mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Broke my Mach429 - Looking for a new frame

I have been riding a Pivot Mach429 for about 3 years. I LOVE that bike. But after 3 years of hauling my lard ass around -I found cracks at the bottom of the seat tube and the DW Link mount below the seat tube. Yes I've already replaced that frame but that process has me looking for another bike.

I had my eye on the Thumper frame and even had one on order before they closed that shop. I'm looking for recommendations for a good performing frame that will hold up under a 230 lb 6'4" not so smooth rider. The frame that looks best right now is a Niner RIP 9. Any comments on performance or longevity under a clyde? Any other frame you would recommend.

BTW - I have found that anything with QR axles don't work for me. I flex them enough to rub the tires on the frame or forks just by mashing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Lots of threads on mtbr regarding fs bikes for big guys.

Yeti sb95
    Banshee Prime
    New Banshee Phantom
    Niner RIP or WFO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm on my third WFO frame right now, and as of last week it is starting to get the tell-tale "click" that have heard the last two times I've cracked the frame. I inspected it after my ride yesterday, but can't see any noticeable cracks. I'm afraid this one isn't going to last much longer.

I'm bummed to hear your 429 is cracking. That was my next bike, but if you're breaking it at 230lbs, I'm surely going to have similar problems at my weight.

Test rode a C-dale Tigger 29er 1 a couple months ago. The factory rep said it would hold my weight, and they would honor the lifetime frame warranty. That's pretty tempting right there alone...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The new redesigned Niner RIP 9 frames look very promising. They have strengthened the area around the main pivot on the seat tube that has had some issues with very large riders (300+). At 230 lbs I would think you'd be golden. I have also been very impressed with their customer support. Highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    I 2nd the Rip 9. I have an older version frame but it has been great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Turner builds some stout bikes...I am a similar weight at 6'5" and have had no issues with the Sultan

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I second Turner!
    They build great frames and give you great support if you have any issues.
    I have 2 frames and no problems!!!

mtbr member
    Was that the alloy or carbon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 230 and ride chunky all mountain trails in Phoenix. My riding style resembels that of a tank. I just craked a weld on my 2010 rip 9. (chain stay at the bottom bracket, right at the year 3 mark) many shops have said nines is not the strongest frame. I pulled the trigger on a carbon stump jumper fsr. I chose the stumpy and because of the carbon (I believe it's stronger than aluminum), and life time warranty. If I'm spending more than 3k on a bike it's going to have more than a 2 year warranty. Well see what happens over time.