mtbr member

Broke a freewheel (again!)

I managed to break a Shimano M475 freewheel this weekend. Does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade a Shimano freehub body with this hub? I've blown a few up them up. It's usually the ones that come with the wheelset. I've bought some separately that have lasted a long time. Barring some upgrade, is there a particular hub brand that I should be looking at? I'm 270lbs riding a 40lb Kona Coiler up and down hills.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 07-31-2007 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Alright... I'm starting to look pretty hard at a set of wheels built around DT Swiss 440 hubs. It looks like DT and Chris King are the only ones using a star ratchet/ring engagement/radial ratchet. Are there any others that use a similar mechanism that are maybe less than $300 for a hub alone?

Captain Underpants
    Those are both good choices. The 440's are nice (but pricey), you could also look at Hope Pro II's--but they don't have the same engagement system. Mine have held up to all my abuse and keep coming back for more.

Making fat cool since '71
    I ride Kings on my squish and Hope Pro 2's on my rigid. I love both. No issues from either (well, the aluminum freehub on the king is soft, but...).

King, Hope, and Hadley are the only hubs (at the moment) I would consider.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if I'm reading it right or not, but it sounds like the Hope and Hadley use an offset pawl system where only one pawl engages at any time. Maybe that's okay. I have had LX level Shimano freehubs last a long, long time. I even ripped the star splines off a hub with one once.

Instead of a hub, what about fully built wheels? Do the Azonic Outlaws or Transition Revolution wheelsets use hubs that are anywhere close to the durability of a Hope or Hadley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're breaking Shimano freehubs, you need to upgrade to one of the aforementioned hubs (Hadley, DT Swiss 440/Hugi FR, King, Hope).

I have 2 Hadleys, one Hugi FR, and one King. Never tried the Hopes. Hadleys are my favorite by far, and have the most mileage on them with absolutely no issues. Had a pair of King ISO discs that wouldn't stay tight (known infrequent problem).

If you get the Hadley 36pt engagement model (the one found on most top-shelf DH bikes), it has 3 simultaneously-engaging pawls and is absolutely bombproof. The 72pt model has 4 pawls that engage 2 at a time - not as strong/balanced as 3 points of contact. The discontinued 108pt model had 3 pawls engaging one at a time, was a bad idea, they blew up but Hadley would convert them to 72pt or 36pt for free. Engagement is not as quick as the Kings, but I find it to be plenty fast enough for extremely technical climbs, and is twice as fast as Shimano and Hugi (both of which feel too slow).

mtbr member
    I've found a few sources for the 72pt Hadley, but not so many for the 36pt with an axle that will fit the Coiler. They seem to like to put a 12mm axle in that one. Any recommendations on where to look?

I found some images from rebuilds of Hope and Hadley hubs and the Hadley definitely has the burlier looking pawls. The Hope looks like it has a stronger spring system under the pawls to force them into position, which could be very beneficial. The hope is tempting because, if it worked, it would be ~$50+ cheaper. The hope also looks ridiculously easy to service, although I'm hoping I don't have to do that too frequently to any hub I get.

I was looking pretty hard at that DT Swiss 440FR, but found a parts list that said the star ratchet is the same for the 240 and 440.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You can request a steel freehub body on the kings which tend to last a bit longer.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!