Thread: Broken Hubs

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Broken Hubs

New to the Site and I know that there are different forums relating to this matter. i just have to find out if there are any other hard riding guys out there who have had as bad of luck as I have with Free Hubs. I went through 4 Shimano SLX free hubs before they would refund the cost of Hub. And Today after just over 75 miles I have destroyed an Halo Spin Doctor 6 disc drive. This Hub is offered in both 36 and 48 hole versions. I have the 36. I don't know any 150-180 lb guy that are wanting or needing to run 36 or 48 hole. I figured halo would have made this Hub to withstand the stress we big guys can out on it. Is my only hope to get in a granny gear and spin up a hill with the girls so I don't break anything??

mtbr member
    There's plenty of hope as it has been discussed numerous times. Try a search, you'll find lots of good suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    How big if a Clyde r u? I was 30lbs heavier when I started using m529 hub, im 270 now and still on same freehub body, no issues yet been riding the hell outta it for a year now. I have taken the time to learn smooth shifting and not getting to aggressive with standing/mashing. At $20 a free hub body im happy if they last a yr, ecstatic if im going to get a second year out of it .

Now as for what's there depends on what u want to spend. Hope with steel freehub bodies are doing well from reviews (doing research for wheelset upgrade currently), Chris king and dt Swiss however seem to be the most highly regarded but ur going to pay for it too.

Oh and spoke count means nothing, the rougher the terrain the stronger the wheels need to be.

I know there's some other options, just do some digging. I got my m529 recommendation here for a hub I could afford at the time, it ain't fancy but its holding up well. So the guys here know their stuff. Deeper u dig the more options ull find
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd bet it is more to do with abuse than power. Are you mashing up hills? Changing gear halfway?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I'd bet it is more to do with abuse than power. Are you mashing up hills? Changing gear halfway?
    Abuse? I have learned in the hard way about not switching while under load. I would understand if that were when mechanicals were occouring. As for the mashing up hills, I do prefer to push myself up the hill opposed to spinning in granny gear. Maybe I have been going at this wrong I wasn't aware that pedaling up a grade with stead pressure would cause malfunctions.

Thanks to all for the responses. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Spinning up hills...your hub and knees will thank you. Mashing up the climbs doesn't make you more of a man...it just tears up your body and bike and eventually something gives (flesh or metal) and you're off the bike.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Spinning up hills...your hub and knees will thank you. Mashing up the climbs doesn't make you more of a man...it just tears up your body and bike and eventually something gives (flesh or metal) and you're off the bike.
    Point taken. I've only been riding again for about a year. Its been about 18 years since I've been on a bike. I got up to 427 lbs and nowbthat I am at 270 I guess I'm trying to keep up with my sons. I hope my free hub is repairable and if so I will rethink charging up the hills.

Thanks for the good advice.

mtbr member
    That's what happens to us as we get older. Our body just can't keep up with the young ones as well. I'd rather fall a little behind on the climb but live to ride again rather than try to show the young pups that dad still has some legs but end up getting hurt and then you can't ride with them at all. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 38 and I am starting to realize that I can't ride with/like the young guys in their teens and early 20's without working harder and risking more wear and tear on my body. I don't recover like I did 10 years ago either so whatever I do to myself today...I suffer for the next week rather than just the next day. I just want to look towards the future and make sure I can still ride in my 50's and 60's and even beyond.

As far as mashing up the hills...there's a time and place for that...short steep little climbs, but for anything sustained...spinning is the way to go. You just gotta find the gearing that's comfortable and that doesn't require too much mashing risking the knees but yet gets you up fast enough that you don't "get passed by the girls"

mtbr member
    At 33 I get frustrated my body doesn't want to do what I want it to, I ride 1x10 30-11/36 works well around here, I still power some and don't spin as fast as most and don't care if I fall behind on the climbs, added traction and momentum from my weight helps me on the down grades catch up some lost ground.

Worry less, kids are faster, enjoy the ride save ur bike and body, show them how its done going back down.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    This times infinity

Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog