mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Broken Wheels and spokes...HELP!!

ok, i am a good 250 and i ride a 06 stock specialized rockhopper. everything is great except for the fact the in the past two rides, i have broken 2 spokes without jumping or anything too bad. this latest break was from going through a rock garden and then downhill at a bunny hill steep slope....IF that. Idk if its me or the wheels. is there anything i can do to improve my stock wheels so they dont break so easily? thanks for the help

Mitch

Freshly Fujified

It's probably the wheels

I would take the bike back to the LBS and have them replace the broken spokes and ask that they go over the wheelset with a fine tooth comb. Make sure the tension is correct on the spokes and that the wheels are dished properly and trued. If this keeps happening after these measures are taken, then it's just the fact that it's a wheelset not made for your weight or for more aggressive riding. Not uncommon for us larger folks to find that stock wheelsets on low end bikes just don't hold up to our weight. Take it from someone who's been there before.

Best wishes,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Fat, but working on it...
    Could be the wheels just aren't strong enough for you. I'm in the same boat. I love looking at the bikes with the Mavic Crossmax's on them and other high end wheelsets, but I know they won't last under me. Your LBS may be able to fix it and you'll be fine, but you may need to bite the bullet and upgrade the wheels. A set of Azonic Outlaws should do you nicely...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Things to try...

I don't know you budget - so a variety

1) Have spokes tensioned properly. This may work if the wheelset was poorly built.
    2) Replace spokes with heavier gauge spokes. Probabaly, this will work, but if the rest of the wheelset is carp it could be a "pearls to swine" repair. (not too expensive though)
    3) New stronger wheelset. (most expensive)
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Anytime. Anywhere.

Spokes

This could be poor quality spokes, a poor build, or combo of both. My freind had the same problem until the spokes were replaced. What spokes, rims, nipples do you have now?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here are the specs from the specialized site:

FRONT HUB Specialized, 32h double sealed w/alloy QR

REAR HUB Joy-Tech cassette, polished races and double sealed, 32h

SPOKES 1.8mm, stainless w/brass nipples

RIMS SUN CR-18, 26", 32h, double walled w/machined sidewalls, eyelets

Anytime. Anywhere.

Spokes?

Your spokes may not be very good quality on that wheelset. See if you can get your lbs to replace them if it happens again. Twice could be a couple of bad spokes, 3 is a definate pattern and would lead me to believe that they are not up to the task.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Are you gonna eat that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 300 lbs, 6'4" and ride a Specialized Hardrock Comp (04). I do ride trails but no major jumps. I still expect that with my weight and strenght, I put the bike under some strain.
    Within a few weeks of buying the bike the stock spokes started to break a few at a time. My lbs was replacing them under the warrantee but it was a pain. They got Specialized to replace the rear wheel with a 36 spoke, Rynolite rim, shimano hub that they said would take care of the problem. If did for a while. After a few months I started blowing those spokes as well - not as fast but still breaking them on the rear wheel (drive side) often enough to cause down time.
    I got some suggestions but no assurances. One bike shop wanted to build me a new wheel with a tande hub and 48 spokes. One wants to sell me Mavic CrossLands. One wants to build a wheel with 36 sopkes that are soldered at the crossover. Each lbs says thier soilution will last forever. I went online and Lyle Strickland from Spin Lite Cycling (www.spinlitecycling.com) seemed to have the best idea answer: He said:

"I personally think that what you need is a stronger rim than the RynoLite. I would suggest the Velocity Cliff Hanger rim with 36 spokes, The hub I would use is the White Industries Rear Disc Jockey hub, it is the same shell they use on Their Tandem hubs. I am assuming your bike is spaced the normal 135mm in the rear. The Cliff Hanger is designed to be a free ride rim so it is designed to be very strong.

Price will be 375.00 plus shipping, (shipping is from 14.00 to 22.00 depending on where you are) We will guarantee this wheel for a year of hard riding, but it will likely last you for 2500 to 3500 miles, 3 to 5 years depending on how much you ride.

I am not sure what size tires you run but it you run big tires that will help the durability of your wheel. For your weight I would run at least 2.3 minimum for Tires.

By the way if you ride consistently no wheel will last forever. "

I did not take him up on it yet. I am currenly evaluating a full suspension bike (either the Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, or Kona Coiler are my current thoughts) so that some pressure can be taken off the rear wheel.

HOpe this helps. Good luck!

Are you gonna eat that?
    I'm 250 as well, running Shimano XT hubs and Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims, w/ 14g stainless spokes, so a not dissimilar build to the Performing Berks wheelset I linked to, although mine were built by a guy at my bike shop, so they were definitely put together well.

I'm mostly a cross country rider, but I've bollocksed up more than my share of bunny hops and slammed my wheels into some pretty nasty ruts at 25mph and have yet to do more than just snap a spoke in about 1000 miles.

For $100, I'd you can pretty much regard the performance bike wheelset as disposable

I'd certainly have a hard time dropping nearly 400 on a single wheel.