mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Building a new bike from scratch and would love advice!

Hi all; I'm a 250# clyde and trying to bike to lose weight. I love riding - it's as though I've re-learned why I loved it as a child. Anyways, I need a bulletproof bike that I can ride a LOT.

I want it reliable and flexible. I'm not a mountain biker as I'm not in good enough shape but I do love riding around on our local trails. The vast majority of my riding will be errands and pseudo-commuting (I work from home but get out a bit.) So almost all riding on street or the double-wide sidewalks we have here. I want to build the bike from scratch with parts I choose so it's EXACTLY what I want in every aspect.

I've done a ton of reading and researching and put together an initial list of parts for my bike. This is NOT EVERYTHING, it's just what I've looked up thus far. With few exceptions, I'm quite open to changing anything and would love any and all suggestions!

These prices are just what I pulled from the links. I've not yet tried bargin shopping to do better so I know many things will be cheaper elsewhere. Additionally, there are some things that might not work together. I've tried to be careful but I'm sure I've made mistakes. Without further ado, here is the list as it stands:

Frame
    Surly Troll - $495.00
    Origin8 Pro Threadless Headset - 1-1/8", Black - $23.38

Drive Train - Missing crankset, shifter, etc.
    N360 CVT Hub - $349.91
    Redline Alloy Chain Tensioners 3/8 - $11.88
    KMC Z30NP Chain 5/6 Speed 1/2" x 3/32" - $9.30
    Shimano PD-M324 Clipless/Clip Pedals - $46.47

Wheels - Missing spokes
    Surly Disc Front Hub QR 36h Black - $75.00
    Sun Rhyno Lite 26" x 1.75" 36 hole, presta valve - $27.20 x 2 = $54.40
    Marathon Plus 26" x 1.75" - $41.59 x 2 = $83.18
    Slime Smart Tube - $8.88 x 2 = $17.76

Brakes
    Avid BB7 Break Assembly 203mm rotor - $60.28 x 2 = $120.56
    Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Lever - $14.25 x 2 = $28.50
    Avenir Brake Cable - teflon coated - $3.35 x 2 = $6.70
    Brake Ferrules - $6.50

Accessories - Missing lights/reflectors
    Surly Nice Rack, Rear (Black), Cromoly, 26"-29" - $136.00
    Planet Bike Cascadia Fenders - $38.41
    Planet Bike ARS Saddle - $19.99
    Thudbuster 27.2mm - $119.99

Tools/Assorted Stuff
    Topeak Alien II Multitool - $29.62
    Road Morph Pump - $27.91
    Pearl Izumi Men's Select Glove - $17.15

Total price thus far? $~1720 I figured I'd be at about $2k so I'm on track still.

I'd love feedback on anything I've listed but I'm particularly interested in the rim/tire choice as I agonized over that a lot. I'm not positive that rim and tire pair will work. I'm still looking for absolutely flat-proof tires for my fat butt and lots of research showed people were very happy with the Rhyno Lite. I found other rims I liked better but they seemed too thin.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Mike

Former Bike Wrench
    A few comments

-Consider a Karate Monkey over a Troll...700c/29" wheels and tires will roll faster and smoother both on and off road.

-Rhyno Lite rims also come in 29er version and 36 spoke, use double butted spokes such as Wheelsmith DB14 or DT Competitions.

-203mm rotors are way overkill, especially on the rear where you only get about 20% of your braking power. I rode at 230# plus gear and a 180mm front and 160mm rear will be more than sufficient with the Avid BB7 brakes. If you insist on a 203mm, then use that up front but stick with a a max 180mm in back...you'll never need more.

-Clipless pedals that are only one side and platform on the other suck, suck, suck...if you want something that you can ride clipless and as a platform...nothing beats the Crank Bros Mallet

-Not sure about a Thudbuster for your weight, but with a nice steel frame and the fact your on the road...not really needed.

-Invest in quality shorts...Aerotech has a great selection for the big boys.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    A few comments

-Consider a Karate Monkey over a Troll...700c/29" wheels and tires will roll faster and smoother both on and off road.
    Yah...Consider the new Surly Ogre:
    Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes

The Ogre is the big 'n' burly lovechild of the Troll and the Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I love the Ogre but it's not going to be available until end of December according to Surly (I called em.) With that said, I'm ok with the 26" wheels for commuting. The bike I use now has them and it doesn't bother me. I also love that they are indestructible.

Great suggestions on everything else. I'll update the list appropriately. Thanks!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by webgeek View Post
    I love the Ogre but it's not going to be available until end of December according to Surly (I called em.) With that said, I'm ok with the 26" wheels for commuting. The bike I use now has them and it doesn't bother me. I also love that they are indestructible.

Great suggestions on everything else. I'll update the list appropriately. Thanks!

-Mike
    Oh good that you called. And "December" might well mean "February". I don't know about how it goes with Surly, but new products are often delayed by a few months.

ballbuster
    I might suggest skipping the NuVinci hub. I would be surprised if it holds up to low gears with a big rider for trail riding. Plus, it's expensive, heavy and not very efficient.

... and, 250# is not that heavy, especially if you're just doing light trail riding. I run 214 these days, and I was up to 225 at one point, and I run lightweight cross country parts, and even plow through rough stuff all the time. I rarely ever bend or break stuff.

Does JensonUSA still have LX cranks for $89? I had a set, and they were great. Only like 100g heavier than XTRs and you can get 6 sets of LXs for the price of XTRs. Bullet proof strength and stiffness, easy to service if needed, BBs are cheap if you need to replace them in the future.

