mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Brand New vs Custom

i would like to know whether taller riders out there are finding it easier to customize their rig (aftermarket frames, seatposts etc.) to get the right fit as opposed to searching around for a tall bike which seem to be hard to come by at your local bike store these days. I am 6'6" and am currently squeezing onto a 20" hardtail - I was only about 6' when i got the bike.

I was always concerned about the resale of the bike when considdering customizations but i am now starting to figure that there arent loads of 6'6" riders out there who are potential buyers, so a bike taylored to me seems logical.

If you are a tall rider i am interested to know what sort of setup you are running and how you think it compares to an off-the-shelf model.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm sure you can find prebuilt kits in your size. Was at the bike store the other day and saw a 2xl Giant Trance. I was pretty surprised.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    wow sounds like you are prime for a 29er ;-)...

um all depends on if you can find a bike that fits you for how you buy... you get a much better deal buying new then piecing together a frame with new parts... IMHO most bikes are going to need a different stem, possibly bars, and saddle to start with even for most people...

anyway i'll say this before i get into the rest of the info... i'm a fat guy... and prefer my bars to be a smidge lower or about even with my saddle... a fairly upright seating position i'd say by most peoples standards... prob has a bit to do with my gut haha.

anyway... I ride both a 21" redline d440 and a 20" surly karate monkey... the redline was a factory bike... @ right about 6'3-6'4 (one of these days i'll get a proper measurement)... the frame fits OK... the bar/stem combo left me to stretched out though botha bit to low and a bit to long... a riser stem (with shorter overal reach) and raiser bar took care of that... the smaller frame would still have required a riser stem/bar combo and prob a taller seatpost...

the karate monkey is only 0.2" shorter top tube length but seems to fit me a lot better... i rode it just fine with a flat bar on a 90mm 10* rise stem with a no setback seatpost (the way the seat tube is made acts as a bit of setback from the pedals)... I did have to add a riser bar to it when I went to another fork that had a shorter steer tube

if you could find a bike thats close to fit you should be able to get a comfy fit on it with a little work... new or custom you'll prob have to play with the fit a bit still
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do 29ers have an issue with the wheels coming out of true more often than on 26's? It seems with the same size hub but longer spokes, wheels would come out of wack more often.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    in theory yes... in reality... not really... unless you are a hucker.... 36 spoke wheels would be good though.

i'm 300#... hasn't been an issue for me... but I did manage to bust 3 spokes on my POS machine built wheels on my redline this last weekend (metric century)... granted I did ride 40+ miles down 1 spoke before the other 2 spokes had issues haha... so did the last 10 miles on 29 spokes (32 spoke wheel)

on my good wheelset I haven't had a single problem...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm 6-2 and have long legs. I ride a giant reign and put a 7 inch travel totem on it to get the bars higher. I also installed 2 inch rise bars. The bike feels pretty comfortable.Steep downhills feel way better.At 6-6 you should demo a 29er you might like it. I didn't it felt like riding a road boke in the woods and kinda logey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hmm, 29er sounds interesting... for a short term solution, would getting a longer seatpost, headstem etc have any weird effects on the bike and its handling?

Scottish Rogue
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg
    hmm, 29er sounds interesting... for a short term solution, would getting a longer seatpost, headstem etc have any weird effects on the bike and its handling?
    I dont think that it have any Weird effects so to speak, It may take some time to get used to.

I think you should check out the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29. I have one I am 6'1" at 300lbs my frame is a 17". On the specialized I was on a 21 inch frame with the 26" wheels. My Moto is the best bang for the buck 29er on the market. check them out at bikesdirect.com or Motobecane.com if you go to the Motobecane dealer you pay 45-60 dollars over bikesdirect but they set it up for you and give you free service for life. I gave 850 at cycle spectrum in Houston Tx. bikesdirect wants 799.95 and you do the setup and your own service.......just food for thought

Here is the specs on my Moto it is bone stock

Frame MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses
    Fork RockShox TORA RS318 WITH LOCKOUT, Up to 100mm travel*, Adjustable Rebound, SoloAir
    *Up to 100mm travel with easy conversion
    Crankset TruVativ FireX 22/32/44T with integrated GXP BB
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ GXP external bearing
    Pedals Mountain Platform
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano LX Mega-9 Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
    Chain Z9000 super narrow 9 speed
    Hubs Gravity by Formula Sealed Bearing Disc with Quick Release
    Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel
    Rims WTB FX28 Disc Black anodized Aluminum
    Tires WTB MotoRaptor 29x2.1
    Brakes Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 185mm rotor
    Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3 for Disc Brake
    Headset FSA or CaneCreek (NoChoice) Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 in
    Handlebar Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6
    Stem Black Finish Aluminum threadless
    Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound
    Saddle WTB SpeedV
    Seat Post Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Alloy with Quick Release
    Sizes 15", 17", 19", 21"

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    one thing i will say is ride a 29er before you get one. many people say that 29ers are good for taller people but i cant stand how they handle. they all handle much slower than a 26" counter part. its all personnel preference. also i'm 6'5" for a reference.