mtbr member

Bullet "Proof" Bottom Bracket and Crankset

Hey all...some background. I am a 250+ lbs, 6'5" tall rider that loves to ride XC as well as just around town.....my question is what is the best frame/bike for me. I currently own a '03 Specialized Hardrock Pro which I have mildly customized...the frame seems to be strong enough for me but components also seem to fail at a sooner than normal rate......I would love to find out what all the "BIG" riders out there would recommend.....(FYI...I used to build MT bikes back in the early 80's in California..but I have been out of the scene for at least 14 years due to "military commitments")

I will be moving to Hawaii in the next year and would like to start to really bomb down some trails while stationed there.....I feel my current bike could handle a 5 foot drop with 250+ lbs of rider on her.....Thoughts????

The question is what is the best BB and crank for my bike and size? Lately my BB has started to devevlop a consistent "tick" at every revolution under heavy load (e.g. quick starts or climbs...) I am thinking about a Truvativ Howitzer with a Hussefelt crank...

Thanks in advance!!
    Don't Like it? Tough...Deal with It.
    Besides...What is the Blast Radius of an EXCUSE?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't think you need a new crank or anything that extreme, just new bottom-bracket bearings or maybe rings.

The ticking could be bearings worn out, bearing race needing cleaning/reinstallation, or a chain ring bolt coming loose (so removing, cleaing, and reinstalling may fix it all).

If you're dead set on a new crank, there's lots of options.

But,

5 ft drops of a clyde on a Hardrock Pro? Man, I hope you land gently. I fear for your frame material.

mtbr member
    bear...you da man. Thanks. I was gunning for a Saint set up. I have done a 3 footer on the current bike...I bidding on several frames on Ebay to expand on my "drop" opportunities.

Thanks
    Don't Like it? Tough...Deal with It.
    Besides...What is the Blast Radius of an EXCUSE?

Making fat cool since '71
    A "tick" could be several things. Bearings? Maybe, but they don't typically "tick" on a regular basis. They grind or freeze or "sqeal" perhaps. Often...it's a chain or ring rubbing the front derailleur due to a minor misalignment of the derailleur or a minor bend of a ring (maybe only a tooth or two sometimes). Also things can be aligned quite rightly and if things are cross-shifted (think small cog front/small cogs rear) or just the opposite. Of course...it could be a shot BB as well. It's hard to say without looking at it in person, but based on "tick" my first or second or third guesses would not be bearings.

I run "old skool" square tapers on my rigid SS bike (RaceFace) and Truvativ "Team" cranks on my RFX. I've had no complaints from them on 6' to trannies or "accidental 8' to "holy shite" dismounts of logs onto funky terrain. BTW, I'm 6'3" @ 250-260.

5' to tranny is one thing. 5' to flat...a whole other ball of bent spokes in my opinion.

FWIW: lots of "larger" folks around here ride and love the Saint stuff. I've been running Truvativ with no complaints except for the low end stuff...

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

You know, for kids
    going for the Truvativ Hussefelt/Howitzer XR M12 combo myself. I'll be putting them on my new bike soon.