I think Kona makes a bike called the Hoss, set up with beefier parts for clydes. Might be worth looking at.

*edit*

Cool! They still have LX cranks.

Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset at JensonUSA.com

Former Bike Wrench
    The Kona Hoss was discontinued for the 2010 model year...

100+ wheel-build club
    Surly Ogre COMPLETE. A perfect all-around machine. A paint color one can live with. Building-up a bike piece by piece only makes sense on performance machines and costs the premium. Buy, ride, replace bits as necessary. (Upgrade it with Shimano XT crank).
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

100+ wheel-build club
    PS-DT TK540. A VERY nice 9'er rim.

mtbr member
    I'll second what the other guy said about brakes. You wont find many rigid forks that are rated for 203mm rotors, plus I wouldnt trust a QR at those kind of brake torque levels.

Personally I'd got for a cheap Cane Creek S3 (I think now its the 40) headset. Sealed bearings and much smoother than a cheaper headset and not any worse than a nicer headset. Great value.

I'd ditch the Nuvinci as well, you'll HAVE to go with a custom wheel then. Derailleurs are very easy to set up.

Thudbuster is expensive but overkill for townie riding. You'll get used to the bumps and you'd be surprised what fatter tires and a steel frame will absorb.

The biggest thing I would recommend is try to find a local community bike shop, cooperative, or recyclery in town so you can use their tools to build your bike. They should have the cables and housing as well.

100+ wheel-build club
    I have nothing but good things to say about all the MANY Cane Creek headsets I have used. SUPER value. How do you feel about leather saddles with springs? Also, carbon seat posts have good shock absorbing quality (if not to tremendously over-sized; ie 31.6).

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat as you. 250 lbs, down from 275, and just starting to ride again.
    I have both the Crank Bros. Mallets and Candy pedals And I much prefer the Candies. I find they are easier to get in and out of. I also found a Ritchey WCS headset for $25ish so you might want to check that out.

100+ wheel-build club
    Start taking a bunch of decaffeinated green tea supplements. A great thermogenic and will, along with some good long rides, effectively burn off more of the weight. Its a great trick in the quest to be ones fastest. I have to disagree a out the Ritchey headsets though-nothing but trouble. I bought a couple last year for repairs and there was play in the race and cup interface. A new headset with wiggle?! Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny settle View Post
    I have nothing but good things to say about all the MANY Cane Creek headsets I have used. SUPER value. How do you feel about leather saddles with springs? Also, carbon seat posts have good shock absorbing quality (if not to tremendously over-sized; ie 31.6).
    Big guys dont need carbon. Ever. If you need shock absorbing anything, think about whether you're unweighting the saddle over bumps. Get out of the saddle over bumps or at least put more weight on your feet and less on the saddle.

Get a Thomson, look at it again in 10 years.

Thomson seatposts and stems and Cane Creek headsets are the only parts that will be on every single bike of mine. No reason for anything nicer unless you're a weight weenie and we're in the clydes forum so there shouldnt be any weight weenies in here.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Big guys dont need carbon. Ever. If you need shock absorbing anything, think about whether you're unweighting the saddle over bumps. Get out of the saddle over bumps or at least put more weight on your feet and less on the saddle.

Get a Thomson, look at it again in 10 years.

Thomson seatposts and stems and Cane Creek headsets are the only parts that will be on every single bike of mine. No reason for anything nicer unless you're a weight weenie and we're in the clydes forum so there shouldnt be any weight weenies in here.
    True, true but lets not forget to give props to Mavic, DT, Race Face and Easton. I have SIX Easton posts. Three of them are carbon EC70's because they have such shock absorbing qualities. Every now and then, especially on the
    road bike, you're gonna take a "shot". "I didn't see that crack when...THWAKK"! Times like these when its nice to have that carbon-post give.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny settle View Post
    Start taking a bunch of decaffeinated green tea supplements. A great thermogenic and will, along with some good long rides, effectively burn off more of the weight. Its a great trick in the quest to be ones fastest. I have to disagree a out the Ritchey headsets though-nothing but trouble. I bought a couple last year for repairs and there was play in the race and cup interface. A new headset with wiggle?! Cane Creek.

I haven't put mine in yet, thanks for the heads up.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I haven't put mine in yet, thanks for the heads up.
    I am certain that Ritchey is making fine high-end headsets, all I'm saying is that, from experience, the low-end stuff I have seen is not any good, whereas Cane Creek makes excellent product throughout the price/quality spectrum. When one finds something they like...stay with it! Some companies have proven to us all through many seasons that they consistently produce reliable quality. Thompson. Mavic, Michelin, Easton, Brooks, Race Face, Shimano, DT, Deda, ..............! Thank the lord for the GOOD STUFF!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am 6'2 280 just getting back into biking. I am the kinda guy that probably will never be below 215or 220 again. I am not in bad shape but my size makes me wounder about what kind of abuse I can put CC hardtail through. I have mountain biked before but I came from a BMX background. I just recently rode the new trails at cuyuna in Crosby MN, and had a blast on a rental rocky mountain, with all that said I would like some advice on what would be the best bike for my weight for around 1500.00. Please keep in mind I am hard on things and would like something that will last and is upgradeable.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you want hub gears, go with an Alfine 8 or a Rohloff. They are the only two with solid reliability, and the rohloff is the better of the two in this regard. The Alfine is cheap and widely available though.

Drew
    occasional cyclist