undue pressure on your sit bones. It will also cause back pain and make your hips feel 89 years old. Get this dialed in or you will continue to suffer. Try Assoss creme.

    The wtb pure saddle is the most comfortable one I've owned. It's hard with saddles because you can't test them out usually.
    Butt blessings
    NCG

  13. #13
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,111

    Clyde saddles

    At 6'7", 240 #, the problem I keep running into is not comfort, but durability. I just broke my third saddle of the season on a ride this morning. I agree with previous posts ... we all have a different comfort zone with saddles (I have found that narrow and less padding is where it's at for me). Any suggestions on a durable saddle for larger riders? I have found that Ti rails are much too weak ... I'll bend them in under 15-20 miles. Cromolly rails are more rigid, but I have problems pulling them out of the molded plastic base if the right force is applied while crashing. (Yeah, yeah ..."just stop crashing" ... I'm just not there yet). Any suggestions?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    131

    New Brooks User

    I recently bought a Brooks B-17 Ti Special which is (I think) the widest saddle they make. It is really comfortable on the sit bones however it seems to be very short.

    This means the nose of the saddle does finishes just behind the 'boys'. This means no more numb nuts but I am finding a bit of pain on longer rides through pressure from the front of the saddle on the 'bones' between the 'front' and the 'back.

    I have done approximately 200 miles o the new saddle and am still fine tuning the position to minimise the discomfort I have.

    I hope this helps.

  15. #15
    Black Sheep rising
    Reputation: utabintarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    888
    https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/11322/

    Me: 6'3", 280 lbs.

    I beat the hell out of this saddle (and my Section 29) and it keeps my ass happy.

    Not as sexy as others, but I've kinda gotten past that whole impressing others thing.
    Let the market decide!

    N42.58 W83.06

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    Wow!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo
    https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/11322/

    Me: 6'3", 280 lbs.

    I beat the hell out of this saddle (and my Section 29) and it keeps my ass happy.

    Not as sexy as others, but I've kinda gotten past that whole impressing others thing.
    Is that a couch? Just kidding, sit on what makes you happy... The important thing is that you get out and ride.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  17. #17
    Black Sheep rising
    Reputation: utabintarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Is that a couch? Just kidding, sit on what makes you happy... The important thing is that you get out and ride.
    Almost as comfy as my Lazy Boy, except for the no-place-to-store-the-remote thing.
    Let the market decide!

    N42.58 W83.06

  18. #18
    Tá mé ar meisce.
    Reputation: BeerCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    610
    This is the best saddle I have found. Super comfortable. I have used it on many 5+ hour rides with no issues. I did have one bend once (I have 2) but it was replaced no questions asked.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bongo_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    This is the best saddle I have found. Super comfortable. I have used it on many 5+ hour rides with no issues. I did have one bend once (I have 2) but it was replaced no questions asked.
    what the?!? I'm intrigued...

    bb

  20. #20
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,111
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9699

    This is the saddle I have upgraded too, very comfortable and has a vent which airs and takes a bit of pressure off important areas. It flexs heavily (probably due to my 240lbs) which makes it very comfortable.

    Yesterday while practising 'stoppies' on my bike I fell off my peddles at the worst point.
    The back wheel fell to the ground leaving only air resistance to slow my fall. I fell 2' landing on the saddle with my feet in the air.
    It didn't hurt a bit!!!
    What better recomendation can you get!

  21. #21
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985

    Good job! Check out I-Beam saddles

    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    At 6'7", 240 #, the problem I keep running into is not comfort, but durability. I just broke my third saddle of the season on a ride this morning. I agree with previous posts ... we all have a different comfort zone with saddles (I have found that narrow and less padding is where it's at for me). Any suggestions on a durable saddle for larger riders? I have found that Ti rails are much too weak ... I'll bend them in under 15-20 miles. Cromolly rails are more rigid, but I have problems pulling them out of the molded plastic base if the right force is applied while crashing. (Yeah, yeah ..."just stop crashing" ... I'm just not there yet). Any suggestions?
    Your one of those saddle breakers...I worked in shops a lot of years, and we always had a few. Have you checked out the SDG I-Beam saddles and seatposts? Seems like a possible solution to saddle breaking guy syndrome.


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mstaszew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59
    As others said, it's all personal preference, but I don't wear padded shorts, just some cheapo basketball shorts that I found at Wal-Mart. The best seat that I have found so far is the Terry Fly. It's a bit over priced IMO, but you can find them on sale at Performance for ~$80. I tried an E3 Form at the recommendation of a LBS employee and on the first ride the plastic disintegrated from where it connects to the rails on the horn and I had to use a tire tube to tie the saddle to the rails to limp back to the parking lot. Maybe it was a bad saddle and not a good representation of the model as a whole, but I won't get another one just in case. The fly has been very comfortable, has a cutout in the center for your important parts, and has a surprisingly nice amount of cushion considering it has a lower weight. Its not very wide so if your hip bones require a wider saddle then this may not be the one for you.

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Saddle/product_67141.shtml

  23. #23
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,111
    Just a small update, just found out my seatpost bent on the landing =-(
    Well I should look on the brightside that nothing else did =-)

  24. #24
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    I started out with a Speccy BG saddle and switched to a WTB. It was fine at first, but as I ride more I find it more and more uncomfortable. I'm going to switch back to a Speccy or perhaps a Selle. More padding does not equal better; my Speccy had less padding yet it was more comfortable . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •