Thread: Breaking Chains

gray6431

Breaking Chains

I Keep Breaking My Sram991. Can Anyone Help With This And Maybe A Recomendation On What I Should Use If Not The 991.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gray6431
    I Keep Breaking My Sram991. Can Anyone Help With This And Maybe A Recomendation On What I Should Use If Not The 991.
    try a wipperman, kmc or shimano (plus sram master link). low to mid range stuff has been fine for me.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Depends on what u are doing after they break. Are u taking a link out and using the same chain? Or buying a new chain?
    If u have been using ur drivetrain for a long while, the chain and rear cogs 'stretch' for lack of a better term or get worn in together. When u put a new chain on ur old rings they tend to skip and/or continue to break. A new rear cogset along with a new chain should remedy the problem.

exacerbated member
    Get in a higher gear sooner and apply the power with more finesse and precision.

This of course assumes you are snapping your chain. If it is shifting issues or bad chain line that are weakening it then there are other issues to address also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    XTR and learn to soft peddle your shifts.

Captain Underpants
    Regular or hollow pin? I run the reg with no prob, but clean it frequently. Also, check to see if the chain is stretched.

banned
    I am 285lbs on a SS 29er and have never broken a chain even though the SS requires standing a lot to climb. I think the guys are right about the drivetrain. Get a new Sram, it'll be fine. The Shimano mid-range is also good. The Wipperman is good but $$$

mtbr member
    I think you should give a few more details- like what you're doing when they break, how far you go between breaks, and whether you're replacing or repairing the chain. You've got a problem- and sad to say, it's probably not your massive quads. Even pros rarely break chains. I've got SRAMs on all my bikes, thousands of miles, and (knocking on wood) never had one break.
    To the troll mobile, away...

gray6431

Your probably right!!!!!!

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty fee of the same place on the trail " A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running sram s80 cassette and race face dues cranks the chain is sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. ooopppssss To late got the bug bad now thanks guy for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty fee of the same place on the trail " A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running sram s80 cassette and race face dues cranks the chain is sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. ooopppssss To late got the bug bad now thanks guy for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty feet of the same place on the trail." A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running Sram S80 cassette and Race Face dues cranks the chain is Sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension Fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. ooops To late got the bug bad now. Thanks guy for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty feet of the same place on the trail." A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running Sram S80 cassette and Race Face dues cranks the chain is Sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension Fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. ooops To late got the bug bad now. Thanks guys for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty feet of the same place on the trail." A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running Sram S80 cassette and Race Face dues cranks the chain is Sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension Fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. ooops To late got the bug bad now. Thanks guys for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431

Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty feet of the same place on the trail " A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running Sram S80 cassette and Race Face dues cranks the chain is sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension Fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 Fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. oops To late got the bug bad now. Thanks guys for the comments and the help.
    Gray

gray6431
    Sorry Guys Puter Is Srewing Up

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    When I used to break chains regularly it was usually because of bad chainline or mis shifts, or riding an over-worn chain.

I now just use whatever chain I can get for 20-30 bucks, but try to get chains with mushroomed pins (e.g. shimano hg90 or 7701, or sram 991 hollowpin - so usually i'm buying chains on sale or when I can get them cheap). I also change my chain frequently (max is about three months lifetime), and I'm very particuarly about keeping my drivetrain clean and properly lubricated.

My behavior at gear change and use of gears on climbing has gotten a lot more smooth, even though I do a lot of grunt climbing, being the thrust-2-weight ratio affected Clyde that many of us are.

Soooo, if you can work on your pedalling/gear-use technique a bit, keep on the drivetrain maintenance (if nothing else on the bike), and keep from running overworn drivetrain components, you'll holpefully stop breaking chains.

mtbr member
    Your probably right about the quads. It is most likely me. I broke the chain twice with in twenty feet of the same place on the trail " A big Climb". I haven't been riding that long and loving it though. I have dropped 60 lbs this summer. My dive train is new and has been updated on my TREK ex5 I'm running Sram S80 cassette and Race Face dues cranks the chain is sram 991 . I have upgraded everything rear suspension Fox rp23 and fork is the 08 f120 Fox. I was just to big for the entry level components that came on this bike. Being my first bike I did'nt want to jump off into a high end bike before I knew if I would like the sport. oops To late got the bug bad now. Thanks guys for the comments and the help.
    Gray
    If you broke it twice within 20 feet that means you repaired it, right? Did it break at the same link? Or do you carry a spare chain? Or did it happen on different rides?

"Cross chaining" (big chainring while using the big cassette gear, or vice versa) puts a lot of stress on drive train components, but shouldn't cause an instant chain failure.

Good for you on dropping the 60 lbs.! The health and self esteem benefits will more than justify the cost of a few chains.
    To the troll mobile, away...

29 some of the time...
    Rather topical for me. I just snapped a chain last night. upshifted under load and then a few seconds later the chain gave. Definitely should lighten up during shifts. Is there and echo in here

You can only abuse a chain for so long. If it is over 6 months in the field then you are going to have to take it easy on it.

I usually use a mid level SRAM chain and replace it more often as opposed to a more expensive chain and taking better care
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I also change my chain frequently (max is about three months lifetime), and I'm very particuarly about keeping my drivetrain clean and properly lubricated.
    I keep a rotating stock of chains and rotate them every 8 rides or so, then clean them/lube them when they come off the bike. works great.

Members who have read this thread: 0